Huge game vs the Cattery

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Huge game vs the Cattery

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:
bombercol wrote:
MH_Bomber wrote:That thing about laughing can go for you for Melksham too.

Players that deserve their salary this week:

Z Merrett
T Colyer
O Fantasia
C Hooker
M Hurley
D Heppell
J Daniher (at least he presented)

I dont want anyone to tell me how many possessions Goddard got because half them when directly into Geelong's hands. Most of the team played like absolute crap.
Melksham didn't laugh and carry on after the final siren though, his was a bit of banter during the game. Jake might not be the perfect player but at least he flew the flag tonight where he had a lot of mates who didn't.

Melksham was pathetic. Squibbed it several times.
Well he sups at the feet of the masters.

I watched the first quarter at my curry night - a couple of decent dishes and the wine was brilliant (my F******* Cellar supplied the fermented grape juice).

Anywho - I was pleased to see brave Sir Robin not commit on a couple of occasions and the hand-balling to the feet of team mates or to team mates not moving anywhere in particular is still high on the hit parade. But the biggest joy was seeing that from within 50 metres we couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Not since Fitzroy smashed us by 100 points at Windy Hill in 1979 have I been so happy to be vindicated by out ineptitude. Something has got to give!
Back then Barry Davis - who was part time and part interested - stated he would not coach beyond 1979 if we didn't make the finals.
The following year we luckily found Sheedy.
Barry Davis was booed at 3Q time in that game.

He did coach in 1980. And that was it.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote:
hop wrote:
SNIP SNIP

Not since Fitzroy smashed us by 100 points at Windy Hill in 1979 have I been so happy to be vindicated by out ineptitude. Something has got to give!
Back then Barry Davis - who was part time and part interested - stated he would not coach beyond 1979 if we didn't make the finals.
The following year we luckily found Sheedy.
Barry Davis was booed at 3Q time in that game.

He did coach in 1980. And that was it.
Hird was Boo'd at half time tonight...
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

stryper wrote:No they don't care atm.
If they did they would be furious just like us...
Something very strange is happening.

Usually in the past when they played like this...something happened mid week. Perhaps more bad news? Probably duress from being gagged?
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

I should've gone home after the VFL. The only enjoyment for the night.

Scoreline flattered us. Outside of our goalscoring prowess, there's an obvious disconnect between the midfield & forwards.
When Geelong scored a couple after our early point scoring dominance, it felt as though they had given up for the year and team defence just went to shit.

Unfortunately I don't have any alcohol handy so I'll guess I'll just have to cop the embarrassment sober & deal with it.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I didn't leave the locker room tonight. That was disgraceful.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

How good were the VFL!?! So impressed. It pisses me off to see so much amazing talent playing in there whilst some players in the seniors somehow keep their spots. Honestly, bring in the speedsters next week from the VFL and rest the oldies. I think I'm going to focus my attention more on the VFL team this year. What an absolute disgusting performance. To think last week I thought it couldn't get any worse. There's too much talent in this team when in peak form to play that poorly.

I'm calling talent like Heppell, Goddard, Colyer, Zerrett, Carlisle, Hooker, Hurley, Joe D (he has kicked 6 this year) etc. We should have these guys at least dragging the team over the line or keeping us in it. But besides Hooker & Hurley and Trav no one else seems to want to give a shit. Not to be harsh on a Bags or Hepp who try. Ambrose, Belly, Dempsey, Gwilt, Melksham to start with for me shouldn't be in the team.

Who was the idiot that booked flights to Perth next week? Me! Only positive will be to get some sunshine in Perth. Going to be a very long trip. I want to say we can't get any lower than this but it may. There's something going on internally within the team because the output is far too poor for some of the talent we have in the team. And I'm not proclaiming our team are premiership contenders when at their best but they need to sort their shit out. Going to be a long season. Anyway...Go VFL Bombers!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Perth. 13/6 Cloudy, dry. 16C!
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Of course weather goes shit then
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

26 this Tuesday!
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Well, I was at the last game we were goalless at half-time, and I was a hell of a lot more inspired than tonight.
Insipid about sums up tonight's dribble.
Half a dozen who really looked like they were having a go.
Skills were deplorable.
Oh, you poor things, did someone miss a goal or two early on? Well I suppose that's good enough reason for highly paid professional footballers to just pack it in and call it quits....NOT!
I wish it had blown out to 100 points + just to really highlight how crap this club is at the moment. And I say club, because there surely must be something going on within EFC walls for performances to have gotten this bad.
Not sure the 'something' isn't Sir James. I'm not happy with his demeanor or language lately. Too corporate, too mild-mannered. Get some emotion and instil it into the team please.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

nudder12 wrote: Not sure the 'something' isn't Sir James. I'm not happy with his demeanor or language lately. Too corporate, too mild-mannered. Get some emotion and instil it into the team please.
I totally agree with this. I watched his press conference and he just doesn't seem to have grasp of the reality of how sh-t we are playing at the moment. I think he has lost the players and it is to do with the saga. They have been the victims of the program that he sanctioned and now have the prospect of two year bans hanging over their heads. This not to say it was an illegal program but a program that has lead to untold anxiety for the players in what has transpired. Quite frankly they are playing as if suffering from PTSD.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

MH_Bomber wrote:
nudder12 wrote: Not sure the 'something' isn't Sir James. I'm not happy with his demeanor or language lately. Too corporate, too mild-mannered. Get some emotion and instil it into the team please.
I totally agree with this. I watched his press conference and he just doesn't seem to have grasp of the reality of how sh-t we are playing at the moment. I think he has lost the players and it is to do with the saga. They have been the victims of the program that he sanctioned and now have the prospect of two year bans hanging over their heads. This not to say it was an illegal program but a program that has lead to untold anxiety for the players in what has transpired. Quite frankly they are playing as if suffering from PTSD.
Yes - I've been thinking long and hard about the Hird demeanour over the past month.

On the one hand we members and supporters would like to hear the truth / what he is really thinking / some passion and emotion - yet on the other he has to present as a measured calm professional.

Given the maelstrom of media scrutiny he and the club have been under for the past 2 and a half years - he doesn't have the luxury of being himself. How many times has he (supposedly) come within an inch of losing his job or losing his rag because of the intrusive and vindictive media campaign against him? Yet he has maintained a dignified and professional public persona throughout. For this he should be congratulated.

The one aspect of his media presentation that give me the shits is his constant scratching. FFS - take a shower or get a cream. :-s

The big questions are therefore - can he coach and is the man to take us forward?

I was convinced after the Elimination Final last year that Hird was a definitive yes to both of these Q's. Bomber was great - but he was too hands off during the game - preferring to allow the players to sort things out themselves. Unfortunately our blokes are not that good, smart or mature.

10 games into this season we now sit 4-6 with the likelihood of being 4-8 after the next two Rounds. Yes we have been hurt by injuries - but so has every other team. The performances we have put up in the past two weeks - irrespective of personnel on the park are just not acceptable. Hird appears to be losing the players and I don't think he can start dispensing 'tough love' like Rodney Eade has been brought in to do at the Gold Coast.

The WADA saga for me is a convenient excuse. We've played finals (or should have) the last two years with this crap hanging over us.

Can Hirdy see his short-comings and can he do anything about it? The litmus test is here and we have up to 12 Rounds to find out. The club is 10% down on membership from last year and the way we are travelling we will be lucky to get to 50,000 members next year.

He now has to perform as coach as he once did as a player. I think it maybe too much to ask.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

MH_Bomber wrote:
. They have been the victims of the program that he sanctioned and now have the prospect of two year bans hanging over their heads.
Oh come on this has been done to death. How could he have sanctioned the program when he isn't the head of the football department? Hird is so far down the list of who to blame.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Cane not re blame

The last month indicates that Hird has lost the players and he and the coaching staff are too worried about this to make necessary (not necessarily hard) decisions re discipline and selection.

Something has to give.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote:
Last time EFC went goalless for a half was 1984
I remember that day! Western Oval. Wind like a cyclone. Rained like f***. A bog like you've never seen. Understandable that BOTH sides didn't kick a goal to half time.

Then there was Saturday. Roof over their heads, no wind, no rain, ground in perfect condition, and a nice cozy temp. These conditions were so bad that the opposition piled on 9 goals to half time.
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

BenDoolan wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
I remember that day! Western Oval. Wind like a cyclone. Rained like f***. A bog like you've never seen. Understandable that BOTH sides didn't kick a goal to half time.

Then there was Saturday. Roof over their heads, no wind, no rain, ground in perfect condition, and a nice cozy temp. These conditions were so bad that the opposition piled on 9 goals to half time.
Thanks, that makes me feel heaps better. ](*,)
Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:
bpdons wrote:
Sismis wrote:...I think we're a fair way off panic stations.
We're not far off panic stations, players have no confidence, fans are losing hope.
Hawthorn being our only hope this season. 7 weeks ago.

Played well but lost to a very under-done Sydney
Barely beat Carlton!!
Barely beat St. Kilda.
Lost to Collingwood which was there for the taking on the big stage.
Found a way to lose against North Melbourne.
Were in trouble against the lions - avoided by a big 3rd quarter effort.
Found a way to lose against Richmond on the big stage for Fletcher#400.

I just keep hoping we'll come good, they need to be getting better each week, not worse.
I think we are getting better. We are still having some terrible patches where our skills seem to disintigrate but we are seeing improvement in ball movement over all and a few players are finding form. Hibberd, Carlisle Moe for example.

I still think our no 1 structural issue is entry to forward 50. I don't understand how we can have two good marking forwards and struggle to find options to kick to.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gyoza wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

The truth does make you feel a bit sick at times...

:lol:
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote:
Gyoza wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

The truth does make you feel a bit sick at times...

:lol:
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Half of those who played in the seniors would have been dropped from the seconds based on the 2nd quarter performance.

Zach Merrett, Adam Cooney and Jake Melksham kicked at 55% efficiency :shock:

In Jake Melkshams game, he had 16 possessions for 8 Clangers.

So 50% of his disposals ended up as Turnovers. And we keep playing/paying/keeping this guy why???

Well I guess at least he can box.

FFS.

If Jake Melksham is not dropped then this club has no clue. I cannot see his worth to the side.
He has company, but really sticks out at the moment.