CJ MUST BE GIVEN A CHANCE TO PLAY!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
stryper
High Draft Pick

CJ MUST BE GIVEN A CHANCE TO PLAY!!!

Post by stryper »

Clearly this must be done... Yes has had his injury problems... Yes has been inconsistent... But with Lloydy and Lucas out we desperately need to give him a chance...
It is now or never...
This Guy could be anything... He has come back from the impossible and proven the doctors wrong...
Maybe he will be no goood but then again maybe he will fire up big time...
I am still a big believer in this Guy and I say GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!!

Who else do we have at the moment to fill a massive hole...
Also has been getting some experience playing in the backline so switch him between forward and back - another big option that we need...

If he fails then so be it but He deserves a chance just like some of the others!!!

Knighta is doing a great job with this team and we are headed in the right direction - definately...

Keep up the good work =D>

CJ PROVE EM WRONG!!! and stand up and be counted!!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: CJ MUST BE GIVEN A CHANCE TO PLAY!!!

Post by jimmyc1985 »

He's had plenty of chances. Aside from a few glimpses, he's no bloody good.

Another famous Sheedy project predicated on the defunct notion that you can have 60 guys on your list, which hasn't been the case for 15 years.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree he has already had plenty of chances.
But I also agree this is the ideal opportunity for him - it's now or never.
Why bother to keep him on the list if we are not going to play him?
He is named as an emergency.... :?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

billyduckworth wrote:Why bother to keep him on the list if we are not going to play him?
He's contracted until the end of this year. I stand to be corrected on this, but as i recall, all of the players that departed at the end of last year (Cole, Heffernan, Bolton, Bradley, MJ, Campo and Hird) had expired contracts, so we effectively didn't need to 'sack' anyone. 7 guys gone in one off-season was enough. He was just lucky that his contract didn't expire at the end of last year.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Agree that right now is his best chance to be given a go....but if the people in charge aren't seeing him do enough in the seconds to be given that opportunity, than so be it.

It's no good saying "well maybe he's just a big game performer who will get it done in the real stuff"....he needs to get it done all the time. The club doesn't owe him any easy chances served up on a platter, if anything it's Courtney that owes the club.

Having said that I do like the guy and would love to see him come in and suddenly become Barry Hall....but it's really looking more and more like that's not going to happen. Goodybe at the end of the year I reckon.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Could also be a late inclusion
Whisper around is that CJ in - Not sure who is out... That could be why he is listed as an emergency
Having said that perhaps Knighta is ensuring that he is fully ready to go as I am certain he was injured last week and didn't play...
Anyway if he does get his chance whether that be this week or next Guarantee he will at some stage, I hope he really pulls his finger out and sticks it up everyone...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What are people expecting him to do "if" he does play? 3 or 4 goals enough, or do some expect him to blitz and bag 8? What would a "successful" game entail for Courtney Johns??
Essendunny
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

In answer to your question Ben...
Just to be a Team player and work his ass off - If he kicks 3 or 4 so be it... 8 sensational but for me show some Leadership!!! Big Body,Great Mark Great Kick, Hard worker - ???

Play a bit of ten pin bowling and Hard at it...

Thats what I want to see...

This is his Last chance to show these qualitities this year!!!
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Give him a crack on Scott Welsh (similar size & speed) in defence with Paddy in the forward line. If it's not working out, then switch him in to the forward line in the 2nd half. Unfortunately he hasn't set the world on fire in the 2nds, so it would be too much to expect him to slot in FF & kick a bag.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:
And whats happened to Neagle? He apparently blitzed the pre season and the NAB thingy and now all of a sudden is unfit. What gives? :shock:
Well, Neagle just had the one good game - wouldn't say he blitzed. He went in solidly, marked well, and kicked well. However, he was out of condition, and was puffing hard. His latest injury set back doesn't help his lack of fitness at the moment either.
Essendunny
5Alive
Top Up Player

Post by 5Alive »

Guys I reackon give him a crack at both ends too. Saw him in the NAB at Subi and he woked really hard down back and did a lot of good things. He just needs confidence forward he always looks like he thinks hes getting in the way!!
I bleed black with a red sash
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He has to show he is worth playing by proving himself in the VFL.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Was surprised he wasnt selected.

The guy should start thinking about a second job - clearly AFL isnt going to work out for him.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

I wouldnt say his real chance has come until now. In the past the 50 had been occupied by 2 big forwards with little space, not to mention the fact that midfielders would be looking for Lloyd/Lucas first. If he plays tonight the 50 is his for the first time.

I would be satisfied with 3 goals minimum if he helps set up a couple more, whether it be by a direct assist, forward line pressure or simply making a contest and keeping the ball alive.
LND
Top Up Player

Post by LND »

I think Pev will be dropped and CJ in,

If not then unfortunately his career is over. Did a bloody good job to get back playing, showed heaps just doing that.

Imagine being told your finished?? Lot of courage and balls to get back and do it. Just a shame he hasn;t shown the same aggression and desire on the ground
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Johns is not a great kick by any stretch
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

If he is in I would say it would be for NLM as he is coming back from injury and I don't think he played in the VFL last week.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

[quote="jimmyc1985"]He's had plenty of chances. quote]

He's played only 19 games Jimmy - is that really plenty of chances?

I hope he is a late inclusion - I hope he plays forward - and I hope the team kick it to him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:Johns is not a great kick by any stretch
In his last 10 AFL games he has kicked 10 goals 1 behind. His kicking at goal has been pretty good when he's had the opportunity up forward. And I think he played his last 2 matches in defence. He's 23, big, strong and struggling. He hasn't performed to the level most have expected by this stage, that is for sure.
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

tonysoprano wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:He's had plenty of chances.
He's played only 19 games Jimmy - is that really plenty of chances?

I hope he is a late inclusion - I hope he plays forward - and I hope the team kick it to him.
He's played 19 AFL games, which is a few, but probably doesn't constitute 'plenty of chances'.

However, he's played plenty of times at VFL and hasn't done much, or hasn't done enough. A bloke his size with AFL aspirations should be killing it in the VFL - he's a mature, huge body who'd be playing against teenage beanpoles a lot of the time. f***, Kepler Bradley went back and blitzed at Bendigo last year and isn't in Freo's best 25 at the moment.

He doesn't get the ball kicked to him when he plays as a forward because he doesn't time his leads, or leads to the wrong areas, or doesn't offer enough leads. When the ball hits the deck, he's completely out of the contest.