Player No# 4: Jobe Watson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Player No# 4: Jobe Watson

Post by Jazz_84 »

Very solid first half of the year, sorta fell away in the second half, but this being his first full year of AFL it was above expectations which is all you could ask for.

he will become a key performer for us in the coming years, will enjoy seeing Jobe develop

7/10
DazMan32
Top Up Player

Post by DazMan32 »

8 or 9 for mine, just because of the amount he improved from last season.

Awesome work Jobe, cant wait to see even more improvement next season
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

It's tough to give a rating. Are we doing it compared to other years, or just a general rating compared to other team mates?

I'd say 8/10 when looking at how he had performed in previous years.

He is a ball magnet and fantastic around the packs. Can build a midfield around that type of player. He still needs work on his disposal by foot, and probably more work on fitness, but fantastic season. Look forward to seeing him play next year.
Last edited by danstar84 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

danstar84 wrote:It's tough to give a rating. Are we doing it compared to other years, or just a geberal rating compared to other team mates?
yeah i gave my rating based around all other players, would have got a 8.5 - 9 if he kept his good form through out the year
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

For his first full season I'll give him an 8/10 but in the coming years I'd be hoping to still be able to give him 8 for better seasons.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

I'ld give him an 8/10, but i think he could still improve on his decision making a bit more. He seems to make some silly decisions every so often.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Great season and huge improvement from last year. His disposal particularly by foot has let him down.

6/10 and rightly second best player for the season.

He will have to improve his disposal to move into the elite but he may be well on his way.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Great first half of the year but needs to work on foot disposal. But a great improvement on previous seasons. Well done.

You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Id give him a 7/10. He needs to work more on disposal if he is to become one of the elite midfielders of the competition. Fantastic effort to turn things around though.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

In my book, our young fringe players should have a good long chat to Jobe Watson and get some tips on what he set out to do at the end of 2005 when he was clearly at the crossroads.

This year Jobe Watson was one of our shining lights and one of our huge poistives for the season. His challenge will now be to raise the bar a bit further next year and improve his disposal by foot.

Fully deserved his runner up in the B&F, and the Bomberland award.

Certainly now cemented his spot in the list for some time to come.

Well played. 8/10
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Had a great year and thoroughly deserved it after his huge pre-season.

He has transformed himself from a key forward to engine room midfielder between seasons which i have hardly seen before in someone at this level.

And looking back now - its ironic that his big weakness this year was his kicking which is what his game was pretty much based on prior to 2006.

7.5/10. Great work.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

When you saw how fit he was during preseason you just knew he was a man on a mission; by round 22 it was mission: accomplished.

Had a top year, especially early on. Fell away a bit, but that could also be attributed to JJ and Pev finding a bit more form and carrying more of the load. Jobe really shouldered the midfield responsibility the first half of the season while other midfielders struggled.

Has a bit to work on (and we all know what they are) but Jobe seems to be a player keen to make a name for himself, so expect a bigger and better Son of Tim in 2007.

8/10
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

8/10

Fantastic work ethic and has really pushed himself this season and has reaped the rewards. I take my hat off to the young fella. A fine season.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Jobe Watson in 2006 proved the point...if you do the work, you reap the rewards.
His job in the preseason should be to sharpen his kicking skills.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Great effort, great work ethic. A good season with great stats and recognition.

Still needs to work on skills particularly kicking.
Red and Black Forever
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Could not have asked for much more from him.

Came into the season with only a few senior games, but a completly new look. Has become the General of our midfield. Getting first hands on the ball and clearing it out to our outside players.

Major positive in a negative season. If he can continue to work on his fitness and can spend more than 3/4 as the in and under midfielder, he will only get better becoming a 30 possie player, very vital to our future midfield.

8/10
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

8/10
king_rasto
High Draft Pick

Post by king_rasto »

7/10....
Well done Jobe!
Keep it up for 07- We need you :)
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Agree with everything said so far..needs to work on kicking, but made such a big improvement this year. 8/10
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Awesome year! We need more players like Watson - fast, skillful, athletic, massive ticker. Maybe we can coax his old man out of retirement....