Round 2 Vs Geelong Match Preview Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Round 2 Vs Geelong Match Preview Thread

Post by paddyl90 »

Well onto this week and although it will be a good test, i would have preferred it to have been a couple of weeks later. I am anticipating a reasonably entertaining game and I would not be surprise if we would win, big call but we almost pushed them last year but if we had Lucas I'd be more confident. The only thing that worries me is that we beat Geelong and lose to Carlton and i can't take it anymore :P. Neagle or Johns are the most likely to come into the team unless I have forgotten someone else. Looking forward to this match very much.

What are your expectations for this game? / What would you be happy with

My expectations are simple to maintain the same form from yesterday and I would love to see us push them, even win but I would be extremely happy with a loss under 3 or 4 goals at least. Bit rich maybe but form can't just disappear in 6 days...

Thoughts.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Round 2 Vs Geelong Match Preview Thread

Post by billyduckworth »

The short break will definitely be a factor. It was very hot and sticky at the Dome on Monday.
It may all come down to how good our recovery is under whats-his-name they brought out from China.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

If our backline gets on top of the cats forwards, we find some good targets up forward and our midfield applies enough pressure on bartel, selwood and ablett when they haven't got the ball. then we will push the pussy cats.

they are playing damn well though, if they hit top gear playing us, well it could get ugly.

Just how good Watson, Houli, Dyson, Winders(?), Lovett(?), JJ etc stack up against their mids will decide the game.

oh and if our midfielders don't give the ball to Lloyd, Johns/Hille/Laycock/Mcphee/NLM on a platter. Scarlett and co will crucify us.

they are easily the best team going around at the moment. least we are getting them week 2 before they are probably all up and running.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Kelly, Corey, Enright, Ling

vs

Watson, McVeigh, Stanton, Johnson, Houli, Nash, Dyson

EEEEEEEK!

We'll be fitter (they won't be running at full speed yet) and quicker. They'll be bigger, have a much longer break and are loads better. The key to beating them will be matching them for pressure they place on the ball carrier and conversely executing under that pressure.

Form would suggest either a close loss or an absolute belting. Expect some of the kids that stepped up against North to struggle a bit... consistency is an old man's game! We might have a better chance if Ottens is still out - the West / Blake ruck combination is their achilles heal.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

For mine, I reckon we can match it against the pussies.

My main concern is skills. Whilst we ran the roos off the ground on Monday, if we make similar skill errors like we did against the roos, the pussies will crucify us on the turnover and make life misery for Fletch, Mal, Paddy and Co...
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Our centre clearances and delivery into the forward line will be crucial. During the latter part of Sunday's game, admittedly after it was well and truly won, we just bombed away into the forward line to see the opposition take about 7 uncontested marks. With Scotty and his superb leading gone, we need to sharpen up on delivery to the forwards and not waste a single opportunity. Back line is solid, so if we can break even in the middle and hit targets down forward, I am quietly confident of a good showing. I dare not think about winning just yet.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

We will match them for 3 qtrs like last year.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

If there is any pressure, it is on them.

We will give them a real run for their money. I dont reckon their forward line is as good as what people think. Mooney isnt that good. Mal or Fletch will easily account for him. I believe last time Paddy was able to take care of Hawkins and apart from that they have midfielders? Chapman would be a slight worry, and resting midfielders. Who else have they got?

If we rotate our midfielders accordingly to keep them quick and fresh i dont see how we cant match them. Also if we have Lloyd, our resting Ruckman, Mcphee possibly and Nathan Lovett Murray, they are all good overhead and can certainly create a contest and we would be better at ground level with Jetta, Davey, Lonergan at ground level.

You would expect them to win, but i think we are up to seriously challenging them.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

We have 4 to 6 weeks on them in pre-season training.

We come off a handy win against last years prelim finalists.

We have 1 injury.

Good a time as any to take them on I guess.
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
Splodge
Top Up Player

Post by Splodge »

Anything less than a 25 point defeat tomorrow morning, i'm claiming it as a victory

Carn you BOMBERS
Carlton Football Club - Surely a contradiction in terms?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Sydney V Port Live on Austar AND Free TV...

Bombers V Geelong.... replay at 7:30

f****** JOKE!!!

thats all i have to say about it
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Jazz_84 wrote:Sydney V Port Live on Austar AND Free TV...

Bombers V Geelong.... replay at 7:30

f****** JOKE!!!

thats all i have to say about it
Where do you live? In Melbourne the Essendon vs Geelong game is at 3pm delayed and their is no Sydney vs Port.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Adelaide we've got the Port v Sydney game on right now... grr! Just checking the guide to see if we're on at all. Yep, we're delayed at 3.30. At least I'll get to see some of it. I have to leave at 5.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant