Food for Thought, Ryder in Ruck/Forward

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dheal
Top Up Player

Food for Thought, Ryder in Ruck/Forward

Post by dheal »

Paddy Ryder is the most exciting new talent at Windy Hill & while he has been effective down back i feel he could be better used in the Ruck resting in the forward line.At least he will make it to the marking contest.Lazycock out, Johns seems to be getting his act together at Bendigo can start down back & can play forward if required plus he plays well against the c'wood cretins. Darcy Daniher could be another forward option when he gains fitness. At the MCG we need another tall forward to take the pressure off Lloyd thats where Ryder/Hille can be best utilised. NLM & Monfries(if picked) must put in this week.
But i have a feeling that Lazycock will be given another chance, if he does play he must dominate the cretins poor rucks & kick at least 4 goals.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Food for Thought, Ryder in Ruck/Forward

Post by bomberdonnie »

Paddy is not good enough in front of goal to be used as a resting forward atm
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Laycock will be given another opportunity on ANZAC Day.

Hopefully he and Lovett can turn it on again.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Paul Roos has the right attitude to this. "I dont want Adam Goodes playing in the ruck, because i dont want to put his body, and in particular his knees under that sort of pressure".

It's the same with Ryder. I reckon one day he may have the motor to play around the ground like a ruckman, but i dont want him anywhere near a ruck contest.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:Paul Roos has the right attitude to this. "I dont want Adam Goodes playing in the ruck, because i dont want to put his body, and in particular his knees under that sort of pressure".

It's the same with Ryder. I reckon one day he may have the motor to play around the ground like a ruckman, but i dont want him anywhere near a ruck contest.
So if you had Cox or Kreuzer or Leunberger on your team, you'd stick them in the forward line so they last longer?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

j-mac wrote:
robbie67 wrote:Paul Roos has the right attitude to this. "I dont want Adam Goodes playing in the ruck, because i dont want to put his body, and in particular his knees under that sort of pressure".

So if you had Cox or Kreuzer or Leunberger on your team, you'd stick them in the forward line so they last longer?
Cox is different. He is built like a brick shithouse, but is athletic as well. Much like Hille. No I wouldnt play Kruezer or Leunberger in the ruck at this moment. When their bodies mature and fill out more, then I would let them play there. However if the opposition was playing a young player in there, then I would swing them into the ruck. That's the only time I would play Ryder in there as well. I think teams are going to look at recruiting more guys that are tall but athletic, and not play them as ruckman in the future. A guy like Goodes when he is in form is awfully hard to match up on, and he doesnt get smaller as the game progresses.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Its time for Paddy to play in the ruck I think. Let Hille start and maybe take the centre bounces and then give Paddy the job round the ground. Switch them in the forward line when the opportunity presents.

Paddy could be as good as the best I saw in Stephen Micheal (never left the WAFL to play VFL) but he was awesome and probably not as big as Paddy.

Big games call for big performances and this could be the type of switch that if Knights is bold enough could upset Malthouses meticulous planning. Plus Paddy would give Josh Fraser an absolute bath!!!