swans game....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

swans game....

Post by tom9779 »

Will we be bringing anyone back from injury in two weeks?
McVeigh must be close right? Fletcher?

I can't see a 10 goal turnaround, but I will be bitterly disappointed if we don't man up and at least put in a competitive performance.
Sydney aren't exactly flying, and they do not like to play out at Telstra Stadium. Its a game which I think we should give a real shake.

Be great to see a Lloyd bag up in Sydney.

With Barry Hall out, would we play with our backline?
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Re: swans game....

Post by bomberflyer »

About the same result as last night for about 4 or 5 weeks to come I'd say. We look like a good country side against the a shit country side at the moment (and we're it). Every time the ball goes into the good sides forward line they walk into goal.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Lonergan and Reimers should be close to a return by then as well.

However, as it seems that Knights is going to persist with the game plan without adapting any changes to our defensive structures, I tend to agree with bomberflyer in that I expect us to continue to bleed goals at a rate that will guarantee further defeats.

For us to win games, we are going to have to kick 22+ goals because that is what we are giving up on average each week. :shock: ](*,) #-o
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

bomberflyer wrote:About the same result as last night for about 4 or 5 weeks to come I'd say. We look like a good country side against the a shit country side at the moment (and we're it). Every time the ball goes into the good sides forward line they walk into goal.
I understand your frustration and your entitled to your opinion but please remember that we have a tonne of injuries, we are nowhere near full strength and we have heaps of youngsters playing. Just relax and stop calling for heads this early in the season and give those players the rest of the season to prove their worth, Monfries and Dyson won't go anywhere I can assure you of that. In relation to us playing the same way next 4 to 5 weeks that is unlikely I guarantee that we will have Lucas, Fletch and McVeigh back and that will stabilise the team. Overall, I'm just saying be realistic there will be no finals this year so if your expectations were that then they were wrong. There will be thrashings and some great wins to come just wait this tough period out. :wink:
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

JumboPaddy wrote:
bomberflyer wrote:About the same result as last night for about 4 or 5 weeks to come I'd say. We look like a good country side against the a shit country side at the moment (and we're it). Every time the ball goes into the good sides forward line they walk into goal.
I understand your frustration and your entitled to your opinion but please remember that we have a tonne of injuries, we are nowhere near full strength and we have heaps of youngsters playing. Just relax and stop calling for heads this early in the season and give those players the rest of the season to prove their worth, Monfries and Dyson won't go anywhere I can assure you of that. In relation to us playing the same way next 4 to 5 weeks that is unlikely I guarantee that we will have Lucas, Fletch and McVeigh back and that will stabilise the team. Overall, I'm just saying be realistic there will be no finals this year so if your expectations were that then they were wrong. There will be thrashings and some great wins to come just wait this tough period out. :wink:
=D> Great post.

Having said that, I reckon Richmond will be our only win in the next 4 games. Definitely be hoping for more though.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

On current form Richmond will give us a belting. We won't beat Sydney but our young players will get more experience which will be worth it in the long run.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

:lol: BIJ your like my no.1 fan :lol: glad you agree. I agree Rob Richmond and Sydney will be tough games, but still wouldn't count us out against the Tigers, only if we can get Fletch and McVeigh back but I aint holding my breathe.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

There once was a team called Essendon.

They were junk.

The End.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Hopefully we are through our recession, by increasing the available playing list (like decreasing interest rates) will lead to greater on-field performance (greater economic activity). Unfortunately, our game style and players available are about as real world as 1st year Uni economics. :?
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

gringo wrote:There once was a team called Essendon.

They were junk.

The End.
Incorrect gringo

We were once mighty

We are currently junk

Blame the AFL, draft system, salary cap, umpires, fitness coaches, The Dome surface, Brent Stanton....
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

So , it's the swans this week and Bolton has gone! :shock: Are we screwed? :D
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I am strangely optimistic about tomorrow's result. We are getting rubbished from pillar to post by most media now and I just have a gut feeling we will make some kind of stand tomorrow.

All the pressure is off us. No-one gives us one iota of a chance and this could just be the tonic that is needed to lift the players. All I want is for them to have red hot go and believe in themselves. The attacking game plan, whilst attractive, needs some work. Perhaps with players of the ilk of McVeigh, Fletcher, Reimers and Lonergan in more defensive efforts can be mounted. This is what I was a bit cranky with Knighta about. Its like he was saying that only one aspect of an overall playing system can be executed at one time. We need a balance of attack and defence and I dont mean flooding. I mean manning up when they have it and creating a contest. Lets not have the entire team run forward of the play when we gain possession.

My prediction 1 point win to the Bombers OR a Draw.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

MH_Bomber wrote:I am strangely optimistic about tomorrow's result. We are getting rubbished from pillar to post by most media now and I just have a gut feeling we will make some kind of stand tomorrow.

All the pressure is off us. No-one gives us one iota of a chance and this could just be the tonic that is needed to lift the players. All I want is for them to have red hot go and believe in themselves. The attacking game plan, whilst attractive, needs some work. Perhaps with players of the ilk of McVeigh, Fletcher, Reimers and Lonergan in more defensive efforts can be mounted. This is what I was a bit cranky with Knighta about. Its like he was saying that only one aspect of an overall playing system can be executed at one time. We need a balance of attack and defence and I dont mean flooding. I mean manning up when they have it and creating a contest. Lets not have the entire team run forward of the play when we gain possession.

My prediction 1 point win to the Bombers OR a Draw.
Well I can tell you it is about to absolutely PISS down in Sydney tonight....huge clouds. I'd say it will prob hang around and be wet tomorrow.

and it will be COLD>...i hope the boys hammys are warmed up well
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

tom9779 wrote:and it will be COLD>...i hope the boys hammys are warmed up well
Cold by Sydney standards, maybe :wink:. It didn't get above 9 degrees in today's Geelong v Richmond match at the 'G :o.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I cant see us getting close. Sydney prefer teams who run at them, play attacking football. The only way to beat Sydney is to play their game plan. Its what Ross Lyon uses and so far he has come away with the points. Its what we did last year and won.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

around the ground we won't win too many matchups. and without watson in close, I reckon we are going to struggle big time to earn first use of the footy.

IF Hille has a HUGE game, and McVeigh takes off where he left off, brings houli into the game, and winders finds form again. well something might eventuate.

I just think we are probably going to get smoked.

You know if we had Mcphee and NLM in, id give us half a chance as our bookends would be a lot tighter.

selfish bastards....each rubbed out for a week.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Cold by Sydney standards, maybe :wink:. It didn't get above 9 degrees in today's Geelong v Richmond match at the 'G :o.
http://weather.smh.com.au/local.jsp

windy with showers top of 17.

it will be about 15 in homebush.

cold and wet enough. should be a scrappy game, this could help us as it will level out the skills.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

tom9779 wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
http://weather.smh.com.au/local.jsp

windy with showers top of 17.

it will be about 15 in homebush.

cold and wet enough. should be a scrappy game, this could help us as it will level out the skills.
As long as we do not try and play dry weather footy, we have a chance. It will be interesting to see if Knighta modifies the "run and handball at all costs" philosophy on a wet track. If we get too cutesy we will be crucified.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Wet weather = poor execution = stoppages. Stoppages require Jobe. Nuff said.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

andrewb wrote:Wet weather = poor execution = stoppages. Stoppages require Jobe. Nuff said.

Looks like the rain is out, sun shining brightly this morning.

Wind forecast. chance of a late shower.