Matthew Lloyd

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Matthew Lloyd

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:WTF??????? he is kicking valuable goals every game with THE WORST DELIVERY IN THE COMP! Last year he finished in the top 10 goal kickers! What do you people want from him?
Well keeping his feet, and not making mistakes like running through the mark, that a first year rookie shouldne make would be a good start. Form comes and goes, commitment is forever.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

robbie67 wrote:
Sismis wrote:WTF??????? he is kicking valuable goals every game with THE WORST DELIVERY IN THE COMP! Last year he finished in the top 10 goal kickers! What do you people want from him?
Well keeping his feet, and not making mistakes like running through the mark, that a first year rookie shouldne make would be a good start. Form comes and goes, commitment is forever.
3 goals a game at over 70%. As he done his whole career.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote: 3 goals a game at over 70%. As he done his whole career.
Well that just tells the whole story doesnt it? Dont worry about keeping your feet Matty, dont worry about running through the mark, forget about leadership, dont worry about your opponet running off you. As long as you get your 3 goals a game at over 70%, thats all we expect these days from a captain.

Geez Sismis. That's a crap statement.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

robbie67 wrote:
Sismis wrote: 3 goals a game at over 70%. As he done his whole career.
Well that just tells the whole story doesnt it? Dont worry about keeping your feet Matty, dont worry about running through the mark, forget about leadership, dont worry about your opponet running off you. As long as you get your 3 goals a game at over 70%, thats all we expect these days from a captain.

Geez Sismis. That's a crap statement.
Keeping feet, what does it matter if he is kicking the goals? His marking style has proven it's worth over a long time.

Running through the mark, an error many a player has made. Let's crucify himfor one error. Many people consider McVeigh to be Skipper material, how many 50s has he given away?

Opponent running off him? He's a FULL FORWARD! He also laid 2 tackles which i don't think is at all bad for a Full forward considering the ammount of time the ball was in our forward 50.

i expect a Captain to go out and lead by example which is exactly what he is doing.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I agree the running through the mark has gone a bit over the top, he's done it once no need to crucify him for that. But Sismis if he is kicking the goals whilst he isn't keeping his feet would he not kick or at least create more if he was keeping his feet and fighting harder for the ball when he doesn't mark it/get the free kick?
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Gatsid wrote:I agree the running through the mark has gone a bit over the top, he's done it once no need to crucify him for that. But Sismis if he is kicking the goals whilst he isn't keeping his feet would he not kick or at least create more if he was keeping his feet and fighting harder for the ball when he doesn't mark it/get the free kick?
Do we recall the slamming we gave Richo on here when he was visibly getting frustrated at his team's delivery? Didn't chase etc because he was too busy sooking and getting upset? While this isn't quite the same thing, the lack of second efforts because of the footing issue is a problem. If he's not hit lace out, he's struggling to make any subsequent contests. This is an area he needs to address quickly.

In saying that, I think he's been pretty darn good this year on the whole.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

No doubt we will have 100 reasons for his performance after quarter time tonight as well. A Captain needs to make things happen. Those days are behind him.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

robbie67 wrote:No doubt we will have 100 reasons for his performance after quarter time tonight as well. A Captain needs to make things happen. Those days are behind him.
Sadly he was useless tonight. As I said in the game thread, at 3QT he may as well have gone and had a shower and gone home. Lucas probably could have done the same.

Lloyd is too slow moving the ball along when he gets the ball further than 50m out from goal. He just doesn't know which option to choose or where to move the ball on to. Every time he got the ball down the ground tonight he took an eternity to move it on and Hawthorn flooded back and cleared with ease.

Could someone show him footage of Franklin playing, keeping his feet, providing 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts, effecting turnovers that result in goals as well as kicking his own?

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Boyler_Room wrote:
robbie67 wrote:No doubt we will have 100 reasons for his performance after quarter time tonight as well. A Captain needs to make things happen. Those days are behind him.
Sadly he was useless tonight. As I said in the game thread, at 3QT he may as well have gone and had a shower and gone home. Lucas probably could have done the same.

Lloyd is too slow moving the ball along when he gets the ball further than 50m out from goal. He just doesn't know which option to choose or where to move the ball on to. Every time he got the ball down the ground tonight he took an eternity to move it on and Hawthorn flooded back and cleared with ease.

Could someone show him footage of Franklin playing, keeping his feet, providing 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts, effecting turnovers that result in goals as well as kicking his own?
Just show him footage of when he was the same age as Franklin.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

swoodley wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:

Just show him footage of when he was the same age as Franklin.
Or that. I made a similar comment in the game thread.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

Can anyone give me a reason why Matthew Lloyd, supposed Captain of the Essendon Football Club, should keep his spot in the senior side ahead of any other available player?

No influence
No leadership
No skills
No point in playing him

Go back to the 2nds and kick a bag and get some confidence back!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I hope the club seriously considers another captain next year. The captaincy does not suit him, nor does it bring the best out of him. Relinquish it Matty, and play out your days as just a player. It will be the best for both yourself and the club. I know I sound like a broken record, but FFS, it just aint working.
Essendunny
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

As much as it hurts me to say.....Matty it is time to go back to Bendigo. He needs to time to find his confidence, get his feel for the ball again. Once again tonight, he was had no influence after quarter time. AND to make matters worse, he has become the laughing stock amongst opposition supporters. He was seriously getting heckled late in the game, when he got a few possessions in the backline. Really sad to see and here!
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

swoodley wrote: Just show him footage of when he was the same age as Franklin.
Franklin is having consistently over 10 scoring shots a game - Lloyd never dominated games to this extent. Plus Franklin is on track for a 100 goals in the regular season - Lloyd never did this even in our heyday. In the age of flooding, I thought the days of kicking over 100 goals in the regular season were well behind us in the days of Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett. I do think that Franklin is being allowed to consistently bend the rules though (hell makes Silvagni look fair!), he pushed Ryder out of the contest a lot when Ryder played in front(another reason he may have insisted playing behind him); other players are not allowed to get away with this.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Boyler_Room wrote:Lloyd is too slow moving the ball along when he gets the ball further than 50m out from goal. He just doesn't know which option to choose or where to move the ball on to. Every time he got the ball down the ground tonight he took an eternity to move it on and Hawthorn flooded back and cleared with ease.
Spot on. He clearly stinks as anything other than a full-forward. Why Sheedy and now Knights persist(ed) with him pushing up the ground is beyond me. Surely they can see that he costs us when he gets it up there!?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Needs a run in the magoos to get some confidence back into his game. Keeping him in is only turning the feral Essendon supporters against him. The bronx cheering last night was unacceptable...
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

this thread is hilarious. to consider putting him in the two's... come on people
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

nathanskinner wrote:this thread is hilarious. to consider putting him in the two's... come on people
If you're able to offer any good reasons as to why he should keep his spot, speak now or forever hold your peace.

And just because he's played 240 odd games and kicked 800 odd goals isn't a good reason. The Port game was probably the only game where Lloyd could honestly say he beat his opponent on the day/night. I can't think of a time before that when that happened.

He is horrendously out of form and with our delivery into the forward line being as random as you could possibly get, there's no way the senior side can play him "into form".
Let him have a run around some smaller bodies in the VFL and get him back to leading strongly, taking big marks, dominating his position and showing some leadership!
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

The reason he should get a game is simple.. his our leading goal kicker and is always capable of kicking a bag.

When's the last time you have seen the Essendon midfield stream out of the middle and hit Lloyd lace out on a lead.. his supply is horrendous. I believe its a combination of bad supply and bad form. Not enough to drop him. Think about the dominant performance he put on round 1 when our team was actually playing well, running, and delivering the ball to him... had quite a bit of the ball, over 10 marks, 6 goals. Sadly over the weeks the team has gotten worse and worse. I think his capable, but I do admit his not at his best at the moment.

I think he beat his opponent in both our wins, v north, v carlton, and the loss against Port. With limited supply he was good against Richmond.

It would be very safe to say that without him we would not have won a single game this season.

His averaging 2 and a half goals a game, may not be the best, but its the best we got. No need to drop him.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Badly, badly out of form...not sure about the state of his body, but he's definitely not right at all upstairs. Hasn't been since the injury.

If you get a chance please take a look at the contest in the Bombers pocket with 3 min left in the second quarter. Ball goes to ground, Lloydy gets ready to go in and pick it up, Campbell Brown beats him to it....and Lloydy takes a nice big sidestep rather than putting his head in and crunching him. No good coming from any player. Terrible coming from the captain who has had no influence in the game upto that point.