Trade Targets - Who (realistically) will they be?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Trade Targets - Who (realistically) will they be?

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Hmmmmm.....interesting to see no-one nominating who they want.
Ahem
j-mac31 wrote:Dangerfield.

Rich.
And I will nominate Rich again, given Brisbane's most recent whooping. And again, their best players are a nearly-30 yo key forward who can't go half a season without suffering an injury and a 31 yo gun midfielder.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
Ahem
Never heard of him. Inside or outside mid?
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Ahem
Never heard of him. Inside or outside mid?
He's a relative of Houli's.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Before we outline who we would target (given other clubs drive to sign up anyone on their lists with value ... and noting that the GC will have the ability to attract trades with truckloads more $ than we could afford under the salarycap rules) .. we would need to list who we are willing to cut/trade and who is avalable.

Given the rules - and the depth of the youngsters from the past 2 years - I would not be suprised that we cut/redraft a few players.

Given the theory that drafting is of best benefit when you need to top up to make the difference between finishing top 8 in the previous year and palying in the GF - I would be more inclined to target mature age rookies (Sewell, Duscher etc)/promotion of rookie listed players ( eg Silverlock) and instead work on developing an exciting young list (Howlett, Melksham, Zacharakis, Colyer, Myers, Hardingham ... with questions still hanging over Still abd T Slattery) rather than recruiting another so so discard.

sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

This is what I would do, I would ring Pat Dangerfield's manager and say, "whatever your boy is getting paid, we'll double it" - "you just go and work out the deal with Adelaide and come back and let us know what they want".

For starters

"Stanton, Monfries, Jetta, Myers are all on the table"
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

im sure they are licking their chops with those 4 on offer...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

And what do we get? Another "gun" midfielder who will just be as ordinary as Camporeale and Prismall and be bagged in here every week....
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Let's work out who is not good enough to play for Hawthorn because he is a heartless wimp, someone who can only play full forward though he is built like a small wingman. Then give him a three year deal.

Then find someone else who is only good enough to play for Bendigo, he will probably already be discarded from Adelaide, and be the wrong side of 25. Lets give give him a year on the senior list because we are "rebuilding", and Knights just loves those boys at Bendigo.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

cynicism seems to be catching around here of late :wink:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

DC2 wrote:im sure they are licking their chops with those 4 on offer...
alright, throw in Slattery as well :wink:
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

Dangerfield signed with Adelaide yesterday for the next 2 years.. :|
It just fell out of the sky
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

sti dreams wrote: Given the theory that drafting is of best benefit when you need to top up to make the difference between finishing top 8 in the previous year and palying in the GF - I would be more inclined to target mature age rookies (Sewell, Duscher etc)/promotion of rookie listed players ( eg Silverlock) and instead work on developing an exciting young list (Howlett, Melksham, Zacharakis, Colyer, Myers, Hardingham ... with questions still hanging over Still abd T Slattery) rather than recruiting another so so discard.

sti
=D> i like it, time for the rebuilding to stop and see what we have to work with! give what we have maximum game time and coaches time/effort
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jazz_84 wrote:
sti dreams wrote: Given the theory that drafting is of best benefit when you need to top up to make the difference between finishing top 8 in the previous year and palying in the GF - I would be more inclined to target mature age rookies (Sewell, Duscher etc)/promotion of rookie listed players ( eg Silverlock) and instead work on developing an exciting young list (Howlett, Melksham, Zacharakis, Colyer, Myers, Hardingham ... with questions still hanging over Still abd T Slattery) rather than recruiting another so so discard.

sti
=D> i like it, time for the rebuilding to stop and see what we have to work with! give what we have maximum game time and coaches time/effort
So thats fine, but be prepared for several years of pain. Yes, this team has undoubted potential, but what we lack is the one or two polished mid-fileders to give us more grunt on the ball. Rtaher than drafting more kids with potential, I am inclined to think that we should 'buy' the best available, ready made star - not a washed up has been, but a genuine front page headline - I know its not easy but hey, we must have the room in the salary cap and there must be at least one top player who would be interested in moving (hell, Ablett is probably going to turn his back on Geelong for money! It can happen)

Such a player(s) would complement the development of our brigade of kids and add some maturity to the team which we sadly lack
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

auditor wrote:Dangerfield signed with Adelaide yesterday for the next 2 years.. :|
BOOOOOO!!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

j-mac31 wrote:
auditor wrote:Dangerfield signed with Adelaide yesterday for the next 2 years.. :|
BOOOOOO!!
F*ck! That kid's going to be dynamite. If he's not already.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Good on him for staying loyal to the Crows!!! :wink:

There musn't be that many top names left for trade week now... except for one G Ablett....
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:

There musn't be that many top names left for trade week now... except for one G Ablett....
Yep and now the rumours are he is looking likely to stay cause he wants a home in Toorak :lol:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Crazyman wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:

Yep and now the rumours are he is looking likely to stay cause he wants a home in Toorak :lol:
So lets make an audacious play for G Ablett then - here gary, here is $1 million if you slip on a Red and Black guernsey
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

So I hear Brisbane is looking at salary cap troubles over the next few years, so funnily enough I will mention Rich again.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

j-mac31 wrote:So I hear Brisbane is looking at salary cap troubles over the next few years, so funnily enough I will mention Rich again.
How is Rich traveling this year - seems to be a bit quieter?