The Team V Swans

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

The Team V Swans

Post by swoodley »

Essendon have named a strengthened squad ahead of this Sunday’s AFL Round 8 clash at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on Sunday afternoon.

Dustin Fletcher, Mark McVeigh and Adam Ramanauskas return in a squad that contains 7 changes.

B: Daniher Michael Fletcher
HB: Myers Ryder Reimers
C: Stanton Watson Slattery
HF: Lonergan Neagle Jetta
F: Houli Lloyd Laycock
R: Hille Lovett McVeigh
INT (from): Dyson Hislop Johns Monfries Ramanauskas Welsh Winderlich

In: Dustin Fletcher, Jason Laycock, Sam Lonergan, Mark McVeigh, Adam Ramanauskas, Kyle Reimers, Jason Winderlich
Out: Jarrod Atkinson (omitted), Nathan Lovett-Murray (suspended), Adam McPhee (suspended), Jay Nash (omitted)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: The Team V Swans

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Nash omitted? He hasn't been good this year but he's been OK. Slightly surprised.

Glad to see Neagle remain in the side and that we're finally starting to get some of our injured players back. That side looks so much more competitive than the one we fielded against Port Adelaide.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Nash omitted? He hasn't been good this year but he's been OK. Slightly surprised.

Glad to see Neagle remain in the side and that we're finally starting to get some of our injured players back. That side looks so much more competitive than the one we fielded against Port Adelaide.
I'm a big Jay Nash fan. He has been "OK" but he can be a lot better (so can many others). I don't mind the omission if it makes him work harder to become the player he promises to be. I suspect it has to do with his lack of accountability at times (which many others can be accused of as well).
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I thought Atkison had a real dip against Port. Still There's a few other guys who have been given another crack though which is good.

That is the tallest backline i have ever seen!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm surprised that Atkinson was dropped. All I want is a good fight this week.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

we are $6.75 at the tab for a win.

have we ever had that lousy a odds?
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Are we tanking??

Why would we drop Nash?? He's the best user of the ball at the club. We need the harder bodies against the Swans with McPhee and Lovett-Murray out. Bizarre decision.

One thing I have noticed so far this season is that selection table form has been pretty good, but this decision is a bit whiffy. Interesting interchange bench, too...

Assuming Winderlich won't be available, my selected team would have been:

B: Ramanauskas Michael Fletcher
HB: Myers Ryder Nash
C: Lovett Watson Lonergan
HF: Welsh Neagle Jetta
F: Houli Lloyd Laycock
R: Hille Stanton McVeigh
INT (from): Reimers Hislop Monfries Slattery / Daniher

Johns doesn't fit structurally into a team containing Michael, Fletcher and Paddy.
Dyson probably needs a week in the twos for confidence - has been dropping off considerably the last couple of games - and doesn't suit the Swans
Can't choose between Daniher - who deserves another game based on his Bendigo form despite his lack of impact last week, and Slattery - who definitely does suit the Swans.

Nice to have selection pressure again!
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

tom9779 wrote:we are $6.75 at the tab for a win.

have we ever had that lousy a odds?
What's the line? Bookies models won't have caught up to the additional weighting we get from McVeigh/Lonergan this year yet. They will make a massive difference around the stoppages.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

andrewb wrote:What's the line? Bookies models won't have caught up to the additional weighting we get from McVeigh/Lonergan this year yet. They will make a massive difference around the stoppages.
Line with the bookies is around +37.5 @ $1.91. I'm with you, i reckon that's pretty juicy.

Barry Hall has tended to be our nemesis over the last 5 or so years we've played the Swans and he's not there. McVeigh and Fletcher make a huge difference, Lonergan helps around the stoppages and Rama adds some experience in defence. Sydney don't usually belt teams because they're fairly low scoring, so us having a 37 point head start is pretty juicy.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
andrewb wrote:What's the line? Bookies models won't have caught up to the additional weighting we get from McVeigh/Lonergan this year yet. They will make a massive difference around the stoppages.
Line with the bookies is around +37.5 @ $1.91. I'm with you, i reckon that's pretty juicy.

Barry Hall has tended to be our nemesis over the last 5 or so years we've played the Swans and he's not there. McVeigh and Fletcher make a huge difference, Lonergan helps around the stoppages and Rama adds some experience in defence. Sydney don't usually belt teams because they're fairly low scoring, so us having a 37 point head start is pretty juicy.
i reckon it will come in fast, still might be worth a stroll down to the TAB....i've lost heavily backing the dons so far this year.

Another tempting bet is Brisbane > 40pts against the blues that was paying $7.

They have got Brown, Black back in. And power looked ominous in the hall of fame game.

last time they met(albeit carlton were a lot worse) the lions absolutely murdered them.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Big ins their. I'm expecting a good fight.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I hope I'm wrong - but I think we will get smashed (>37.5 easily). The Swans are the masters of shutting down most running teams - and - despite some very useful "ins" - we cannot defend (all across the ground).

Unless Knights starts to address ALL aspects / components / details of playing football - I fear we are not going to win any, let alone a few, more games this season.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Nash out surprises and disappoints me.. Joins a growing list I'm afraid...Jobe Watson, (Braveheart) Stanton, Laycock, McPhee, Monfries, NLM, Slattery. All players who I thought were gonna be alright who are either just treading water or have gone backwards over this and other recent seasons. Throw in your never-wasers like...well I think we all know who I'm ralking about and now with Lloyd, Fletch and probably Lucas at the tail end of their careers....

Sheesh, what's going on out there. Feeling very pessimistic right now...can see another 70's era starring us in the face I'm afraid. :(
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Who gets Goodes? :D
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

F111 wrote:Who gets Goodes? :D
Ryder would appear to be the best match up we've got for him at the moment.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Even though I'm a big Nash fan, he has been turning it over a bit lately (not alone there of course!).
Maybe a spell in the magoos won't do him any harm.
Atkinson a bit unlucky.
Otherwise the selection looks okay.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Watson out, Atkinson emergency.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

This is the team that Bendigo has named. They are also playing on Sunday

Bendigo Bombers play Williamstown at Queen Elizabeth Oval at 2pm on Sunday.

B Ramanauskas Flaherty Crameri

HB Hislop Pears Nash

C Dyson Johnson Atkinson

HF Coghlan Williams Monfries

F Skipworth Welsh Johns

R Bellchambers Winderlich Magin

Int Stroobants Geary Meade Weeks Chartres Bowe Fahour Dick Hooker Davies Holmes
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

jimmyc1985 wrote:

Could not resist the $7.50 head to head although I have taken a pasting this year. I cannot recall the Dons being this long ever so this outlay is for history if nothing else. I just have a wiff of an upset.........
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark