Is this the worst..

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Is this the worst..

Post by robrulz5 »

Certainly the worst I've seen. '97 was bad but not anywhere near as bad as this.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

86 was just as bad. It was our key players. Watson, Vander and Williams missed pretty much all of the season. Cost us the flag.

This is shocking. Can't take a trick. Every time I hear the news another has gone down. The only thing is that apart from Davey, most of the players will be back within a month.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BERT wrote:86 was just as bad. It was our key players. Watson, Vander and Williams missed pretty much all of the season. Cost us the flag.

This is shocking. Can't take a trick. Every time I hear the news another has gone down. The only thing is that apart from Davey, most of the players will be back within a month.
Nope, this year is worse than 86....this year is only 6 rounds old and the season is over. We were always a chance in 86 (save for Micky Conlans moment of tinnyness 15 secs before the final siren on Elimination Final day at Waverly)
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BERT wrote:86 was just as bad. It was our key players. Watson, Vander and Williams missed pretty much all of the season. Cost us the flag.

Nope, this year is worse than 86....this year is only 6 rounds old and the season is over. We were always a chance in 86 (save for Micky Conlans moment of tinnyness 15 secs before the final siren on Elimination Final day at Waverly)
I'm not sure Windy...in '86 we had a full reserves and U19 squad which afforded us the comparitive luxury of keeping "lesser lights" on the list for longer. From memory, we lost Baker, Williams, Watson, Vanders and possibly Harvey in the first 6 rounds. We were a chance in '86 because we had good depth and were coming off 2 flags.

This year, we have a smaller player base that is nowhere near as good as the '86 squad (comparitively) and are coming off 3 crap years.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

Filthy wrote: Vital injuries at the wrong time in 2001 cost us that Flag.
:x
Disagree. Bringing back those injured players when clearly not match fit cost us the 2001 flag.
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Mick wrote:
Disagree. Bringing back those injured players when clearly not match fit cost us the 2001 flag.
Is that not the same thing?
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Mick wrote:
Precisely his point.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

didnt we have almost a full side injured on anzac day 97, of which about 6-8 being great players?
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

Boyler_Room wrote:
Mick wrote:
Precisely his point.
It is one thing to get injuries and usually not in your control. How you manage the team and the players you choose once those injuries have occured is within your control. On GF day 2001 we dropped match fit players in good form for unfit players who could not contribute on the day. That decision was within our control and we stuffed up.

And don't get me started on '86 when we sacked two players (Bradbury and Carey) mid season to recruit Raines and Richardson who contributed nothing before being let go to Brisbane.
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes