Basher Houli

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Basher Houli

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:If he uses the ball the way he did tonight, all he needs to do is find more of it, and he can become pretty good.
I agree. He didn't get that much game time though. Likewise Prismall, who I thought also did well and put his head over the ball more this week.
billyduckworth wrote:Actually, call me old-fashioned, but when we have talls on the forward line such as Neagle, Gumbleton and Hardingham, why do we play a two foot midget at CHF? Can anyone explain this bizarre tactic/set up?
It is stupid. Perhaps see Robbie's thread's title for a reason. :P
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Sismis wrote:Actually reminded me a lot Dean Rioli (in his kicking). Delivered beautifuly into the 50 and hit targets. i actually think he'd make a good HFF. He's not afraid to take a kick from 50 which is something we are lacking ATM.
Yep - Both Houli and Reimers are two blokes who are prepared to have a crack at goals when they are further out than 15 metres. They both should be played as wingers or half forwards.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Doctor Fish wrote: There is a reason why he's been slumming it in the magoos contrary to many misguided Bomber fans beliefs. He's had to work on the flaws in his game.

:wink:
Geez Dr ... if only every player who had flaws in their game had to slum it in the 2's to work on them ... there wouldn't be many players available for senor selection... and some walk-up starts wouldn't have been picked all year (I'll leave it to Gringo, Gimps and Robbie to name them :wink: ).

At this stage of the season and the state of the team - I'd be more inclined to select those who are willing to have a crack and at least look interested - rather than wag the finger at some who allegedly have skill deficincies that cannot easily be distinguished from those of selected in the 22. Particularly as some players have bodies or skills that are not up to AFL standard but are being given the opportunity to develop these in the seniors - without any clear or understandable reason why some players are easily forgiven for their deficiencies but others dont last a single game before being dropped.

sti
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I don't think the good Doctor is having a direct crack at Basher for the sake of it. I am in agreeance with him, his foot skills have not been as good as people on this thread/site make out. But yes, he is a better kick than a fair few in the team.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:
Sismis wrote:Actually reminded me a lot Dean Rioli (in his kicking). Delivered beautifuly into the 50 and hit targets. i actually think he'd make a good HFF. He's not afraid to take a kick from 50 which is something we are lacking ATM.
Yep - Both Houli and Reimers are two blokes who are prepared to have a crack at goals when they are further out than 15 metres. They both should be played as wingers or half forwards.
Precisely. What ideal players to have running around the wings kicking the f****** thing long into our forward line (just like the olden days). Even Myers to an extent has a lovely long kick which can penetrate. These guys should be doing this stuff week in and week out - keep pinging the thing in there quickly and with some accuracy. You won't see opposition backmen drifting up the ground all too often when we have guys on the re-bound kicking the the bastard out of the ball to a loose forward.

Like I said elsewhere, we've got to weed out the dinky chip kickers out of the side.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Played a good game tonight, very well done young Basher..
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:Played a good game tonight, very well done young Basher..
His first half was fantastic. His kicking was top notch. He has a really good kicking action - so to Reimers. I hope he continues on his good form and the club persists with him. Blokes who can kick nice and long are worth hanging onto IMO.
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Played a great game, is a waste in the twos
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

His form in the 1's is significantly better than his form in the 2's. Was sensational in the first half, immaculate disposal. Challenge now is to back it up.

Very very good game last night.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

This dude should have been in the team long ago. Knights is still a clown. He seems to be 2 steps behind most persisting with the players he as.

Houls was all class lat night. But it seems like after 2 games he gets dropped regardless. We shall see. Slatts, Welsh and Dyson are always in the mix .
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He was great last night. Fantastic kicking and he took some very strong marks.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Now all we have to do is sit back and watch him head to the GC so we can see him playing well in the seniors on a regular basis
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Can people not see why he has been asked to go back to the 2s and work on some things? I have him as best on ground because of his dominance when the game was up for grabs. But then goes missing for 2 quarters. I have no doubt he will play every senior game for the rest of the year and will better for having to work for it.

There was a period of 10 min in the second quarter where he completely dominated the game. He is almost there.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Sismis wrote:Can people not see why he has been asked to go back to the 2s and work on some things? I have him as best on ground because of his dominance when the game was up for grabs. But then goes missing for 2 quarters. I have no doubt he will play every senior game for the rest of the year and will better for having to work for it.

There was a period of 10 min in the second quarter where he completely dominated the game. He is almost there.
LOL your a funny bastard sismis.

The question has never been if this guy is the next ablett ot judd but rather why he never got a game while these other lames keep getting selected. You say Houli went missing for a little while...guys continually picked ahead of him go missing for games at a time!

Pull your head in.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

DC2 wrote:
Sismis wrote:Can people not see why he has been asked to go back to the 2s and work on some things? I have him as best on ground because of his dominance when the game was up for grabs. But then goes missing for 2 quarters. I have no doubt he will play every senior game for the rest of the year and will better for having to work for it.

The question has never been if this guy is the next ablett ot judd but rather why he never got a game while these other lames keep getting selected. You say Houli went missing for a little while...guys continually picked ahead of him go missing for games at a time!

Pull your head in.
I think it is case of seeing the potential the guy has and trying to get him there. He may well have had a bigger impact than guys who were selected before him BUT it may not have shown him what he needs to do. We have a poor record of converting potential over the last 10 years, I think they may have made the right call this time.

You should know by now my head does not retract. :lol:
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

According to Matthew Lloyd he was sent back to the twos for persistently kicking it long instead of looking to see if there was a better option. If Friday was not a fluke, it seems to have worked; his judgement as to when to chip or handball short and when to kick long, either to an unmarked team mate or to a contest, was impeccable, as was his execution. It was easily the best game he has played. Well done Bachar, wherever you play next year!
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Sismis wrote: You should know by now my head does not retract. :lol:
LMAO sismis. True. :D
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

DC2 wrote:

Pull your head in.
He didn't get picked cos he wasn't THAT good. He is improving, but he's a long way off. I watched him play a few VFL games this year, and he was well below par. If he can't go back to Bendigo and at least play a very solid game, he doesn't deserve to be picked... Yes, I agree that some players have been picked when they shouldn't have, but, shit happens and he has now earnt his spot.