One of these Things Doesn't Belong....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

One of these Things Doesn't Belong....

Post by ealesy »

Seriously, did anyone see the back page of the Herald Sun today, it certainly reminded me of the good old Sesame Street "One of These Things Doesn't Belong" game.

Half the back page is taken up of with a photo of the Key Position Forwards for the Dreamteam with a story about how some consider (ie Mark Williams) consider it to be the greatest forward line ever assembled.

The photo was of Franklin (yep pay that, the kid is a freak and only going to get better), Richo (760+ goals as a roaming CHF who has played in a shithouse team, makes you wonder how many he would have kicked if he played deeper and at a team that actually had some hope of hitting him on the chest at least 30% of the time they try kicking it to him), Pavlich (easily in the top 10, if not top 5 player in the competition for the past 5 years). So yep three very talented, extremely good players.

But then the article loses all credibility by adding one Cameron Mooney to the group.

I'm sorry Cameron Mooney???? He is a serviceable, to good key position forward but nowhere near the calibre of the other 3 mentioned. He just barely kicked 50 goals last year, with the best midfield with the competition delivering it to him. Imagine him with our midfield delivering it to him, he would struggle to kick 25-30 goals.

It like they were brothers, and their made the other brothers include the younger not so good brother!!
gringo
Club Captain

Re: One of these Things Doesn't Belong....

Post by gringo »

I agree. Mooney is average to good. I'd rate Lloyd, Browne, Richo, Franklin, Williams, Roughead, Pavlich, Fevola, Tredrea, Hall, Bradshaw, Brad Johnson etc above him.

Geelong's tall forwards aren't very good. If Hawthorn can match it with the Cats in the middle, I'd happily back the Hawks.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Imagine Geelong with a Hawthorn forward line :shock:
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:Imagine Geelong with a Hawthorn forward line :shock:
Imagine Geelong with our (fit) forward line!!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I don't have any idea why they included him. He is no where in the class of those other players but he has played in two premierships.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Much more pleasant to imagine Essendon with Geelong's midfield :wink:
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

1989: Dunstall, Lockett, T Daniher, Stoneham, Daicos with Dermie on the bench.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

This comment is from a Geelong Supporter who read my PC....To Ealeasy and Ben Doolan, Cam Mooney has 1 thing that the over rated Buddy and Richo dont have and will not get for at least the next 2 years and that is a premiership medal. Mooney is a lead up forward who brings the mid field and 1/2 forward line into play hence a 129pt thrashing of Port in the GF. Unlike the bombers of 2000 we at Geelong with Mooney at CHF wont be one season wonders

GO CATS
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Royza wrote:1989: Dunstall, Lockett, T Daniher, Stoneham, Daicos with Dermie on the bench.
G. Ablett?
Essendunny
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

BenDoolan wrote:
Royza wrote:1989: Dunstall, Lockett, T Daniher, Stoneham, Daicos with Dermie on the bench.
G. Ablett?
Was injured for the 89 game. TD was the star of that game.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Scott wrote:This comment is from a Geelong Supporter who read my PC....To Ealeasy and Ben Doolan, Cam Mooney has 1 thing that the over rated Buddy and Richo dont have and will not get for at least the next 2 years and that is a premiership medal. Mooney is a lead up forward who brings the mid field and 1/2 forward line into play hence a 129pt thrashing of Port in the GF. Unlike the bombers of 2000 we at Geelong with Mooney at CHF wont be one season wonders

GO CATS
Tell your friend he is a MORON for several reasons.

1. Mooney does not bring the Geelong midfielders and half forward flankers into the game. Only a f****** idiot would think that the likes of Bartel, Ablett, Kelly, Johnson, Chapman, Selwood, Enright and Corey would need a player like Mooney to bring them into the game, and if they did, then they would be down the arse end of the ladder like we are.

2. On the fact that Mooney has found himself lucky enough to be at the right place and the right time on two occasions and has got two premiership medallions does not reflect on his playing ability at all or indicate in any shape of form that he is superior to two blokes who are such superior footballers to him it's not funny.

3. When your rabble of team finally comes good and finally wins a flag after 44 years of waiting, you would think their supporters would suck up every minor detail. Your friend wasn't even able to get the winning margin right, tosser!

4. You are having a crack at Essendon because they only won one Flag in 1999-2001. Well guess what tool, you've only won 1 Flag at the moment. What happens if Ablett, Bartel and Scarlett go down with knee injuries in the next few weeks you won't win another Flag this year will you?

5. You have provided no evidence to refute my claim that Mooney deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Franklin, Pavlich and Richardson. HE DOESN'T SUCK IT UP AND GET OVER IT!!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

At the end of the day who gives a fukc what Geelong supporters think?
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

ealesy wrote:
Scott wrote:This comment is from a Geelong Supporter who read my PC....To Ealeasy and Ben Doolan, Cam Mooney has 1 thing that the over rated Buddy and Richo dont have and will not get for at least the next 2 years and that is a premiership medal. Mooney is a lead up forward who brings the mid field and 1/2 forward line into play hence a 129pt thrashing of Port in the GF. Unlike the bombers of 2000 we at Geelong with Mooney at CHF wont be one season wonders

GO CATS
Tell your friend he is a MORON for several reasons.

1. Mooney does not bring the Geelong midfielders and half forward flankers into the game. Only a f****** idiot would think that the likes of Bartel, Ablett, Kelly, Johnson, Chapman, Selwood, Enright and Corey would need a player like Mooney to bring them into the game, and if they did, then they would be down the arse end of the ladder like we are.

2. On the fact that Mooney has found himself lucky enough to be at the right place and the right time on two occasions and has got two premiership medallions does not reflect on his playing ability at all or indicate in any shape of form that he is superior to two blokes who are such superior footballers to him it's not funny.

3. When your rabble of team finally comes good and finally wins a flag after 44 years of waiting, you would think their supporters would suck up every minor detail. Your friend wasn't even able to get the winning margin right, tosser!

4. You are having a crack at Essendon because they only won one Flag in 1999-2001. Well guess what tool, you've only won 1 Flag at the moment. What happens if Ablett, Bartel and Scarlett go down with knee injuries in the next few weeks you won't win another Flag this year will you?

5. You have provided no evidence to refute my claim that Mooney deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Franklin, Pavlich and Richardson. HE DOESN'T SUCK IT UP AND GET OVER IT!!
Hey Ealesy, at the end of the day I might be a moron and a F****** idiot but I live in the now and Geelong are on top with the best full back of the last 10 years ready and waiting to nulify Buddy (I have only played 63 games Franklin) come round 17 and the finals. I know the Cats will go back to back and I know the Bombers will continue to chase early draft picks by finishing in the bottom 4. Also as a tool I know we won the VFL premiership last year and we are on top without Eagan (All oz CHB) and Ottens( best ruckman going around) so the depth is there so if a few boys go down we can cover them with little worry.
Quick point will any bombers players get a win this weekend? Cats have I think 8 or 9 playing so like the All Australian team we are dominating the competition
Go Cats
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

bomberdonnie wrote:At the end of the day who gives a fukc what Geelong supporters think?
If I want a cats supporters opinion I will go and open a closet somewhere

Please refrain from posting this tripe on here
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

GO CATS
Good to see him counting his chickens before they hatch. Good luck against Hawthorn.
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

The problem with Geelong supporters is that they have been so bereft of success for so long they think its an automatic lay down misere that they will go back to back. This is unlike our good selves in that having won many premierships in the recent past. We know that no matter how good our team is one has to have a tremendous amount of luck and good fortune to go back to back. The premiership having being won means that the hunter becomes the hunted as we became in 2001. A few injuries to kew champions that year and we fell just 4 goals short. Geelong supporters must admit to themselves that they havent exactly set the world on fire in any game this year over 4 quarters. (This obviously precludes the game that we were thrashed by 99 points as we have a game plan that will result in such thrashing because the word defence doesnt exist in the coaches lexicon.)

Success as much as it desired and treasured can be fleeting.

P.S. Brisbane three peat is an aberration in this argument because Collingwood was involved in two of those flags.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Can I add another name to the list - which coincidentally also gets into the cats craw.

Scott Lucas - (Geelong Falcons).

I know we are all biased here - but I think most objective supporters would rate him ahead of Cam (I'm in denial and i'll come out of the closet one day) Mooney.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Scott wrote:
Hey Ealesy, at the end of the day I might be a moron and a F****** idiot but I live in the now and Geelong are on top with the best full back of the last 10 years ready and waiting to nulify Buddy (I have only played 63 games Franklin) come round 17 and the finals. I know the Cats will go back to back and I know the Bombers will continue to chase early draft picks by finishing in the bottom 4. Also as a tool I know we won the VFL premiership last year and we are on top without Eagan (All oz CHB) and Ottens( best ruckman going around) so the depth is there so if a few boys go down we can cover them with little worry.
Quick point will any bombers players get a win this weekend? Cats have I think 8 or 9 playing so like the All Australian team we are dominating the competition
Go Cats
Never seen Dustin Fletcher play?

I'd say Cox would give him a run for his money any day.

If Ablett, Bartell, Ling and Corey all have season ending injuries you don't have any chance of winning the premiership. You would be kidding yourself if you thing you have the depth to cover those players.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

we should all give him some slack on this occasion guys, he doesn't know any better, if Geelong (as unlikely as it is) becomes a regular finals playing team he will eventually learn the hard truths about footy and that it's not all a given.

i think BigFooty is a more suitable place for you mate...

P.S for the record i hope Scarlett does towel up Franklin
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

i was going to start an exact same thread when i saw the backpage as well! Mooney is definately one of the most overated players going around... never seen him truly take over a game, or even just sat back watched him and thought he was anything more then servicable. I guess he only got in the article cos Riewoldt was unavailable.