The game plan sucks

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

The game plan sucks

Post by j-mac31 »

This fast, play-on style is exciting and effective when it works, but when we get into trouble its just one handball after another and its simply inevitable that a turnover will occur, its just a matter of when. And this happens too close to the other teams' goals. We need to slow down more often and take time to move the ball forward if the break away isn't on. And if we get in trouble, kick it long so at least when we turn it over, it's down our end and not theirs.

There is no defensive element to the game plan - the midfielders apply no pressure, the back line players (apart from the talls) are all runners and not defenders, and our best forward defender (Davey) is now spending plenty of time in the middle. One of Davey, Lovett or Jetta (when fit) needs to be up forward at all times to put pressure on the opposition. And with the backline, it's like Knights has seen guys like H. Shaw and McLeod be so good at running out of the backline and has decided to put a whole lot of them in there, without thinking about shut-down players. Doesn't help that McVeigh and Welsh have left the backline and M. Johnson was traded.
It works out that other teams clear our backline and move through the middle far too easily. We struggle to move forward and the opposition has no trouble.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: The game plan sucks

Post by jimmyc1985 »

We were plenty slow enough and took oodles of time with the ball up until half time last night and were comprehensively beaten, and looked shit. When we started moving it quickly in the 3rd was incidentally when we almost managed to play ourselves back in the game.

The game plan doesn't suck. It's a work in progress and will take seasons to get right. If anything, it's the players' execution of the plan that sometimes sucks.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

So it's a great game plan when we win, like the Norf game, but a shit game plan when we lose?

It's light years ahead of Sheeds 'keeping's-off, chipping backwards & sideways' crap.

It's nothing ground breaking either. It's the same game plan as Geelong's, it's just that they execute it better than us & have better foot skills & footy smarts (comes from experience).
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

CameronClayton wrote:So it's a great game plan when we win, like the Norf game, but a shit game plan when we lose?

It's light years ahead of Sheeds 'keeping's-off, chipping backwards & sideways' crap.

It's nothing ground breaking either. It's the same game plan as Geelong's, it's just that they execute it better than us & have better foot skills & footy smarts (comes from experience).

It's not the same game plan as Geelong - they don't concede 120+ each game...and they win games - something we don't do anywhere near enough for my liking.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

tonysoprano wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:So it's a great game plan when we win, like the Norf game, but a shit game plan when we lose?

It's not the same game plan as Geelong - they don't concede 120+ each game...and they win games - something we don't do anywhere near enough for my liking.
Geelong have been using this game plan for 8 years, we have used it for 5 weeks. Think about it.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Rather than bagging the game plan, try and remember what Knights has said time and again over the past 6-8 weeks and that is basically that we are only seeing the formative part of the overall plan at this stage.

He has acknowledged that the defensive side of things needs a lot of work but has also said that he doesn't want to overload the players with too much, too soon. The offensive side of the plan is still being "bedded down"

Part of the problem (imho) is that too many posters seem to think that we are a good team and can beat just about any other team we play.

That may be so in the next year or two but at present we are an fairly average team that plays an exciting brand of football (for 1-3 quarters a game).

IF everything goes to plan, then we can beat a lot of teams but given the new game plan, injuries to key players and the relative inexperience of a lot of our players, it is important to remember that we will more than likely lose more games than we win this year.

As long as I continue to see the young players getting games and experience, then I can live with another year without finals.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I dont know Swoodley, apparently Knights has only 5 weeks to turn around a team that has been shithouse and lazy for 4 years.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Rossoneri wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

Geelong have been using this game plan for 8 years, we have used it for 5 weeks. Think about it.
I don't accept that at all Rosso - I might concede they have used it for 2 years - prior to that they were constantly bagged for an over-possessing style of football much like "Sheeds 'keeping's-off, chipping backwards & sideways' crap".

The other aspect of their plan is to limit their opposition scoring by applying pressure on every opponent everywhere on the ground. We are not close to even thinking about this part of the game - and that bothers me enormously given the defensive record we have had for the past 4 years.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

tonysoprano wrote: I don't accept that at all Rosso - I might concede they have used it for 2 years - prior to that they were constantly bagged for an over-possessing style of football much like "Sheeds 'keeping's-off, chipping backwards & sideways' crap".

The other aspect of their plan is to limit their opposition scoring by applying pressure on every opponent everywhere on the ground. We are not close to even thinking about this part of the game - and that bothers me enormously given the defensive record we have had for the past 4 years.
You have just validated what I was saying with the last 5 words of your post. Old habits die hard, and Knights has to get these players out of the old habits of not tackling or putting pressure on. It will be easy for players like Houli and co, but more difficult for those players who spent alot of time under sheedy moulding themselves to his gameplan, now having to do it again for a new coach. It wont happen in the space of 4 or five weeks, it will take at least half a season, probably more.

I bet if Knights could, he would thin Lloydy down and have him play the way he wants, rather than being very beefed up and unable to move half the time.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

That is an excellent observation on this thread, not too mention how retarded it(the thread) was initially.

Especially when you start with the line
"This fast, play-on style is exciting and effective when it works"
:roll:
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Rossoneri wrote:
tonysoprano wrote: I don't accept that at all Rosso - I might concede they have used it for 2 years - prior to that they were constantly bagged for an over-possessing style of football much like "Sheeds 'keeping's-off, chipping backwards & sideways' crap".

You have just validated what I was saying with the last 5 words of your post. Old habits die hard, and Knights has to get these players out of the old habits of not tackling or putting pressure on. It will be easy for players like Houli and co, but more difficult for those players who spent alot of time under sheedy moulding themselves to his gameplan, now having to do it again for a new coach. It wont happen in the space of 4 or five weeks, it will take at least half a season, probably more.

I bet if Knights could, he would thin Lloydy down and have him play the way he wants, rather than being very beefed up and unable to move half the time.
I'm not sure how I have validated anything - but lets not turn this into a discussion reminiscent of Essendon4Ever :wink:

You seemed to imply that Knights is trying to get us out of the habit of not tackling or not putting pressure on - but I see no evidence of this. To me he has emphasised an attack at all costs gameplan. And for me this is a major deficiency given our record in recent years. Over the last 4 years this is our ranking based on points for and against:

2007 Finished 12th on the ladder - 4th for attack; 12th defense.
2006 15th ladder - 9th attack; 16th defense.
2005 13th ladder - 7th attack; 12th defense.
2004 8th ladder - 4th attack; 12th defense.

Is seems to me to be blatantly obvious that scoring is not our problem. Equally - it should be blatantly obvious that the first thing we need to improve is our defensive record. Yet, we have a game plan that seemingly gives not the slightest thought to this dimesnion of the game. If this means "the game plan sucks" - then I completely agree.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I would have thought the first thing we needed to improve were our skills?
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

We were never going to win too much this year anyway. The game plan is an act in three parts and 2008 is Part One - develop mid-field pace and presence and confidence.

Acts 2 and 3 are to come next year - Act 1 - Accountability and Defensive Pressure and Act 3 - Adapting to Challenges - The alternative Game Plan

What we do know is that Act 1 is showing us the core of pacey midfielders we have been screaming for - Reimers, Houli, Jetta, Davey, Winderlich etc are all capabale of playing effectively in the new system

Maturity and a more developed style of play is yet to come so we will get blown away in many games

Patience
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Great post Windy.

This game plan of ours isnt going to win us a premiership this year, it was never going to. Its designed for the future years when our midfields skills will be up to scratch so we can exectute this plan better. How about when we slammed on 6 goals in the third quarter on Friday night? How did the gameplan look then? Knights has got it right, and as soon as we can get our skills up to scratch we will be fine.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:We were never going to win too much this year anyway. The game plan is an act in three parts and 2008 is Part One - develop mid-field pace and presence and confidence.

Acts 2 and 3 are to come next year - Act 1 - Accountability and Defensive Pressure and Act 3 - Adapting to Challenges - The alternative Game Plan

What we do know is that Act 1 is showing us the core of pacey midfielders we have been screaming for - Reimers, Houli, Jetta, Davey, Winderlich etc are all capabale of playing effectively in the new system

Maturity and a more developed style of play is yet to come so we will get blown away in many games

Patience
Agree wth most of it. The players already have alot of confidence in the gameplan and in their own ability to hit targets and keep running, no matter the situation. What we lack is direction half of the time because no one is presenting at CHF.
You are right one Act 3, we wont be able to use another game plan until we master this one.
Accountability and defence pressure, maybe when we are a fitter team with another PS under their belts and a new fitness "advisor".
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:We were never going to win too much this year anyway. The game plan is an act in three parts and 2008 is Part One - develop mid-field pace and presence and confidence.

Patience

Couldnt agree with you more. Some people need to learn to be patient.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Try and imagine what the scenario would have been if there had been no change in the coaching department after 5 rounds. Much as I admired Sheeds, we would have been faced with more of the same as for the previous 4 or 5 years. With Knights, we have a new direction and plan and I am prepared to wait a lot longer than 5 weeks before passing judgement.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm happy with the way we are playing, it is a great way to develop players for the future. It will be frustrating at times but then when it comes off it is pretty damn good to watch.