Rule Interpretations

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
onzman
Regular Senior Player

Rule Interpretations

Post by onzman »

Is it just me, or can you watch 8 different games each weekend and see 8 different sets of rules depending on umpires?
Holding the ball decisions range from as soon as you are tackled you are gone, to hold it as long as you like and we'll ball it up. The umpires just wouldnt call a holding the ball decision last night (against both teams) yet last week they were jumping out of their skin to blow the whistle.

Same with the "hands in the back" rule, head high contact (some umpires allow it due to the player ducking his head, some dont), push in the back, marking infringements etc etc. Seems to me there is no set standard anymore of what actually constitutes a "rule infringement", it just depends on the personal opinion of an umpire on any given weekend.

You can have 8 identical tackles from 8 different games this weekend, and there will be 8 different outcomes - if that's possible :?

No wonder everyone bags the umpires.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Rule Interpretations

Post by BenDoolan »

Dead right. But as long as the sets of umpires umpire the game consistently (collectively) on their "interpretations" throughout the match, that can be acceptable as both teams are given the same latitude. But it's when the sets of umpires have different interpretations on the field (ie all 3 umpires have 3 different interpretations) and pay them inconsistently throughout the match is where the fury in the crowd ignites eg Matthew Nicholls. Surely the umpires get together as a group before the match and discuss how they are going to approach certain infringements...
Essendunny
onzman
Regular Senior Player

Post by onzman »

BenDoolan wrote: But it's when the sets of umpires have different interpretations on the field (ie all 3 umpires have 3 different interpretations) and pay them inconsistently throughout the match .......
Which is what mostly happens every game. I can cop different interpretations provided they are CONSISTENT all over the ground, but they rarely are. Having said this, last night's game wasn't badly umpired, just very, very differently umpired to last week's, and most likely today's, and tonight's, and tomorrow's......
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

BenDoolan wrote:Dead right. But as long as the sets of umpires umpire the game consistently (collectively) on their "interpretations" throughout the match, that can be acceptable as both teams are given the same latitude. But it's when the sets of umpires have different interpretations on the field (ie all 3 umpires have 3 different interpretations) and pay them inconsistently throughout the match is where the fury in the crowd ignites eg Matthew Nicholls. Surely the umpires get together as a group before the match and discuss how they are going to approach certain infringements...
What's worse is when ONE umpire has different interpretations throughout a match... and moreso when those interpretations are clearly going a particular way every time. We see that all too often. It's hard enough with three different umpires, but when just one of them can't get the call the same more than 50% of the time, there's a major problem.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

It shits me to tears guys. I umpire with blokes I've never met in my life and yet our decisions and interpretations are identical 95% of the time. (Identically terrible if you listen to the fans....... :wink: ) Yet these blokes can't work it out? If we have any concerns about interpretations we sort it out either before the matches or during the breaks so we get consistent.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.