9 BAD Injuries

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Re: 9 BAD Injuries

Post by DC »

Yeah Filth, this isnt looking good at all.

players dropping like flies. Im not sure how Bendigo went on the weekend, but probably Welsh will be back for Essendon this week to take on the Dogs.

Westy being injured will surely help, considering we have been getting flogged in the middle. Maybe just one change, In Welsh Out Jetta(inj)?

I still think we can beat the dogs. Thet are playing well no doubt, but we are still a chance.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

Word going around is Winderlich may have done his hammy late against Carlton!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Agree Filth, any more injuries at this stage of the season could be very damaging going forward. With such a young team, you need these guys playing together consistently. These constant forced changes to the lineup are disrupting to the 'team flow' and puts seeds of doubt in young players heads. Poor Courtney Dempsey and Scott Gumbleton, they must be terrified about going out onto the field again for fear of re-injuring their dodgy Hammies.

The club should commission a high level, international sports fitness consultant to look at our training methods to determine if their is anything we can do better to mitigate the injury rate or to better rehabilitate players.

After all, the club has few lazy million sitting in the bank, why not use it. Its the one competitive advantage we have that the AFL hasnt yet got their hands on.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

What worries me is the consistincy with which we see players doing hammies...

I know that the youngsters are still growing and as such, this can place extra stress on muscles, but FFS can we get a medic who knows how to deal with these f****** things???
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

No arguement from this end Filth, but maybe that is part of the problem...

too young, body growing and muscles stretching and all that shit or too old, muscles shrinking body breaking down...

basically, come to EFC and guarantee yourself shit hammies...
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Windy_Hill wrote:
The club should commission a high level, international sports fitness consultant to look at our training methods to determine if their is anything we can do better to mitigate the injury rate or to better rehabilitate players.

After all, the club has few lazy million sitting in the bank, why not use it. Its the one competitive advantage we have that the AFL hasnt yet got their hands on.
=D>
Absolutely...it's the least they can do if they're going to let Quinn stay.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Dizzy_69 wrote:Word going around is Winderlich may have done his hammy late against Carlton!
I was sitting right behind the bench, and Windlerlich did come off in the third quarter (i think it was the third) clutching his hammy, went down into the rooms, came up 10 minutes later and kept playing. If he will miss a week, I am not sure.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gossy wrote:
Dizzy_69 wrote:Word going around is Winderlich may have done his hammy late against Carlton!
I was sitting right behind the bench, and Windlerlich did come off in the third quarter (i think it was the third) clutching his hammy, went down into the rooms, came up 10 minutes later and kept playing. If he will miss a week, I am not sure.
Yeah they showed him on TV and he looked really pissed off (probably at Quinn :lol: ) and I thought oh shit not again.... He went back on again soon after though and looked OK so not sure what it was about.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Gossy wrote:
Yeah they showed him on TV and he looked really pissed off (probably at Quinn :lol: ) and I thought oh shit not again.... He went back on again soon after though and looked OK so not sure what it was about.
Seeing as he went back on, it might just have been cramp. He wouldn't be properly match fit given the amount of footy he's missed recently, so maybe he was just cramping up late in the game.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Not a great track record. The club keeps saying that there is nothing they can see wrong with the way they train but it's very obvious that can't be the case. It can't just be bad luck can it?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

High Performance Manager: John Quinn
Fitness Coach: Joel Hocking
Club Doctors: Bruce Reid / Ian Reynolds
Physiotherapists: Paul Wise / Paul Lew / Bruce Connor

Take your pick.

Jobe Watson used to be a solid framed lump of a kid who ALWAYS had soft tissue injuries. He then went to a boxing coach (a la his Dad) and got himself in tip top condition and hasn't done one since. Something has worked for Jobe, and everyone's different. Need to find out what the frack is wrong with some individuals and provide a suitable program for them. Naturally, it's easier said than done.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Strewth, Welsh a no show this Friday - will play for Bendigo.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=5688
Andrew Welsh was today ruled out of contention for Friday night’s clash with the Bulldogs by coach Matthew Knights.

Welsh, who has played 117 games for the Bombers and is a member of the Club’s leadership group, is yet to play a senior game this season due to a battle with hamstring troubles. However, it is unlikely that Welsh will be out of senior action for much longer, with the Essendon forward expected to play for Bendigo this weekend before returning to the senior line-up in the coming weeks.

“If Andrew performs well at training today, he will play for Bendigo this weekend,” Knights said.

“Last time he played for Bendigo, he kicked five goals in the first half but then couldn’t complete the remainder of the game, so therefore, if he is fine, he will play VFL.”

Welsh is one of five players on the Essendon list that are currently recovering from hamstring injuries. Nathan Lovett-Murray, Scott Lucas, Scott Gumbleton and Leroy Jetta are also on the mend, but Knights believes the high quantity of hamstring injuries is no cause for alarm.

“We obviously have a number of hamstring injuries but they are different types of hamstring injuries,” Knights said. “Andrew Welsh and Scott Gumbleton, for example, are significantly back related whereas with Leroy Jetta and Courtenay Dempsey it is a case of young men who are getting used to playing who don’t have a lot of base behind them.

“It is disappointing to be without all of these guys because I have a lot of faith in them, but the team we are putting out there this week will play hard and will play their role and we will keep pushing on.”

Lovett-Murray is a chance to return to the senior side taking on the Western Bulldogs this Friday night.

In other injury news, Heath Hocking has been ruled out for 8-10 weeks with a groin injury, while Tom Hislop is expected to miss five weeks of football after having a screw inserted in his wrist following an injury during a Bendigo practice match.

Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Let me float something out there people.

How many Dome based teams have won Premierships since we did in 2000? Nil.

How many Dome based teams have made GF's since us in 2001? Nil.

Which teams have been most affected by injury the last 4 to 5 years? Essendon, StKilda, and Western Bulldogs. All Dome based teams. (ok, maybe I am leaving out Melbourne).

Why do our mid-fielders become crocks and washed up by the time they reach their late 20's? Mercuri, Misiti, JJ. I reckon North are going to run into the same problems now they are playing an extra 25% of their games at the Dome.

IMO, you just cant play our game on a concrete surface.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:Let me float something out there people.

Which teams have been most affected by injury the last 4 to 5 years? Essendon, StKilda, and Western Bulldogs. All Dome based teams. (ok, maybe I am leaving out Melbourne).

Why do our mid-fielders become crocks and washed up by the time they reach their late 20's? Mercuri, Misiti, JJ. I reckon North are going to run into the same problems now they are playing an extra 25% of their games at the Dome.

*shrugs shoulders*

There could be substance to the theory, but there could also be contradictions to it also. Saints play more games than us there (they're scheduled to play 14 games to our 11 this year) and Robert Harvey is still running around at 37. Some of our kids haven't even set foot on the ground and they have done soft tissue injuries either at training or at Bendigo.

Geelong also had their injury woes and sacked Loris Bertolacci, their fitness "guru". They then smashed the competition the following year with a record grand final margin. Did pissing Bertolacci off help Geelong win the flag? *shrugs shoulders*....perhaps.

However, I do believe the Dome surface of the past contributed significantly to soft tissue injuries due to the shifting ground. Quite often you would see players lose their footing during a change of direction which would have caused extra strain on their muscles / tendons. I haven't seen many players go down this year - nor many last year from memory.

So I guess I agree that there was a contributing factor with the TD surface, but I think it was related to the shifting turf rather than the concrete base. There could be 101 different factors to all our injury woes, and quite frankly, I haven't got a clue :?
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Hopefully Collo's hydroponics lab that he has running down there will fix some problems.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Beat me to it Robbie.

CRAP STADIUM AT IT AGAIN! :evil:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robbie67 wrote:Let me float something out there people.

Like Benny, i'm not sold one way or the other as to this hypothesis. The ground has now improved significantly from where it was 4-5 years ago (when it undoubtedly did have a negative effect on how players pulled up after the game) and the hydroponic lighting system they're trialling this year to keep the grass growing through winter will hopefully improve the ground further.

I'll only ever be swung one way or the other when they start providing penetrometer readings on all the grounds. My guess is that at this stage of the season, Subiaco would be by far and away the firmest ground in the league due to the fact that a Perth summer would have to be extremely punishing on any exposed surface.