Would you trade Lloyd or Lucas?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Would you trade Lloyd or Lucas?

Post by Makaveli »

Just a bit of a debate to throw up for you all, which has been somewhat bandied around here before.
The two best teams of late both Geelong and Hawthorn have had 1 year where they have cleaned out some quality older players and got about 6/7 drafts picks in the top 40 picks in the draft. For that reason do you think Essendon should do the same? Obviously you need to give quality to get quality in return. So the question is being asked, would you trade M.Lloyd or Lucas (personally id go Lloyd), to a team such as the bulldogs who are probly one big name decent forward off a premiership, for say two first round draft picks? I think the answer is yes, but I'm 50/50 as things could turn around very quickly and we could be challenging within 3 years. As long as it wouldn’t damage the group who perhaps look up to Lloyd, it should be a consideration because he is around 30yrs old and I cant really see him still being there when where challenging for our next premiership.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Would you trade Lloyd or Lucas?

Post by billyduckworth »

NO
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Make it a poll.

And no.
Essendunny
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Makaveli wrote:Just a bit of a debate to throw up for you all, which has been somewhat bandied around here before.
The two best teams of late both Geelong and Hawthorn have had 1 year where they have cleaned out some quality older players and got about 6/7 drafts picks in the top 40 picks in the draft. For that reason do you think Essendon should do the same? Obviously you need to give quality to get quality in return. So the question is being asked, would you trade M.Lloyd or Lucas (personally id go Lloyd), to a team such as the bulldogs who are probly one big name decent forward off a premiership, for say two first round draft picks? I think the answer is yes, but I'm 50/50 as things could turn around very quickly and we could be challenging within 3 years. As long as it wouldn’t damage the group who perhaps look up to Lloyd, it should be a consideration because he is around 30yrs old and I cant really see him still being there when where challenging for our next premiership.
I have changed my tune completely on this, and I have thrown up the issue of our talent laden forward line being used as bait for a stronger midfield before.

I now just don't think that it would pay off trading a club champion for the next young prospect.

Even though neither player(lloyd or lucas) will be around for our next flag....(unless we seriously improve over the next 2 years).

IMO like a good used car you probably won't get value trading it, and imagine the pressure on the young guy we get in return for one of those two GREATS?

In reality we would probably need to trade a good 2-4 year player for the next young gun in a draft.

Much like the win-win situation in the Judd trade.(good article on that in the paper).

Kennedy who is a very decent KPP player with a great grab, plus pick #3(Masten). West Coast have got some great players.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

No.
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

No, not unless they ask to be traded. Never treat your club icons with disrespect, it rips the heart out of the club.
onzman
Regular Senior Player

Post by onzman »

Yes.....

Lloyd for Buddy
Lucas for Brown

Otherwise no.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

onzman wrote:Yes.....

Lloyd for Buddy
Lucas for Brown

Otherwise no.
Can Franklin play CHB?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

No

Too late anyway given both are 30+
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

F111 wrote:
onzman wrote:Yes.....

Lloyd for Buddy
Lucas for Brown

Otherwise no.
Can Franklin play CHB?
Most likely :)
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I doubt anyone would pick them up.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Firstly you don't trade you're CAPTAIN unless he wants to leave (even if you don't agree he should be captain)
Secondly you don't trade you're Clubs greats, it wrecks the fabric of the club, if they aren't allowed to retire as Bombers greats who will be and what kind of message does that send our up and coming superstars?
Lastly how do we get 2 first round draft picks from one club?
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Yep. I bought into Knights' argument that we were going to be contenders before their careers were over so backed off on this a bit. But now that it is clear that we won't contend for a flag until they've got walking frames. It's just going to hinder the development of our next forward line having them both around. One bloke to shout at the kids about positioning is enough.

Unfortunately this comes with a disclaimer... the window for trading them has passed now. Last year was probably our last chance to get value (i.e. a top 5 pick) for either of them.
The Don
Top Up Player

Post by The Don »

No
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

The more I look at this thread the more rubbish it becomes
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

No and No

Not even worth discusssing. isn't there anything else worth talking about than this total waste of time.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

No dice.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Lucas wants to finish at Essendon. :) Knights is happy for that! :D

Why of course he is! :P
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

bomberdonnie wrote:The more I look at this thread the more rubbish it becomes
Welcome to the world wide web tasmanian, how long have you had internet access? vingertje

The only problem i see is the somewhat stunt in development to the likes of Neagle and Gumbleton with Lloyd and Lucas still being around, but then again the passing on of knowledge may actaully outweigh the lack of game time they will see. Also i think with the new team coming in you might actually see it benefit us, they may/may not have the top 5 draft picks so trading a high profile player for one of those top 5 draft picks would surely suit them.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Makaveli wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:The more I look at this thread the more rubbish it becomes
Welcome to the world wide web tasmanian, how long have you had internet access? vingertje

The only problem i see is the somewhat stunt in development to the likes of Neagle and Gumbleton with Lloyd and Lucas still being around, but then again the passing on of knowledge may actaully outweigh the lack of game time they will see. Also i think with the new team coming in you might actually see it benefit us, they may/may not have the top 5 draft picks so trading a high profile player for one of those top 5 draft picks would surely suit them.
Can you name one club that had success after trading one of its club champions / legends? And when I mean champions / legends, I mean someone who has been captain, leading goalkicker, Coleman Medallist, best & fairest etc.

St.Kilda did great when they traded Lockett eh? They might have won the '97 GF had he still been there. West Coast are doing wonders without Judd at the moment too......
Essendunny