Captaincy poll

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Who would you prefer as captain?

Lloyd
19%
McVeigh
81%

Total votes: 36

ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Re: Captaincy poll

Post by ealesy »

Filthy wrote:
ealesy wrote:
Scott wrote:Short f****** memories you f****** people!!!!!
Name a game where he has shown great ON FIELD LEADERSHIP!!

He hasn't done, good leader of the ground, shocking leader on the field. Still an absolute champion full forward and club champion, however, that does not hide the fact that McVeigh and Hille are both far superior on field leaders!!!
Love most of your work Ealsey but he did show a lot of grunt in the Norf game when we lost Scotty and was pretty good against the Scum after 1/2 time. Delivery and service in the Pussy's and last night games was very ordinary (skill errors) I am sure you will agree.
Difference standing up as a full-forward and standing up as a captain.

The North game, and Carlton game I feel it was far more th leadership displayd by the likes of McVeigh and Hille that lift the team that then lead to Lloyd having greater opportunities, that he was able to take because he is a great fullforward.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:...its ridiculous to put this poll up the morning after the worst game of Lloyd's career.
Agreed. It's a terribly loaded question in the circumstances. The results of the poll would be much more even if it were done at almost any other time.

Let's just assess it at the end of the year.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Perhaps a full-forward shouldn't be captain because his performance depends not only on how he plays, but on how those up the ground play too.
Whereas a midfielder has a lot more of his own input into his performance.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ealesy wrote:
Scott wrote:Short f****** memories you f****** people!!!!!
Name a game where he has shown great ON FIELD LEADERSHIP!!

He hasn't done, good leader of the ground, shocking leader on the field. Still an absolute champion full forward and club champion, however, that does not hide the fact that McVeigh and Hille are both far superior on field leaders!!!
He has shown some on field leadership but not for quite a few years. They were all when Hirdy was out injured and Lloydy was a few years younger.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Has everyone forgotten just how short a fuse Mark McVeigh has?

He has had a great season this year, but I dunno about being captain. (until his hammy)

Lloyd is having a bit of a crisis...I still think he and the club can turn it around.

If there is anyone I would like to see lead the club other than Lloyd, it is Scott Lucas(but again injury has him out anyhow for half a year).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:Has everyone forgotten just how short a fuse Mark McVeigh has?

He has had a great season this year, but I dunno about being captain. (until his hammy)

Lloyd is having a bit of a crisis...I still think he and the club can turn it around.

If there is anyone I would like to see lead the club other than Lloyd, it is Scott Lucas(but again injury has him out anyhow for half a year).
What short fuse?
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

McVeigh has fixed that problem. He knew that he had it and fixed it.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Will post a new poll after Lloyd's next good game (like Round 1).

Doubt the result will be vastly different.

It's the look he gets on his face when things aren't going his way for mine. It's not the snarl of a captain, it's the pout of a kid that's just dropped his ice cream. When J Brown has a bad game, he still retains his presence.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

rockhole wrote:Typical response when things do not go our way. Sack the Captain!!, Sack the coach!!, Sack the fitness staff!! Sack the players. Lloyd is the captain. He has earned the captaincy. Sure he had a shocker but the delivery to him was shit and Hudgston was all over him like a cheap suit, in most instances illegally. (check out this morning's Age).

I find that these sorts of discussions re giving up the captaincy are futile because:

a). It aint going to happen
b). next week he kicks 6 against the filth and all is fogotten

Lloyd was chosen with the support of both Hird and Sheedy, two fairly astute judges of character. Time to support the Captain, not bury him.
Agree Rock. What's bloody going on?!!!... Our supporters are whining about this and that ad nauseum on SEN. Blimey! Enough is enough. Lets keep some degree of dignity folks. We're starting to sound like bitchy little Collingwood supporters. It's embarassing. I always thought feral fans from Collingwood and St Kilda were the worst. But on current form, we're well in front...

As for The Dons "I hate Jason Laycock" thread? C'mon... Really. Everyone loves a bit of cock action...

Time to get a stiff upper lip people. Meet em' on the beaches and all that, hey what...

tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

she'll be right. just adjusting to a change in personnel

the midfield will click, Lloydy will kick a bag and we will have the luxury of adding Mcveigh and then Scott Lucas back into a winning team.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doctor Fish wrote:
rockhole wrote:Typical response when things do not go our way. Sack the Captain!!, Sack the coach!!, Sack the fitness staff!! Sack the players. Lloyd is the captain. He has earned the captaincy. Sure he had a shocker but the delivery to him was shit and Hudgston was all over him like a cheap suit, in most instances illegally. (check out this morning's Age).

I find that these sorts of discussions re giving up the captaincy are futile because:

a). It aint going to happen
b). next week he kicks 6 against the filth and all is fogotten

Lloyd was chosen with the support of both Hird and Sheedy, two fairly astute judges of character. Time to support the Captain, not bury him.
Agree Rock. What's bloody going on?!!!... Our supporters are whining about this and that ad nauseum on SEN. Blimey! Enough is enough. Lets keep some degree of dignity folks. We're starting to sound like bitchy little Collingwood supporters. It's embarassing. I always thought feral fans from Collingwood and St Kilda were the worst. But on current form, we're well in front...

As for The Dons "I hate Jason Laycock" thread? C'mon... Really. Everyone loves a bit of cock action...

Time to get a stiff upper lip people. Meet em' on the beaches and all that, hey what...

Like your work Doc. Always good for a laugh :wink:
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I am so f****** livid at our "supporters" ATM that i can barely type.

When has Lloyd shown leadership? How about being instrumental in changing off field discipline of this club? How about Standing up while we were down and kicking instrumental goals in both of our wins?

What does he get for his years of consistancy and greatness? He gets booed by his own supporters. The exact same shit which saw us lose Salmon .
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

We owe a massive debt of gratitude to Matthew Lloyd.... 800+ Goals (approx), Coleman Medals / 2000 Flag

However, I think he needs to focus on getting his game back on track...before he runs the risk of the game passing him by... On SEN on the segment with Pickering and Colbert, alot of folks we're saying he's passed it....

While I disagree...I think the burden of Captaincy should be lifted from him, and given to Mcveigh..A bloke who clearly thrives on it...

My two Cents...
The Watson Factor....
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I think Matthew Lloyd is a champion and the service he has given to EFC is such that he could play half the season crap and still have credits in the bank. However I am not sure if the captaincy really suits him. Whilst an excellent on field leader, captains tend to come from the engineroom of the action. He's better off just lurking around the goal square and with quicker ball movement he can compete one out with the full back.

That hamstring injury really stuffed him up big time and he had no pre-season with the calf. He is starting to get those older player type injuries that seems to plague guys who have had their bodies buffeted from pillar to post over many years. The other aspect of his poorer on field performances is that the new game plan may be still a work in progress. Once that settles down and he gets over the pre season injuries he will be back to normal.

I think we need to be mindful of airing in house Essendon opinions in public forums like SEN and possibly this site.

He is capable of breaking the all time record goal kicking record - if we look after him.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber