1 Man Who Made Massive Mistakes Today!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
stryper
High Draft Pick

1 Man Who Made Massive Mistakes Today!!!

Post by stryper »

Not gunna bag the Guy as he is very new to coaching...

But what the - Fletch forward when desperately needed back...

Winderlich on Medhurst who ran rampant...Was pushed off far too easily...

Monfries in the backline...

Johns in Backline - I don't give a shit he is a Forward!!!

Andy Lovett in Backline - Give me a break... - Kicks Goals and then finally Mal Michael in forward line...

Yes it is nice to experiment and even get the early surprise - eg. The 1st quarter but then Play players in their correct positions...

We were smashed all over the ground today Big learning curb for Knighter today...

Not the right day to do it - Such a big day and a huge crowd - At least half that left were very dissapointed...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: 1 Man Who Made Massive Mistakes Today!!!

Post by swoodley »

I agree with you to certain extent but at the end of the day, we had 18 players on the ground at any one time. If they had collectively stood up and each manned up on one opponent, the final score would have been nowhere near as bad.

Players being played out of position does not explain the complete and utter lack of defensive accountability shown by the majority of our players today.

Knights will learn and hopefully the players do to.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

swoodley wrote:I agree with you to certain extent but at the end of the day, we had 18 players on the ground at any one time. If they had collectively stood up and each manned up on one opponent, the final score would have been nowhere near as bad.

Players being played out of position does not explain the complete and utter lack of defensive accountability shown by the majority of our players today.

Is the complete and utter lack of defensive accountability due to a gameplan by Knights which is to run off and create at every opportunity?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Jesus Christ could've been our coach today and we would've got handsomely beaten. The PLAYERS were shit, bar a select few.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

tonysoprano wrote:
swoodley wrote:I agree with you to certain extent but at the end of the day, we had 18 players on the ground at any one time. If they had collectively stood up and each manned up on one opponent, the final score would have been nowhere near as bad.

Is the complete and utter lack of defensive accountability due to a gameplan by Knights which is to run off and create at every opportunity?
I agree. Its all very well to run off and forward of the play but when you have players that are turn the pill over like there is no tomorrow and fall over like paper bags with any physical pressure it all comes tragically unstuck.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

There were a few bad moves, and all-in-all not a great day for Matthew, but the effort on the ground by many of our players led to the belting.

It is not that hard to man pick up a man when the opposition has the ball.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Jesus Christ could've been our coach today and we would've got handsomely beaten. The PLAYERS were shit, bar a select few.
I completely agree, i struggled to pick my top 3 players from today. I havent seen such a weak performance from this great footy side in many many years. And what a day to do it on, we were disgraceful to say the least. I too was a little confused as to what Knights was thinking on occasions but at the end of the day our lack of defensive pressure and accountability was what lost us the match. I actually didint mind Fletch and Michael up forward, but our delivery to them was shocking to say the least. Lets hope some of our injured players return soon because a lot of the players playing today need to go back to Bendigo. :evil:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tonysoprano wrote:

No it's not Tony and I'll give you an example of why I say that...

In the second quarter, McPhee blazed away at goal and scored a point. Wakelin had to get the ball before he could kick it back in (and this would have taken a second ot two). He kicked it out to an unmarked player on their half back line who then kicked to an unmarked player on the wing who then kicked to yet another unmarked player on their half forward line. He kicked it to Lockyer (I think) who was unmarked and kicked the goal.

How the f*** could it be that we were unable to man up on any of the Collingwood players in that whole sequence of play? We didn't have the ball at all so we shouldn't have had players trying to create :evil:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

We did extremely well to be in front mid way through the 2nd qtr given all the turnovers and loose filth players and then we decided we'd had enough.

Although some of the moves were unusual, I agree that our boys were our own worst enemy today and no matter what Knights did, we were always gonna get done.

Too loose, too unaccountable, horrible disposal of the footy.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

swoodley wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

No it's not Tony and I'll give you an example of why I say that...

In the second quarter, McPhee blazed away at goal and scored a point. Wakelin had to get the ball before he could kick it back in (and this would have taken a second ot two). He kicked it out to an unmarked player on their half back line who then kicked to an unmarked player on the wing who then kicked to yet another unmarked player on their half forward line. He kicked it to Lockyer (I think) who was unmarked and kicked the goal.

How the f*** could it be that we were unable to man up on any of the Collingwood players in that whole sequence of play? We didn't have the ball at all so we shouldn't have had players trying to create :evil:
yes - good example - I guess what I'm saying is - is that the players are encouraged (trained) to run off - the whole emphasis is on attack - there is seemingly ittle evidence to suggest that Knights is even asking players to go and man up...could 22 players really be this unaccountable? Dont get me wrong players have to take responsibility - but i dont think Knights has even thought about conveying a defensive message. Like many times last year - teams kick bigger scores against us than they do against every body else (e.g. today Coll averaged 104 pts per game in the 1st 5 rounds - kick 150+ versus us!)

I just don't know what else can be said - we concede too many big scores.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I thought G'OD was supposed to be in charge of defensive plays?
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

billyduckworth wrote:I thought G'OD was supposed to be in charge of defensive plays?
Whoever it is - whatever they are saying - either it aint working or aint getting through.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tonysoprano wrote: I just don't know what else can be said - we concede too many big scores.
That sums it up beautifully Tony. Collingwood had over 50 inside 50's halfway through the 3rd quarter today. I'm not going to enjoy seeing the final tally.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Knights was severely outcoached today. Could not get the defensive match-ups right for love or money.

Too many medium size fast forwards and no-one to match up on them.

Poor Johns. They bring him in to play on Rocca and they he doesn't farkin play. There was no other player he could match him up on. Medhurst too small, Cloke too quick. He had him on Pendlebury for a while FFS.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

... and how could he allow Winderlich to be stuck in a back pocket all day? Seriously.

I know we are undermanned but that match-up was rubbish from the start.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Staggy wrote:... and how could he allow Winderlich to be stuck in a back pocket all day? Seriously.

absolutely.

I hate to say it - and I know its early days with a young team - but I don't think Knights knows what he's doing.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

tonysoprano wrote:
Staggy wrote:... and how could he allow Winderlich to be stuck in a back pocket all day? Seriously.

absolutely.

I hate to say it - and I know its early days with a young team - but I don't think Knights knows what he's doing.
I'm not gonna go that far - he has half his side out - but the lack of defensive pressure is concerning. Young kids do not often un-learn bad habits.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Knights was really found wanting today....key decisions he made simply did not work.
The idea of having Fletch forward was good initially, but once they got on top in the 2nd quarter, he needed to go back.
Winderlich on Medhurst was just downright stupidity.
AND Johns on Pendlebury, you have got to be kidding me!
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Staggy wrote:Knights was severely outcoached today. Could not get the defensive match-ups right for love or money.

Too many medium size fast forwards and no-one to match up on them.

Poor Johns. They bring him in to play on Rocca and they he doesn't farkin play. There was no other player he could match him up on. Medhurst too small, Cloke too quick. He had him on Pendlebury for a while FFS.
Was going to say the same thing... but then I couldn't work out for love or money who we would bring in instead!! I was actually thinking this year that the top heavy sides that we often had during the Sheedy years were thankfully a thing of the past. But Mal, Fletch, Johns, Hille, Laycock, McPhee, Ryder and Lloyd is a lot of tall timber to carry into a match where the opposition only has Wakelin, Cloke, Brown, Fraser and Wood. We were severely outrun and they had loads more options at the fall of the ball than we did. Rocca out this week was a big win for them... just like Gherig last week.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Did anyone catch Lloydy's interview on 3AW this evening...Not a happy little camper at all. Sounded mightily P***d off at some of Knight's moves. Was noted by Healy(not Gerard) and Shaw on AW as well. And apparantly Mal Michael sounded similarly P***d Off when they interview him a couple of weeks back as well.....It sounds to me like things might just be starting to turn a bit ugly down there.