Anyone for a quiz?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Anyone for a quiz?

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah yeah......think you might be right WH.

On second thoughts re: lowest crowd numbers. Perhaps it would have been one of the earlier premierships that drew the lowest crowds. There wasn't a GF in 1897. So I reckon 1901 might has had the lowest crowd....
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

1901 is correct for the lowest ;) 30,031 people saw Essendon smash Collingwood 43 to 16.

1968 is incorrect though. While a massive 116,828 people did cram into the MCG, Carlton got up by 3 points...so not a winning Grand Final that one.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

BomberinJapan wrote:1901 is correct for the lowest ;) 30,031 people saw Essendon smash Collingwood 43 to 16.

1968 is incorrect though. While a massive 116,828 people did cram into the MCG, Carlton got up by 3 points...so not a winning Grand Final that one.
Well it's got to be 65 or 62 then ... I'm going with 1965.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

BomberinJapan wrote:1901 is correct for the lowest ;) 30,031 people saw Essendon smash Collingwood 43 to 16.

Ah FRUIT! I missed the "victory" part of your question. Seeing that we defeated Carlton in 1962, I'll go with that one. Beating the Saints in 1965....not sure if they had the amount of supporters to combat an Essendon / Carlton GF.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's 1965, the crowd was around 104,000.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

As for 1984, as I've been told, it all had to do with the shitfight between the VFL/VFL Park members and the MCC/State Government.

* The VFL flog Waverley memberships with the promise that the Grand Final will be played at Waverley from '84
* The State Government knock back the planning proposal for the VFL to upgrade Waverley and increase the main stand, and threaten to legislate where the Grand Final will be played.
* All parties come to an agreement that sees the Grand Final played at the MCG into the forseeable future and the Great Southern Stand built
* The MCG boost the Members reserve by around 20k to accomodate both MCC and VFL Park members
* Bad weather and the reduced amount of pre-sold tickets (not to mention the fact that the MCC cracked the shits about sharing their facilities with the great unwashed from the suburbs) leads to that infamous empty spot at the top of the Ponsford stand.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

1965 it is...with Ossie the winner and a bonus point for robrulz for providing the exact crowd number.

Back over to you guys for the next question...
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

On the night Boris kicked nine against Geelong in the centenary match, which two Essendon players were stretchered from the field and why?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Ossie wrote:On the night Boris kicked nine against Geelong in the centenary match, which two Essendon players were stretchered from the field and why?
Long? ACL possibly.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

dom_105 wrote:
Ossie wrote:On the night Boris kicked nine against Geelong in the centenary match, which two Essendon players were stretchered from the field and why?
Long? ACL possibly.
Did his knee as he kicked for goal.

Was the other one Wellman?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Definitely Longy with a patella tendon. Was the other Cocky after flying for a screamer? Concussion....
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

sorry was mixing up my season
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Longy ruptured his patella tendon kicking a goal, so one point there.
Still one to get!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. now it's coming back to me. I thought it was Cockatoo-Collins who flew for a high mark and concussed himself. Now I'm thinking it was the high flying Michael Symons...... :-k
Essendunny
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

BenDoolan wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. now it's coming back to me. I thought it was Cockatoo-Collins who flew for a high mark and concussed himself. Now I'm thinking it was the high flying Michael Symons...... :-k
Ding ding ding! Winner!
He certainly did love taking (or trying to take) a hanger, that bloke!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. now it's coming back to me. I thought it was Cockatoo-Collins who flew for a high mark and concussed himself. Now I'm thinking it was the high flying Michael Symons...... :-k
Good day
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Good day
Hahaha :lol:

You're favourite player. Still got that poster of him on your wall? :wink:
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Good day
Hahaha :lol:

You're favourite player. Still got that poster of him on your wall? :wink:
Roof actually
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

In 1977, Essendon unearthed a spate of talented young kids who went onto form the nucleus of the super teams of 1985/85 (5 debutants played in those premierships). Who won the Best First Year player award in that year?
Essendunny
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Paul Van der Haar
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.