Angus Monfries

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Angus Monfries

Post by j-mac31 »

danstar84 wrote:I don't think Monfries fits in with the way we play. Still seems to be in between an undersized lead up player, and crumber lacking speed. I think that there are better options. I'd prefer to give Reimers a decent stint down forward. Has worked very hard on his defensive pressure, and I think with a decent streak of games, he can provide more.
I think Reimers has been bad enough often enough to suggest he will never be more than an occasionally handy player.

Much prefer to get games into Of the Egg (Dell'Ollio) to see how much he can offer in the long term and I guess stick with Davey who is actually quick.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Another stellar leadership performance by one of our mature, experienced forwards in a game where we needed strong, skillful and disciplined characters to demonstrate that we will not be brushed aside so easily.

Well done Angus!

We all look forward to you becoming a highly decorated, one club player, with life membership. =D> =D> =D>
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:Another stellar leadership performance by one of our mature, experienced forwards in a game where we needed strong, skillful and disciplined characters to demonstrate that we will not be brushed aside so easily.

Well done Angus!

We all look forward to you becoming a highly decorated, one club player, with life membership. =D> =D> =D>
Love the sarcasm hop - it's delicious!

Sorry to lay another boot in, but Kyle Reimers has been reamed by our coaching staff for his selfishness as a footballer and made to work hard in VFL ranks. That's fair enough.......... if they do this to every ******.

Hollywood Monfries ignored Dell'Olio last week by turning his back on the goal face and could have given it to him with no-one within 30 metres of him. He went back and hit the post. Nothing said or done to him about that.

3rd Q last night he takes possession of the ball around the HFF - and Winderlich is screaming for him to kick it around and centre it as he was streaming towards an unguarded goal. Monfries a) doesn't bother to look b) ignores Winderlich's calls and kicks a point.

Should a 150 game veteran know better? Would a 150 game veteran DO better?

These are the facts.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Didn't have the poise to have a look for WindyDick. That was right in front of me. ****** woeful.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

BenDoolan wrote:
hop wrote:Another stellar leadership performance by one of our mature, experienced forwards in a game where we needed strong, skillful and disciplined characters to demonstrate that we will not be brushed aside so easily.

Well done Angus!

Love the sarcasm hop - it's delicious!

Sorry to lay another boot in, but Kyle Reimers has been reamed by our coaching staff for his selfishness as a footballer and made to work hard in VFL ranks. That's fair enough.......... if they do this to every ******.

Hollywood Monfries ignored Dell'Olio last week by turning his back on the goal face and could have given it to him with no-one within 30 metres of him. He went back and hit the post. Nothing said or done to him about that.

3rd Q last night he takes possession of the ball around the HFF - and Winderlich is screaming for him to kick it around and centre it as he was streaming towards an unguarded goal. Monfries a) doesn't bother to look b) ignores Winderlich's calls and kicks a point.

Should a 150 game veteran know better? Would a 150 game veteran DO better?

These are the facts.
I knew you would love that one BD. That was one of two occasions where I did what I rarely do and called one of our own players a complete idiot (plus a bit more).
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Didn't Gus have about 16 or 17 possies and kick a goal?

Right on an average game from him - nice work Gus :roll:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:Didn't Gus have about 16 or 17 possies and kick a goal?

Right on an average game from him - nice work Gus :roll:
Exactly. It's perfect for those who love to bring up stats and say "oh look, he's up with his average disposals and kicked his customary goal - he is playing his role!"

Any chance we take him to Adelaide this week and ask for Josh Jenkins back?
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He's having a shit year no one has disputed that.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Another chance to get us on the board in the first quarter when the game was still alive, from our first good chance at goal for the game, 25m out on a bit of angle, and he hits the post. He's a flat out dud.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:He's having a shit year no one has disputed that.
I'm saying he is having a shit career. Are you disputing that?
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Yes I am.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:Yes I am.
Based on his decorated seasons in the Crichton Medal, Media Awards, Coaches Awards etc? Or even our own decorated BomberTalk B&F where he's probably finished in the depths of the list every season?
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:
Sismis wrote:Yes I am.
Based on his decorated seasons in the Crichton Medal, Media Awards, Coaches Awards etc? Or even our own decorated BomberTalk B&F where he's probably finished in the depths of the list every season?
based on having the capacity to assess players in more than 2 categories.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Staggy wrote:Monfries doesn't finish Top 10 in the B&F because he isn't in the best 10 players at Essendon. Luckily for him, AFL teams contain 22 players.

Monfries doesn't get 20-30 possessions a game. He doesn't predominently play in the midfield.

Monfries doesn't kick 40 goals a season. He isn't a Stephen Milne-esque goal sneak, no matter how badly people have wanted him to be.

Monfries is not a star player by any statistical measure.

Monfries has probably has been in the worst 5 or 6 players in the Essendon senior side most of the games he has played.

Monfires throughout his career has been selected to play in the senior side almost every game he's been available, by three different head coaches / coaching panels.

These are the facts.
Is there anyone reading this thread who would disagree with any of the above? Then why on earth are we still arguing?

Monfries is an average player who will forever be in the bottom 5 players in our team. But he's stil being selected, and has been selected by three different coaching panels almost every game he's been available. What that should tell you is that every team has players who are good enough to make the side but not good enough to be a star, or finish Top 10 in the B&F. Monfries is one of those players. Expressing frustration that he's not a great player is completely futile.

Yes he's not a great player, yes he's frustrating, yes he's not getting much better. But the coaches continue to pick him, because an AFL team is made up of 22 players and at this stage, they don't believe they have anyone else on the list to pick who would be better.
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

Interesting debate on Monfries. He's one of these players that teases you into thinking he is better than what he really is. What I saw in last night's game was Cyril Rioli who probably has every right to take the "hail mary" low percentage ping at the goals still stop and look for better options.

Monfries is writing cheques he cant honour.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

It is extraordinary that they continue to pick him.

I can only conclude that the coaches can see something that none of us can see.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

JockStrap wrote:Interesting debate on Monfries. He's one of these players that teases you into thinking he is better than what he really is. What I saw in last night's game was Cyril Rioli who probably has every right to take the "hail mary" low percentage ping at the goals still stop and look for better options.

Too true!

He's also banking cheques that we are stumping up the cash for.

Staggy - I don't buy "...the team is made up of...etc. etc." If he is in our worse 5 players and has been for his entire career - then it is time he was moved on for someone else. What other serious club would tolerate a 150 gamer demonstrating no improvement, no leadership, no character, consistently poor decision making and finishing skills, while remaining in the bottom half dozen regular senior players at the club?

Surely he can be moved on in the hope that a replacement does better, If he doesn't - then guess what - we moved that bloke on as well! We shouldn't be tolerating mediocrity.

Bomba said today that he and Hirdy aren't in the business of 'sacking players' - they will sack themselves.
Angus - you have marked your own papers and it is time for you to move on.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:
JockStrap wrote:Interesting debate on Monfries. He's one of these players that teases you into thinking he is better than what he really is. What I saw in last night's game was Cyril Rioli who probably has every right to take the "hail mary" low percentage ping at the goals still stop and look for better options.

Too true!

He's also banking cheques that we are stumping up the cash for.

Staggy - I don't buy "...the team is made up of...etc. etc." If he is in our worse 5 players and has been for his entire career - then it is time he was moved on for someone else. What other serious club would tolerate a 150 gamer demonstrating no improvement, no leadership, no character, consistently poor decision making and finishing skills, while remaining in the bottom half dozen regular senior players at the club?

Surely he can be moved on in the hope that a replacement does better, If he doesn't - then guess what - we moved that bloke on as well! We shouldn't be tolerating mediocrity.

Bomba said today that he and Hirdy aren't in the business of 'sacking players' - they will sack themselves.
Angus - you have marked your own papers and it is time for you to move on.
I think Monfries is the Henry Slattery of the F50. Slattery used to always get a game despite everyone saying he was completely crap. Two different coaches used to constantly play him and we would wonder WHY? Then Michael Hibberd came along. Thank f***.

Lets hope there's a "Michael Hibberd" type for our F50 just around the corner.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

BenDoolan wrote:.

There is but he keeps getting shafted. His name is Kyle Reimers.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:.

There is but he keeps getting shafted. His name is Kyle Reimers.
Yeah, but he needs to pull his finger out also TBH. Not sure he is the real answer. I kinda hope he is. If he (or anyone else) gets 150 consecutive goes at it, I'm sure he'll have a better impact.
Essendunny