R7: Essendon v Port

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

R7: Essendon v Port

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Beat ya both, Paddy and BD!

Season's on the line - we're not good enough to come back from 2-5, but at 3-4 and with a week's break to follow and recoup some of our injured players, we're still alive. Port have been a bogey side for us - we've lost to them 9 of the last 10 times we've played them. The side we'll be fielding next week, taking into account the guys we've got injured, will, in my opinion, be the second worst team to take to the field next week (Melbourne being the worst).

Any chance, or will next week be curtains?
hop
Club Captain

Re: R7: Essendon v Port

Post by hop »

We get a 9 day break and it is a home game. The only 2 positives I can see ATM.

Season defining game - you're right about it being almost impossible for us to come back with a 2-5 start to the season.

Win, lose or draw I just want to see some bloody effort and guys putting their bodies on the line. We did it a couple of years ago against these pricks when Lloydy banged and crashed a few bodies and we stood up to them and won.

I'm hoping for a similar outcome on Sunday. Hoping but not confident.

May the 4th be with us!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Seriously second worst?

Grand finallist last year with the shortest injury list in the competition.

They'll smash us.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Wont even get close.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

If Port bring their die in the arse in the last team with them, we're a chance.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Good onya Jimmy :lol:

I've written this season off. Lucas, Fletcher, McVeigh, Davey, Dempsey, Jetta, Lonergan, Neagle, Gumbleton all unavailble next week (although Dempsey has a chance). Port will beat us comfortably. I am more interested in seeing Darcy Daniher getting a game next week along with Myers and any other kid that's available.
Essendunny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Need to field a more mobile side than we did last week.

Out Fletch (inj) and Laycock (not interested).
In Daniher, and one of Dempsey (if available), Hislop (if not suspended), otherwise Myers.

Key defensive match-ups:

Johns / Mal - Tredrea and the resting ruckman (Lade / Brogan)
Daniher - Westhoff or Ebert

Ryder to ruck.

Sadly, there is absolutely no selection pressure at the moment. If Johns is suspended Laycock will have to play.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

andrewb wrote:If Johns is suspended Laycock will have to play.
He'll get off.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well Dempsey didn't play for Bendigo today, so forget him for next week. Can't drop any poor performing midfielder simply because there aint anyone ready to step up from Bendigo. Perhaps Hislop, but to reward him after what he did today would be sending the wrong messages. Darcy Daniher is almost a certainty to debut next week.
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Maybe bring back JJ? I know he turned the ball over a lot for Bendigo yesterday and I know he's slow, but at least he does get the ball and provide a bit of grunt.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

billyduckworth wrote:Maybe bring back JJ? I know he turned the ball over a lot for Bendigo yesterday and I know he's slow, but at least he does get the ball and provide a bit of grunt.
To be honest BD, I was quite shocked at what I saw yesterday. I really felt sad for him. I got the feeling he knows his body can't do what he wants it to do. On several occasions I saw him drop his head and shake it when he was caught with the ball. He has certainly lost his pace and certainly lost his bulldozing type strength, but it also seems that he has lost his awareness. The only spot for him in our team is as a crumbing forward, but he has trouble kicking straight and snapping goals. Can't believe he kicked one on the full from 15 metres out yesterday. However, there are times when he does snag a goal. Other than a FP, I can't really see a position for JJ on the field.
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

If that's so, then, sadly, it sounds like it is time to hang up the boots. :(
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Well, Chad Cornes is going to miss with a broken finger, so that's something i suppose. But unfortunately it appears as though Port have found a bit of form over the last fortnight. Also of concern is the fact that our nemesis, Warren Tredrea, played very well last night - Tredrea in form against us without Fletcher = potential disaster.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Can we put this insanity of Johns being a backman to bed once and for all ? If he plays on Tredrea, Tredrea will kick 10. Play him at CHF and see what he can do there. I'd play Ryder on Tredrea allowing him to run off and create from half back. You dont automatically have to play a gorilla on a gorilla.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Chad Cornes missing for Port evens up our loss of Fletch i guess but i am a little worried about sunday arvo. Big Mal should play on Tredrea when he is close to goal and Ryder should get the job on Ebert/Westhoff.

Hopefully the guys come out firing after that dismal display on friday. Surely Dempsey and Jetta would be a chance to return? I would keep Johns in the side but keep him up forward, not in the back line.

In: Dempsey/Jetta, Daniher
Out: Fletcher, Monfries/Pears
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

If Jetta and Dempsey are both given another week then Quinn has to go. They are given an extra week for pre-caution, it shows lack of confidence in their conditioning. Dempsey would have done it 5 weeks on Sunday, Jetta 4. A hammy takes 3 weeks MAXIMUM, if it just a strain as they said it is.

In: Demspey, Jetta, Daniher
Out: Fletcher, Johns, Monfries
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:
Can we put this insanity of Johns being a backman to bed once and for all ? If he plays on Tredrea, Tredrea will kick 10. Play him at CHF and see what he can do there. I'd play Ryder on Tredrea allowing him to run off and create from half back. You dont automatically have to play a gorilla on a gorilla.
The key is to stop the supply. If we allow 67 forward entries into Tredrea, he will break Fred Fanning's record even if he has King F****** Kong playing on him. Perhaps Knighta should ditch the "run at all costs" and "take risks" game plan with a close checking scrap. Nothing wrong with resorting to such a tactic because we don't have the talent to carry out his initial plans due to the number of injuries. Time to re-evaluate how the team should play in accordance with the ability of the group at his disposal.
Essendunny
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

thing that worries me.. (i know we have had alot of injuries) but our team structure is shuffled every single week. Players could be in completely different positions from week to week, and even from quarter to quarter making things very unsettling, and a big ask for the younger guys. Well drilled teams, like Port Adelaide full of role players will trouble us to say the least.

Lloyd will have to kick a bag, and our 'running game' that we see small glimpses of has to work for atleast over a half to give us any chance.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

Rossoneri wrote:If Jetta and Dempsey are both given another week then Quinn has to go. They are given an extra week for pre-caution, it shows lack of confidence in their conditioning. Dempsey would have done it 5 weeks on Sunday, Jetta 4. A hammy takes 3 weeks MAXIMUM, if it just a strain as they said it is.

In: Demspey, Jetta, Daniher
Out: Fletcher, Johns, Monfries
Thats the main point. You have no idea how bad they were, only the docs and others at Essendon. You should realise by now that what teams say about injuries isn't always 100% accurate
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

maybe Port will play their twos and rest their senior list. you know so its a bit of a contest between the two teams.

we will get butchered.

maybe we won't, i really want to eat my words.