Captain McVeigh

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Captain McVeigh

Post by BenDoolan »

The captaincy really suited him. Played with great leadership, and is just a quality player. Shame about the injury because he would have got his 3rd BOG. Now he will miss a month :evil:

Not sure how much longer Lloyd is going to keep the captaincy, but I hope Macca gets it next.
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Captain McVeigh

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I concur.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

For three quarters it felt like we had an inspirational captain again last night.

Then, snap.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

BenDoolan wrote:The captaincy really suited him. Played with great leadership, and is just a quality player. Shame about the injury because he would have got his 3rd BOG. Now he will miss a month :evil:

Not sure how much longer Lloyd is going to keep the captaincy, but I hope Macca gets it next.
Spot on
Winning a B&F seems to be an unwritten requirement for the honor.
Mark is still a chance for a Crichton if he recovers quickly like Hirdy did last year.
We are losing our best player/leader at the moment :evil:
Red and Black Forever
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

spikefan wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:The captaincy really suited him. Played with great leadership, and is just a quality player. Shame about the injury because he would have got his 3rd BOG. Now he will miss a month :evil:

Spot on
Mark is still a chance for a Crichton if he recovers quickly like Hirdy did last year.
Lloyd hasn't won one though...
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He was brilliant last night. What type of hammy was it? Was he striding out or was it when he went to pick up the ball?

It's just a shame when a player starts a season on fire and gets injured. This was looking like his best season ever.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

BenDoolan wrote:
spikefan wrote:

Spot on
Lloyd hasn't won one though...

His 2 colemans are enough :wink:
Fraz
Top Up Player

Post by Fraz »

nomolos wrote: His 2 colemans are enough :wink:
Which must mean that his third Coleman is more than enough :wink:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nomolos wrote:

His 3 colemans are enough :wink:
Ah, well, yes! 8)

Correction for accuracy :wink:
Last edited by BenDoolan on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I thought the captaincy really suited McVeigh.
The injury clearly deflated the whole team.
The Don
Top Up Player

Post by The Don »

At the risk of opening up an old debate, it definitely makes a difference when your Captain is in the thick of it, be it in the middle or on the ball. Some of TD's, Watson's, Thompson's O'Donnell and Hird's most inspirational leadership was done in and under a pack or getting that contested posession against the flow. McVeigh has become a gritty ball winner who has flourished with the opportunities that Knights has given him, I agree that the team responded well to him last night. The injury is a tragedy but he will bounce back. Most importantly I think that we have seen the beginnings of a future Essendon captaincy last night.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Anyone know if he's still signing contracts on a yearly basis? It's time to secure him up with the new teams coming in. As we know, Spike loves a surf...

:wink:
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

Very disappointed with the injury - I'm a huge fan of McVeigh's. He has been instrumental and inspirational the last 4 weeks - it's going to be an enormous hole to fill.

In terms of captaincy - he's more in and under and seems to be able to get the players up to what's required. He took them in as a group before going into the rooms at half time, deliered what he needed and the results in the 3rd quarter speak for themselves.

Give the big (C) next to his name now... well... when he comes back from injury!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doctor Fish wrote:Anyone know if he's still signing contracts on a yearly basis? It's time to secure him up with the new teams coming in. As we know, Spike loves a surf...

He also loves the Essendon Football Club, which is very, very evident :wink:
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I backed Spike at 100/1 for the Brownlow and I reckon ofter 3 rounds that he would have been in good shape apart from ................!!!

I believe that he will go on to achieve statesman like status such as Watson, Madden, Hird etc and I hope that one day he will captain the team. He has all the qualifications and obviously bleeds for the club.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Doctor Fish wrote:Anyone know if he's still signing contracts on a yearly basis? It's time to secure him up with the new teams coming in. As we know, Spike loves a surf...

Some legends die hard, the last time Mark took a one year contract was in 2003. He signed for two years in 2004 and again for two year in 2006. I would expect the club to sign him promptly.
Red and Black Forever
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

He was captain courageous last night and was keeping us in the game early in the last quarter. You could tell by the look on his face and the way he threw his mouthguard at the bench that he was distraught with his injury. Hopefully it wasnt as serious as it looked on TV and will be back in a couple of weeks.

Spike is a lot better captain material that Lloydy thats for sure. If the captaincy was given to McVeigh it would allow Lloydy to get back to doing what he does best, kicking goals without having the added pressure of captaining the side.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I just had a horrible thought.

We all know the media speculation about Nick Riewoldt and that he might or might not move north, given McVeigh hails from NSW, do you think he might be tempted to move north by a no doubt cashed up West Sydney outfit? He would be 30 on Round 1, 2011 when it is expected that this new team will get up and running, so you would expect that he would have a few good years left at that stage.

I guess it is something to be cautious about, You would think that Essendon would be a prime target with the number of young talented kids who will probably be close to the top of their game come 2011.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

dom_105 wrote:I just had a horrible thought.

We all know the media speculation about Nick Riewoldt and that he might or might not move north, given McVeigh hails from NSW, do you think he might be tempted to move north by a no doubt cashed up West Sydney outfit? He would be 30 on Round 1, 2011 when it is expected that this new team will get up and running, so you would expect that he would have a few good years left at that stage.

I guess it is something to be cautious about, You would think that Essendon would be a prime target with the number of young talented kids who will probably be close to the top of their game come 2011.
Have a look at his speech at our b&f last year. The bloke bleeds red and black. He was asking the doc if he could go back on, in the last quarter on Friday night, despite being in pain trying to get off the ground in the first place. Mcveigh loves this footy club now, and I couldn't see him wanting to play at any other AFL club.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gossy wrote:
dom_105 wrote:I just had a horrible thought.

Have a look at his speech at our b&f last year. The bloke bleeds red and black. He was asking the doc if he could go back on, in the last quarter on Friday night, despite being in pain trying to get off the ground in the first place. Mcveigh loves this footy club now, and I couldn't see him wanting to play at any other AFL club.
There's no doubt about James Hird's influence and inspiration on Mark McVeigh. The passion in Spike's blood is like he's a Hird reincarnate. I believe he will remain at the club until he retires, and I also believe he will be skipper before he's finished.
Essendunny