Forward Line headaches...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Forward Line headaches...

Post by andrewb »

Ok...

So Lucas is back and Gumby will be coming back in sooner than later. Lloyd has been rubbish and our most consistent marking target and primary avenue to goal has been McPhee. Neagle is injured but deserves a spot in the team when he returns.

Assuming you can't drop the captain and we want to play Gumbleton sooner rather than later where do all these guys line up?

Do we get the ball forward often enough to play four tall forwards... What would it do to our defensive pressure?
Can we afford not to play Gumbleton up forward from a developmental perspective?
Can we afford not to have McPhee providing a target?

Selection table will be interesting for the next few weeks.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Re: Forward Line headaches...

Post by pevfan »

Don't know but I put this question to my fellow BT'ers...

Is Lloyd rapidly becoming the new Mercuri??.... I think you all know what I mean by that question.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

pevfan wrote:Don't know but I put this question to my fellow BT'ers...

Is Lloyd rapidly becoming the new Mercuri??.... I think you all know what I mean by that question.
Not sure it is fair to make comparisons to Mercuri like that.

Not sure how we should line up the forwards but with everyone fit I doubt that Neagle will get a game until he works on his fitness. If the match up is right maybe we could look at chucking Lucas down back for periods. Mind you playing 3 bigs up forward would not be the worst idea but in saying that we need to adapt if it aint working. If we do this we have to play Jetta and probably lovett forward so that they can apply the defensive pressure that the three lumbering forwards wont be able to do.

It is a nice headache to have really
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I wrote about this very scenario in the heat map thread, and I think the Lloyd/Lucas/Neagle thread (were they one and the same? I forget now)... and I had a rant saying the same thing last year when Johns was being touted as the next great CHF blah blah. May have been 2 years ago now... I'm getting old :P

First off, I think McPhee has been highlighted some weeks because he's getting attention from the #3 backman (now that Lucas is back) rather than the #1 or #2 defender. This means he's generally going to outplay them, and as such becomes a real target and a key matchup for us across the half forward line. He runs all day, presents and takes a good mark. His opponent is generally smashed. I like him across there, but if Gumbleton or Neagle were in the same position they'd be effectively doing the same thing (not necessarily as well as McPhee is, but the same principle).

On the heat map thing with Brown and Bradshaw, it's clear they have designated sides of the ground to work in inside F50. I'd suggest a similar, yet slightly different approach using two big men across half forward at 40-80m out from goal. Lloyd plays from the square, not going beyond the 50m arc and preferably staying inside the corridor or 60 degree V. Gumbleton/Neagle takes one side of the ground at HF and Lucas takes the other. With Lucas left foot, I'd suggest he plays on the left side and Gumbleton on the right. Open up the F50, with crumbers on the flanks to be at the foot of the contest.

With strong targets at half forward (which is where we consistently fall over) on each side of the ground, an open F50 with Lloyd essentially one out with his opponent and all the space in the world to work in, moving the ball quickly, we'd have several avenues to goal, Lloyd would remain the focal point and do what he does best and it would solve a problem we've had for years going forward.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Sounds like a great plan.

Who's gunna kick it to 'em?

I think I'd put McPhee on the wing.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Simple

Lucas goes to CHB. This has a twofold effect

Allows Gumbleton to play CHF, his most obvious long term position and also frees up Ryder who has been struggling of late.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Filthy wrote....

Forward line headaches?

FFS..... we have headaches needing panadeine forte' or opiates EVERYWHERE!!!

Yep, was thinking the same thing myself Filth....all sounds like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic to me.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Boyler_Room wrote: First off, I think McPhee has been highlighted some weeks because he's getting attention from the #3 backman (now that Lucas is back) rather than the #1 or #2 defender. This means he's generally going to outplay them, and as such becomes a real target and a key matchup for us across the half forward line. He runs all day, presents and takes a good mark. His opponent is generally smashed. I like him across there, but if Gumbleton or Neagle were in the same position they'd be effectively doing the same thing (not necessarily as well as McPhee is, but the same principle).

On the heat map thing with Brown and Bradshaw, it's clear they have designated sides of the ground to work in inside F50. I'd suggest a similar, yet slightly different approach using two big men across half forward at 40-80m out from goal. Lloyd plays from the square, not going beyond the 50m arc and preferably staying inside the corridor or 60 degree V. Gumbleton/Neagle takes one side of the ground at HF and Lucas takes the other. With Lucas left foot, I'd suggest he plays on the left side and Gumbleton on the right. Open up the F50, with crumbers on the flanks to be at the foot of the contest.

With strong targets at half forward (which is where we consistently fall over) on each side of the ground, an open F50 with Lloyd essentially one out with his opponent and all the space in the world to work in, moving the ball quickly, we'd have several avenues to goal, Lloyd would remain the focal point and do what he does best and it would solve a problem we've had for years going forward.
Well, it seems that this strategy was employed, although in a slightly different way. Lloyd and McPhee up on the flanks and Lucas and Neagle deep inside 50 (for the most part). Not so silly, and gives us some real structure across the forward line with strong targets across the ground.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant