CJ MUST BE GIVEN A CHANCE TO PLAY!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: CJ MUST BE GIVEN A CHANCE TO PLAY!!!

Post by jimmyc1985 »

tonysoprano wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:He's had plenty of chances.
He's played only 19 games Jimmy - is that really plenty of chances?

I hope he is a late inclusion - I hope he plays forward - and I hope the team kick it to him.
He's played 19 AFL games, which is a few, but probably doesn't constitute 'plenty of chances'.

However, he's played plenty of times at VFL and hasn't done much, or hasn't done enough. A bloke his size with AFL aspirations should be killing it in the VFL - he's a mature, huge body who'd be playing against teenage beanpoles a lot of the time. f***, Kepler Bradley went back and blitzed at Bendigo last year and isn't in Freo's best 25 at the moment.

He doesn't get the ball kicked to him when he plays as a forward because he doesn't time his leads, or leads to the wrong areas, or doesn't offer enough leads. When the ball hits the deck, he's completely out of the contest.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Why does anyone err "still believe in him"? What has he done to instill you with this confidence?

I feel that most people who think he "could be anything" are just hoping a great feeling story can come about: ie. a guy who was told he would never played football again but then guns it. As opposed to actually judging him on his talent (or lack thereof).
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

j-mac wrote:Why does anyone err "still believe in him"? What has he done to instill you with this confidence?

I feel that most people who think he "could be anything" are just hoping a great feeling story can come about: ie. a guy who was told he would never played football again but then guns it. As opposed to actually judging him on his talent (or lack thereof).

His game v Fremantle (2006) on one of their best (if not best) defenders that year - Michael Johnson - CJ towelled him up before getting injured. Kicked 3.4 inside 3qtrs wih two shots from beyond 50 hitting the post.

His 3rd qtr v Geelong last year - very influencial in keeping us in touch with the Cats until 3 qtr time - tlead well and showed total committment to every contest in his vicinity (both in the air and on the ground) - resulted in a couple of hard ball gets - one which finished with Rama's comeback goal. Given the team we were up against it was a very impressive quarter from a young guy with less than 20 games experience.

His improved kicking for goal. In his first year he was lucky to scrape a point, last year he became very good at finishing set-shots - notably a superb boundary line finish on half-time in the ANZAC day game.

Admittedly these are only snippets of talent - and on balance he probably hasn't done enough - but I think these examples suggest there is something about him that can be developed and turned into something of real value.
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

He can't hit a target at VFL level, he doesn't run to the right places. He is a dud. Yet another Sheedy project player that didn't work. Gone at the end of his current contract.
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes
The Don
Top Up Player

Post by The Don »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:He's had plenty of chances.
He's played only 19 games Jimmy - is that really plenty of chances?

I hope he is a late inclusion - I hope he plays forward - and I hope the team kick it to him.
He's played 19 AFL games, which is a few, but probably doesn't constitute 'plenty of chances'.

However, he's played plenty of times at VFL and hasn't done much, or hasn't done enough. A bloke his size with AFL aspirations should be killing it in the VFL - he's a mature, huge body who'd be playing against teenage beanpoles a lot of the time. f***, Kepler Bradley went back and blitzed at Bendigo last year and isn't in Freo's best 25 at the moment.

He doesn't get the ball kicked to him when he plays as a forward because he doesn't time his leads, or leads to the wrong areas, or doesn't offer enough leads. When the ball hits the deck, he's completely out of the contest.
He has to play next week, there are no other viable forward options. Sheedy project or not, with the limited opportunities he has had, I reckon he has looked pretty good. I agree with alot of what Jimmy has said above, but also dont forget that when he has played it has usually been as a 2nd or 3rd string forward with Lloyd or Lucas next to him. If you were a midfielder running forward confronted with the choice of Lloyd, Lucas or CJ on the lead, where would you go?

One thing that has really impressed me so far this year with Knighter is how much game time he is putting into guys like Lonergan, Jetta, Winderlich, Dyson, Nash, Reimers and Dempsey and the latitude he has given to guys like Watson, McVeigh, McPhee, Stanton, Monfries and Slattery. The team is flourishing and we are starting to see some great things. Yes there have been and will continue to be hiccups, but the style of play is much more exiting and entertaining to watch. The team seem to enjoy playing for Knighter and are in tune with the game he wants. I believe CJ could also bloom under Knighter given the right circumstance which is now. Simple fact: To win games, Essendon needs a goal kicking, leading forward.

The spirit of the great 2 time premiership legend Dean Wallis is with him. :wink: His time is now!

Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

He didn't play last night because he's not 100% fit. He's carrying another injury...