CJ, This is Your Moment

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

CJ, This is Your Moment

Post by Windy_Hill »

If ever there was a time, place or need for a young promising player to finlly announce himself as a genuine long term prspect, surely its this ANZAC Day for Courtney Johns!!

He's had a pre-season, he's had a few warmup games with Bendigo and now he has his chance. Surely its now or never for the Messiah to show himself.

Good Luck big fellah, we are all holding our breath for you.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: CJ, This is Your Moment

Post by swoodley »

I've always liked the boy and really hope he stands up tomorrow.

He doesn't need to be dominant, kick 4-5 goals etc, he just needs to show that he can compete at this level.

(4-5 goals would be good though :D )
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
dheal
Top Up Player

Post by dheal »

Agree totally. However don't be surprised if CJ spends some time down back, if he can down a position here it may free up Ryder or Fletch to kick goals. Also Johns is a verasatile player & can go forward . Whatever happens i hope they give him the opportunity, at least 4 weeks, in the team to become a consistent member. Grasp the chance & have a great game.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Hopefully he can compete and keep his spot for a few weeks. He is probably on his last chance so he needs to peform.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Windy_Hill wrote:If ever there was a time, place or need for a young promising player to finlly announce himself as a genuine long term prspect, surely its this ANZAC Day for Courtney Johns!!

He's had a pre-season, he's had a few warmup games with Bendigo and now he has his chance. Surely its now or never for the Messiah to show himself.

Good Luck big fellah, we are all holding our breath for you.
Good call Windy. Hope CJ can throw his weight around. The crowd will go berko if/when he does...

Go CJ! Carna' Dons!!!!
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Go CJ
Prove em wrong and stick it right up em!!!
Good Luck Messiah!!!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I was on his bandwagon until midway through 2007.
I will admit that I am off it, so if he does play a good game, I wont say that I never lost the faith.

Its a big test for him now, but it will be pointless playing him this week then dropping him next week.

However, this has to be his last chance doesnt it?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

As long as he starts in defence. I'll be happy, If they do a swap at 1/2 time, I can live with that. I reckon he needs to be led to the ball for at least a half, getting a few spoils & touches, just to get back to the pace of the game.

I reckon he could work out ok as a 2nd half forward player, when other blokes tire a bit. Bit like when Neagle did the same in the 2nd half of the pre-season cup against the Saints, he snuck under their guard. He is another one grab player, so could be a good decoy foy Lloyd - he should definitely match up better with Lloyd than he has with Lucas in the past, as we all know what's Scotty's like when he's within 70m from goal - have a ping (you heard of beer goggles, well Scotty is inclined to get goal eyes).

Johns could do the same as a Neagle, but he needs to be eased back in, from a position he has gotten used to in the last 12 months.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I've been anti-CJ for a long time. I'm hoping he proves me wrong tomorrow by being a serviceable player
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Admittedly didn't do a great deal - but when he was on I thought he tried hard. Got a ridiculous match-up against Pendlebury early (WTF Knights!).

Please persist with the young man - especially in the forward line.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Didn't do a lot today But saw some good signs - Hit em hard and kicked a nice goal
Not quick enough to be a Backmen...
Still need to play him and see what he can produce...

Please Please Please as a forward!!!
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Should just leave him at CHF over the next few weeks, see what he can do.

I don't think he will make it as an senior AFL player (he has a few friends at the moment), but without Lucas we need a big body to straighten us up.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Not the best today but certainly not as bad as a large proportion of his team mates. Just needs to get a few consecutive games under his belt to develop a bit more confidence.

I'd prefer him in the side rather than softcock
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Didn't exactly set the world on fire, but wasn't our worst (I think Laycocl has that sewn up).
Must persist with him for at least 3-4 weeks, then if he still hasn't shown anything show him the door.

BTW, was he reported in the first quarter? If so, will he go?
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

billyduckworth wrote:Didn't exactly set the world on fire, but wasn't our worst (I think Laycocl has that sewn up).
Must persist with him for at least 3-4 weeks, then if he still hasn't shown anything show him the door.

Not sure if he was reported on the spot - but he was wearing red and black so will probably get 3 weeks.

Personally I think he was making a genuine lead - leapt to mark - and then the Pies player came across him - so CJ turned his body instinctively. Didn't look good - but I thought the 50m was a sufficient penalty - and if he gets suspended I'll be even angrier than I was at half-time today. (At full-time I was just despondent).
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

billyduckworth wrote:Didn't exactly set the world on fire, but wasn't our worst (I think Laycocl has that sewn up).

Yes, he was reported but even Walls and Lane reckon he will get off.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Serious question: how shit does everyone think Quentin Lynch from West Coast is?

Johns is a very poor man's version of Quentin Lynch when forward, and ordinary down back. The sooner everyone gets over him, the better.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Serious question: how shit does everyone think Quentin Lynch from West Coast is?

Johns is a very poor man's version of Quentin Lynch when forward, and ordinary down back. The sooner everyone gets over him, the better.
i think this is a terribly unfair comparison. Lynch has played with two Brownlow medallists delivering it to him.

Cj has played 20 games in a team that more often than not can't get it inside 50, and gets smashed in nearly every facet of the game.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

tonysoprano wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:Serious question: how shit does everyone think Quentin Lynch from West Coast is?

i think this is a terribly unfair comparison. Lynch has played with two Brownlow medallists delivering it to him.
Yeah, and how shit does he look now that West Coast's super midfield has been dismantled?
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

Yeah, and how shit does he look now that West Coast's super midfield has been dismantled?
Agree Jimmy - Lynch is shit - I just don't think CJ can be adjudge worse or "a poor mans' version".