Team Round 1

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Re: Team Round 1

Post by ZeroEffect »

robrulz5 wrote:Looks like a good team. One player who has improved that no one has mentioned is Slattery, looks like he has improved and was even having a run in the middle at stages.
I didn't see him do anything special in the first two games against Brisbane and the Saints... and I have to admit I missed the game on Thursday night but of the highlights I did see there was an incident where he got caught holding the ball costing us a goal. That's pretty much stock standard Henry isn't it? Tell me he did some really good things...

As for Myers, no way should he play Round 1.

My back six would be

Dempsey, Fletcher, McVeigh
NLM, Hooker, Hocking
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ZeroEffect wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:Looks like a good team. One player who has improved that no one has mentioned is Slattery, looks like he has improved and was even having a run in the middle at stages.
I didn't see him do anything special in the first two games against Brisbane and the Saints... and I have to admit I missed the game on Thursday night but of the highlights I did see there was an incident where he got caught holding the ball costing us a goal. That's pretty much stock standard Henry isn't it? Tell me he did some really good things...

As for Myers, no way should he play Round 1.

My back six would be

NLM, Hooker, Hocking
Played on Aaron Davey for alot of the match and seemed to hold him well.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ZeroEffect wrote:
My back six would be

NLM, Hooker, Hocking
Oh and Hocking and NLM are NOT defenders and should never ever play there.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

robrulz5 wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:
My back six would be

NLM, Hooker, Hocking

Wow never ever!!! You mustn't watch many Essendon games.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ZeroEffect wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:
My back six would be

NLM, Hooker, Hocking

Wow never ever!!! You mustn't watch many Essendon games.
They were played alot there last year but shouldn't have been. Hocking is best suited to a role in the midfield which he showed against the Bulldogs in round 10, in defence he just can't hold down a forward, how did he go against Le Cras? NLM teamed up well with Ryder in the midfield.

As for watching Essendon games I went to 19 last year so no must not watch them much at all...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robrulz5 wrote:Oh and Hocking and NLM are NOT defenders and should never ever play there.
I agree.

I wouldn't have NLM in the team anyway.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Ok, having had a think about it, I'd go with this for round one

B McVeigh Fletcher Slattery
HB Heppell Hooker Dempsey
C Zaharakis Watson Stanton
HF Jetta Hurley Monfries
F Williams Gumbleton Davey
R Ryder Hocking Melksham
I Hille Prismall Howlett Crameri (sub)

I'm assuming Hille and Davey are fit, if not I'd go for Bellchambers and Colyer in their positions.
Pears not considered due to injury.
I like Winderlich and Myers but I think both have been less than impressive in the games I've seen so far this pre-season.
Neagle is no chance, same with Ricky Dyson, same Darcy Daniher, and I think the game may have passed Woosha by which is crazy for a 28-year-old.

Nice to be able to leave out the likes of Lonergan, Carlisle, Hardingham, Reimers, NLM and Hibberd
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Who is Crameri replacing on the list?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ossie wrote:I think the game may have passed Woosha by which is crazy for a 28-year-old.
It is a pity, but given he was never a great player, it's not too surprising. His lack of speed or skill means that slowing down only a little will make him a bad player.
I'm more concerned that he's in the leadership group. 1. he should be concentrating on playing the best football he can and nothing else. 2. He must not be in the team if his form doesn't warrant it, so I hope Hirdy sticks with that and doesn't pick him just because he's in the group.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

robrulz5 wrote:Who is Crameri replacing on the list?
Darcy Daniher?
j-mac31 wrote:
Ossie wrote:I think the game may have passed Woosha by which is crazy for a 28-year-old.
It is a pity, but given he was never a great player, it's not too surprising. His lack of speed or skill means that slowing down only a little will make him a bad player.
I'm more concerned that he's in the leadership group. 1. he should be concentrating on playing the best football he can and nothing else. 2. He must not be in the team if his form doesn't warrant it, so I hope Hirdy sticks with that and doesn't pick him just because he's in the group.
He was never a 'great' player of course but between 2003 and 2008 he averaged 15-20 disposals playing mostly back pocket or half back. Obviously not very quick but his disposal I thought was generally good and he is a good leader, even if he's not going to be much a part of this team from now on.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

BenDoolan wrote:
DC2 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Assuming no Pears/Gumby

McVeigh Fletcher Slattery
NLM Hooker Myers
Stanton Watson Dempsey
Monfries Hurley Zaharakis
Jetta Ryder Davey

Hille, Howlett, Hocking

Interchange - Heppell, Hardingham, Prismall, Melksham

That back line looks horrific windy.

And why do people keep naming Myers? The guy sucks, he only keeps getting named because he is a top 10 pick. Then when he plays poorly people say he needs to be played in the middle. Then when people lists their teams, sure enough good ol' Myers is playing in the backline again??
Name others on our list (who isn't injured) who could play better in the back 6......
Hardingham and heppel on flanks. Remove NLM and Myers for a start. Hooker is just there by default. I dont think he can hold down that spot with consistent success though. I do hope I am proven wrong though as I like Hooker. Seems beaten easily and more suited to a flank. Like against the Pies late in the 3rd Cloke should have never got that goal.

Hibberd also to replace Slattery. Although slatts wasnt too bad this preseason. But still dont trust slatts deep in defense. Seems to always be giving away stupid free's as well. Cant afford to do that deep in dense.