The Skipper

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

The Skipper

Post by robbie67 »

Now THAT'S ******* leadership!! Can we please have some more next week? That was a magnificent performance tonight from Lloyd. I really like him in that role, and it just proves, that he has a lot more abilty than just being a in the square full forward.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: The Skipper

Post by paddyl90 »

He was fantastic tonight, I'm currently watching the replay on my laptop's TV Tuner can't wait to see the big grab. He stuck it right up them tonight and good on him. Hope it continues for the rest of the year. Well done Lloydy and team.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

That mark was ******* magic. He even had "hang time". Vintage stuff. Air Lloyd.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

I was in hysterics when he took that mark! Played like a captain tonight. Got plenty of the ball, lead from the front. I just hope people give him credit when its due. Lloyd is an absolute champion of this club, and is far from done!
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

Let him have his run I say. Look how it has given Richo a new lease of life.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Was a tower of strength inbetween the two 50's tonight. Just went for it - attacked the ball, strong grabs, good body work, ran hard. Did all the things in the highlights package I provided earlier. Just has to play with instinct.

Great to hear the Lloyd chant after that ripper mark.
Essendunny
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

That mark was sensational.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

That was one of Lloyd's best games in about 5 years !!!!

The mark was magnificent and the goal was superb when we needed a steadier. Furthermore every touch was extremely clean and effective. That is where he needs to play. Almost like a midfielder that drifts between the wing and the forward line. Some of the things he did in those last 15 minutes were just great. We looked home and they scored those 2 quick ones and there he was thwarting them time and again.

He had new boots on and they seem to have had the effect of giving him the confidence to go for it without going to ground. He was excellent in imploring the boys that they are playing for the Bombers in the huddle and he kept grabbing his the jumper as if to say we are playing for a proud and successful club that expects top performances.

Thanks Matty. We all love you and its just lovely to see you play to the level of the champion you are.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:That was one of Lloyd's best games in about 5 years !!!!

The mark was magnificent and the goal was superb when we needed a steadier. Furthermore every touch was extremely clean and effective. That is where he needs to play. Almost like a midfielder that drifts between the wing and the forward line. Some of the things he did in those last 15 minutes were just great. We looked home and they scored those 2 quick ones and there he was thwarting them time and again.

He had new boots on and they seem to have had the effect of giving him the confidence to go for it without going to ground. He was excellent in imploring the boys that they are playing for the Bombers in the huddle and he kept grabbing his the jumper as if to say we are playing for a proud and successful club that expects top performances.

Thanks Matty. We all love you and its just lovely to see you play to the level of the champion you are.
Very important. And what a difference that makes!
Essendunny
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

bit of an exaggeration their
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Oh dont ruin the moment KAAN10 ! I think we are all entitled to wax lyrical about a return to form from the Captain !! Anyway a few chardonnays will always add a bit of colour to perspective. :)

Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Yeah I will give credit where credit is due...
Was awesome again tonight...
Needs confidence and consistency...
Just goes to show give him a lashing and he comes out firing and being a true Leader...

Can he keep this up???

Still a Champion and always has been...

Captain - ???
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

He was telling them to play with some heart for the club. At half time he was telling them not to wait for the last quarter. We don't want to leave it all to one quarter but to get on top of them in the all important 3rd term. The boys obviously listened... and what a fricken game from a champion. He's been a little down in the last few weeks, but tonight was the game of a superstar.

And that mark! Followed by the goal. That's what we love to see. His endeavour tonight was superb. Running and crunching tackles, hitting the contest hard, staying on this feet, 2nd and 3rd efforts... everything we said we wanted him to do after last week's game. Way to step up to the plate, Skipper.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

Screamed my head off for 5 minutes after that mark. And coolly slotted home the vital goal.

Highlight of my year so far.
Bleeding for the red and black
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Knights said after the game that he had spoken to Lloydy about playing up the game so that he could play more of a captains role (ie be in the play a lot more) Lloydy obviously took it to heart and was inspirational all night.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Not sure how he would have been able to that standing in the square.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

Don't kiss his F****** arse now, most of you were after his head last week!!!!!!

F****** turn coats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Scott wrote:Don't kiss his F****** arse now, most of you were after his head last week!!!!!!

F****** turn coats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last week we were demanding that he keep his feet, that he impose his big body on the opposition, that he make his presence felt and lead from the front. We wanted him to put in the 2nd and 3rd efforts, we wanted him to be a part of the game even after the ball falls to the ground at a contest. We wanted him to show some real leadership and provide an example that the youngsters could follow.

Last night, he answered the call. In the last few weeks, we've been screaming for a performance like he gave last night. We're congratulating him on stepping up and doing all the things he was asked. He was only second to Hille in terms of BOG last night (IMO). He was simply superb.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The look on his face and the celebration after 'that mark' and goal was priceless!

Was a tower of strength last night.

I don't know if the role he played last night is sustainable - however with Lucas, Neagle and McPhee all up and about, it's nice to have a few forward options. Bring on the Gumby!

It is also interesting to note that when our two biggest blokes start crashing and bashing and get amongst it (Hille and Lloyd) we stand taller, run faster and deliver the ball more cleanly.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

My main criticism of him of late has been his lack of ability to keep his feet and then be able to achieve a second effort should he not mark. Last night Matty Lloyd did not go to ground once and was clean and sure in everyway. Even the coach admitted he had been out of form. All we are doing is give credit where credit is due. It would be very strange if, after that game, Bomber Talkers did NOT give him such praise.

Matthew Lloyd has always been one of my favourite player and I recall the tricky trade deal that we did to get him as a 16 year old when we got him after trading Todd Ridley and a couple of others.
Menzie!! ❤️

Regards

MH_Bomber