I know I am biased but....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: I know I am biased but....

Post by BenDoolan »

We just got to eradicate those horrible turnovers that we execute. It's killing us on the rebound. I love the new game plan and the exciting passages of play........but sometimes, there is just one handball too many. Naturally our guys are simply getting used to the new style and they will make blunders along the way (as I have previously stated). But look out when we perfect it!
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I have been a great suppporter of Pev (and JJ) over the years but if the two of them struggle to embrace the new game plan and consustently make mistakes, I would rathr see a youngster in the team in their place, making mistakes.

At least a youngster should be able to adapt and would have 10 or so years ahead of them to contribute, whereas these great servants to the club are just about at the end of their career.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

rockhole wrote:I have been a great suppporter of Pev (and JJ) over the years but if the two of them struggle to embrace the new game plan and consustently make mistakes, I would rathr see a youngster in the team in their place, making mistakes.

At least a youngster should be able to adapt and would have 10 or so years ahead of them to contribute, whereas these great servants to the club are just about at the end of their career.
Tend to agree - i've normally supported Pev too but he was poor last night. However i'd nearly be willing to stake my life on the fact that this year is the last year for both Pev and JJ anyway, and given the amount of injuries we're carrying (particularly to senior players!), having them in the team serves a purpose and won't detract from the long-term development of the younger players.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

And lets not forget that Watto, Stanton and a few others also caused horrible turnovers last night. Stanton, though, played very well and nailed some goals......something that he should be doing more consistently playing the type of game he does. But yes, Pev and JJ are looking out of sorts with the new Bomber running game style.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I didint think Pev was that bad last night, i thought Watson made more turnovers than he did.

Was Pev playing on Johnson last night or was Slattery on him most of the night? Whoever it was i thought they did an admirable job.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

We are great when we have the ball - but when we don't - then we are awful.

In the 2nd & 3rd we were dominating general play - but still managed to concede 5 goals in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd.

Our defensive efforts are f****** AWFUL. Yes, many times we get hurt on the turnover - but far too often we switch off and are left in the dust.

And we still don't do nearly enough of the 1%ers - blocks, shepherds, smothers, general pressure on the ball carrier - and we miss TOO MANY f****** TACKLES.

Even though we can be super-exciting (e.g. 3rd qtr) - until we stop conceding big scores (i.e. 100+) we will never get anywhere.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

LIke all high risk investments, you have to be prepared to lose badly. However, the payoff can be spectacular
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It is very exciting to watch and when we get a full side back in it will be even better. When the side does perfect this game plan Lloyd and Lucas are going to have a field day as all our young midfielders have the skill to pass it lace out to them. The turnovers are a problem but that will fix itself as the younger players gain experience.The tackling will fix itself as they get stronger and are more able to hold onto opposition players.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

agree with all these thoughts ..

Definitley made a mistake not using CJ on Friday. Although I do like idea of our own Tom Hawkins .. Neagle (when he's not injured).

Was very dissapointed in Laycock. He got pushed around all night...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Filthy wrote:(except for that beautiful peripheral right foot pass to Rama in the 3rd)
His best kick for the night and was on his right!

Reminds me of a few years back some West Indian bowler was struggling mightily to even get bat on ball and Michael Holding goes: "I think I know what his problem is: he is batting the wrong way round."

Maybe Pev should kick with his right all the time.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.