Dees: Most uncompetitive side since the Roys?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Dees: Most uncompetitive side since the Roys?

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Watching the game today of Melbourne v Brisbane got me wondering: are Melbourne the least competitive team the AFL has seen since Fitzroy exited in '96?

If competitiveness can be determined by looking at a team's percentage and win-loss ratio, then the three worst seasons any team has produced since 1996 would be Freo in 2001 (2 wins and 72%), the Saints in 2000 (2.5 wins and 70%) and Saints again in 2002 (3 wins and 73%). In all the other years since then, the team that wins the spoon usually manages somewhere between 3.5-5 wins and a percentage in the low-to-mid 70's (although Melbourne somehow managed to get 4 wins and a woeful percentage of 61 in 1997).

At the moment, the Dees are winless and prior to today had a woeful percentage of about 53 - what's more, they haven't even looked like winning a game.

So, are they the least competitive team since Fitzroy died out in 1996? I say yes, they are.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Dees: Most uncompetitive side since the Roys?

Post by Rossoneri »

I wonder who will be the first person on here to say that they'll beat us?

We played well for our first 4 games, struggled in the last 2.

In 2006, we only had one win on the board up to round 16, had some horrible games but also some close ones. Just wondering who Melbourne are missing from their best 22.

I will never forget Gary Lyon who said after Shheds got the boot that the future coach of Melbourne will have the better team to work with compared to Freo, Carlton and Essendon. Bailey traded Johnstone at the end of last year for a 1st round pick, which was smart. However, he should have moved on Yze and either Miller/Holland and shopped them around for a decent pick. Neither of those three provide anything to a team who needs to re-build, so why keep them?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

i just wouldn't speak too soon yet Ross, we are looking decidedly average ourselves. This year could yet get ugly people!
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

dont to sound like a smart ass... but they would have a decent crack at beating us on anzac day.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Oh come on, Fitzroy wasn't THAT bad.