Natrat on Richo

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Natrat on Richo

Post by BenDoolan »

This could be ugly. I don't really have confidence in this match up, but if Fletcher aint going to take Richo, who the f*** else can??? I hope we don't see the results like we did a la Joel Reynolds on Fevola / Bradley on Richo / Solomon on Hall.....

ESSENDON coach Matthew Knights has flagged versatile Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray as an option to play on Richmond superstar Matthew Richardson in Saturday night's Dreamtime at the 'G clash.

Although Knights had earmarked the emerging Heath Hocking as the type of run-with player to feature on bigger midfielders this year, he believed Lovett-Murray had the capabilities to match-up on Richardson.

"He's [Lovett-Murray] certainly someone who can fit that size and athleticism demographic and we've got a few more options this week," Knights said.

Even Lovett-Murray, who was at the same media conference with Knights to promote the match, said he would "have a go at him".

"I haven't played on him before, but I've played against him and Dustin Fletcher usually gets the job on him, but I'd like to see Paddy Ryder play on him as well," Lovett-Murray said.

Knights, a former teammate of Richardson, said the powerhouse forward/midfielder was in the best form of his career and this was highlighted in round seven.

"With Richardson, the St Kilda game, I thought was nearly the best game I've seen him play - a couple of weeks ago," Knights said.

"He was playing wing and forward and moving around beautifully and that's a credit to him, being a veteran in this league - he's a super fit athlete and he's got a lot of pride in his performance and credit to him.

"He's playing as good now as he was when he was 25, so he's a much respected player.

"He's playing a bit differently to how he's played conveniently for his whole career, but we used to run around the Botanical Gardens and as a midfielder, you prided yourself on the way you'd run and 'Richo' never used to be too far behind the midfielders at six foot six, so he's a pretty decent athlete.

"We're going to have to have a player who, one, can go with him on the run and two, is capable in the air."
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Natrat on Richo

Post by bomberdonnie »

Watch out Fred Fanning
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Sounds like a massive stuff up to me.
Hope I'm wrong.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

NLM happily suggested that Paddy could do the job...what's that saying about "with friends like him, who needs enemies" :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:NLM happily suggested that Paddy could do the job...what's that saying about "with friends like him, who needs enemies" :lol:
It seems they are very handball happy. Not only do they over handball during games, they enjoy the odd "handball" in the press as well! Over to you Paddy..... :wink:
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Put a guy with groin problems on a man who runs 17kms a game.

Yeah, that'll work.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Richo would have to be my favourite player out of all of the players outside of Essendon. He always gives 110% and I'm very worried about how we will keep him quiet.

NLM might be OK but Flether will need to double team and hold Nathan's hand every step of the way.

They would be the only two defenders that could keep up with Richo's roaming.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Wouldn't McPhee be a better choice? After his week off, should be rested and rearing to go. Don't reckon Nat Rat's fit at the moment... But good luck to him if they do put him on him though... Could be good for him experience-wise.

Just on Richo, how funny is it all the Richmond fans calling in SEN and saying Richo's finally getting the respect he deserves from opposition fans. I'd argue most rationally minded footy fans have always had respect for the big fella. Richmond fans on the other hand. If he has a bad day they blame him for everything...

:wink:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I think people underate NLM. He's quick and can play quite tall and generally does a good defensive job.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Sismis wrote:I think people underate NLM. He's quick and can play quite tall and generally does a good defensive job.
He was dropped a few weeks ago, and only brought back in because of an injury. I actually think we overrate him.

At the very least, it's not illogical to say that he's gonna struggle on Richo (if he isn't the most in-form player in the comp he's in the top 3)
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

bombercol wrote:Richo would have to be my favourite player out of all of the players outside of Essendon. He always gives 110% and I'm very worried about how we will keep him quiet.

NLM might be OK but Flether will need to double team and hold Nathan's hand every step of the way.

They would be the only two defenders that could keep up with Richo's roaming.
On Richo,

He is a flawed genious. For all his amzing talents and athleticismn, his attitude, body language, poor kicking and inconsitancy prevent him from ever being held amongs greats like Hird, Buckley, Voss etc.

The man can win a game off his own boot, but he certainly influences games so much that he can lose them just as often.

As for our chances of stopping him, none if he goes forward, however if we can actually apply pressure to the delivery to him, he will get frustrated and the bad Richo will surface and the whole team go to rabble as he sooks, complains and fires insults at his own team mates instead of playing football. However, applying pressure is not something we are well renound for in recent times so I see a flogging in the making again this weekend.