Official 2008 (Non-Essendon) Scores and Updates Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Official 2008 (Non-Essendon) Scores and Updates Thread

Post by bomberdonnie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Freo throw another game after being a few goals up in the last quarter against Carlton. Talk about no knowing how to win a game - they've thrown match-winning leads for the last 4 consecutive games.
They seem to be playing the exact type of footy as we did from 2002-2005 with tragic fade outs etc... Who is on their coaching panel again :?:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Good to see St Kilda play like the premiership contenders they were supposed to be this year - 12 goals down at 3/4 time against Brisbane.

We're completely rubbish, but at least nobody rated us.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Ahhh, Jimmy couldn't agree more. Brings tears of joy to my eyes watching them get thrashed.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Brad Johnson misses after the siren to hand North Melbourne a 3 point win.

Karma anyone? If everyone remembers the game we drew with them in 2002, Lloydy missed after the siren and Johnson was having a good old laugh.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robrulz5 wrote:Brad Johnson misses after the siren to hand North Melbourne a 3 point win.

Karma anyone? If everyone remembers the game we drew with them in 2002, Lloydy missed after the siren and Johnson was having a good old laugh.
Dunno if it was karma for the fact that we drew the game to them in 2002 when Lloyd missed after the siren, but it's about bloody time the Bulldogs had some bad luck this season. The way i see it, they could easily only be on 4 or 5 wins (instead of 7) when you consider:
- In round 1, an Adelaide player missed a shot on goal with about 30 seconds left that would've won Adelaide the game;
- In round 4, we were beating them until McVeigh and Lonergan blew their hamstrings;
- In round 5, Richmond were up by 2 goals with 2 minutes to play, but somehow found a way to let the Bulldogs snatch a draw (and Lake faked an injury to let Minson take the kick on goal that tied the match);
- In round 7, they kicked a ridiculously accurate 18.4 to beat Sydney who kicked 14.10 (i.e. Sydney probably had the better of the game but the Bulldogs just couldn't miss);
- In round 8, Freo were up by 3 goals in the last quarter but they choked.

So yes, it's about time the Bulldogs were on the wrong side of lady luck.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

... and the Hawkers go down to the Doggies in TAS. 106 - 74

Collingwood have smashed WCE by 100 points at the G. Medhurst kicked 5 and Cloke, Davis, Thomas and Didak chipped in with 3 each.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Tigers going beautifully. 73-10 late in the second quarter.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Got done by 82.

Are we that bad? Or did we just have an ordinary (use the term lightly) last week and Richmond are only slightly better than us?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:Got done by 82.

Are we that bad? Or did we just have an ordinary (use the term lightly) last week and Richmond are only slightly better than us?
The latter. The first half we played against Richmond was the worst half of footy we've played for at least two years - the only half of footy i can remember being close to as bad was the first half against Hawthorn, round 20 2006. We were down by over 10 goals at half time, and going in to that match Hawthorn had only won 6 games for the year.
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

So are we taking bets on which point of the week Mark Harvey will be sacked after yet another Freo Fade Out?
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Malky wrote:So are we taking bets on which point of the week Mark Harvey will be sacked after yet another Freo Fade Out?
Haselby and Headland are fair outs.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Looks like Robbo is gone for the season with an ACL. Wth Neitz retired, who is gonna kick their goals?
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

andrewb wrote:
Malky wrote:So are we taking bets on which point of the week Mark Harvey will be sacked after yet another Freo Fade Out?
Haselby and Headland are fair outs.
Haselby fair enough but he will be out for the whole season. I think they have found a more than capable replacement in Palmer. But Headland. :shock: Some people would probably consider it an advantage for Fremantle that a front runner like Dessy Headland isn't playing. Poor Harvey is out of his depth over there. He was absolutely crucified by Walls "On The Couch" - made ME cringe. Hope he's successful but there's a serious culture problem over there that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately don't think it's Harvey to do it. And I did think they were wrong to appoint him coach - Harvey's, well at least what I perceived, reluctance to take the job last year raised serious issues for me as to whether he was ready for the senior coaching position. BUT you can't be calling for Harvey's head after half a season. Wallace FFS has had how many years over at Richmond - threatening to turn them into the powerhouse they once were. Where are they now? Same shit - win one game and think they've done enough for the season. Then they get hammered by Sydney in what was a very flattering scoreline.

PS - And no Andrewb, I'm not singling your posts out because of your post about Bradley. I realise that I have an intense, some would say, irrational hatred for Bradley.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

It's just one of those things mate... if you have a solid competitor like Haselby out who gets you those 20 odd touches in the guts every game and runs the game out and then you also lose a bloke like headland who might be a front runner but delivers the ball forward with precision then it stuffs you right up. Add to that the fact that you're a new coach trying to put in place your new strategies and it makes things tough.

The difference between Harvey and Knights is expectation... For some reason everyone expected Essendon to be rubbish this year and hence Knights is getting a pretty easy ride in the media... add to that the fact that Sheedy has copped a pasting from everyone for the last 5 years and they don't want to eat humble pie just yet. Harvey has a team on the field that has lead at three quarter time most games and then faded out - I don't think that it's anything to do with the actual tactics that he's enforcing, more the ability of a team that has coasted for 10 years to remain disciplined enough to carry them out for four quarters.

Providing they stick with him (and I'm fairly confident they will) they'll improve markedly next year. They're getting some run through their kids this year and despite the losses they still have McPharlin, Michael Johnson, Pavlich, Tarrant and Sandilands - all of whom have their weaknesses but all of whom have a lot of potential and age on their sides.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Oh... and don't stress - I'm really not likely to take offence to something anything anyone says on an anonymous website ;)
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

andrewb wrote:
The difference between Harvey and Knights is expectation
Absolutely 100% agree when you have clowns like Walls predicting them to finish top 4. #-o But it's his first gig as a senior coach - don't know whether there are many first time coaches who would take their teams to finals in their first season.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Good game between Geelong and North Melbourne. Mooney 7 goals straight, but the Roos kept up with them most of the night. And I have to say that Gary Ablett Jnr is simply the best midfielder in the competition - BY A F****** MILE. His work rate is phenomenal, his ball handling skills is immaculate, and his ability to dodge, weave, baulk and accelerate is just great to watch. I think Gary Ablett Snr is the best footballer I've ever seen, but his son is just fabulous. I never thought much of him up until this season - but every game I've seen him, he's been superb.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sydney struggling big time against West Coast...five goals down early in the 3rd quarter...they've only kicked 3 goals for the game. The Eagles are harassing them at every possession and Sydney aren't handling it well.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sydney beat West Coast by 5 points...they hit the front for the first time with 1.32 left on the clock.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Adelaide and Hawkers even. Franklin reported. Will go.

Is a great game and I would love to keep watching but I have to go to the airport...