That's a loss we had coming.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hop
Club Captain

Re: That's a loss we had coming.

Post by hop »

Played dumb football tonight.

Too many times we had the balll forward of centre and just played on and blasted away - when to stop, look and find an option was clearly what was needed. Constantly under pressure going forward because A/ we allowed them to push back too easily and B/ our target selection was appaling. Without Hille providing an effective target the turn-overs would have been much worse.

Alternatively - Richmond's forward line was open and their clean use of the ball made our runners look second rate.

Agree with everything that has been said about Stanton - still what are we to do????? The leadership love him - he will be played forever and a day and he will continue to make poor decisions under pressure.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Not surprised at all! Since West Coast game haven't played that well...been up since mid February. I always expected us to slide the second half of the year as the season gets longer. No panic stations for me just yet...if we don't beat Melbourne after the bye then i'd be worried. All we need is to upset Freo, Geelong or Hawthorn perhaps a game we aren't likely to win and it'll cancel tonight out. We should've won tonight...we didn't...life goes on. They deserve the break as it's been a fantastic 9 weeks of football. Who wouldn't have taken this at season's start.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I just think we played above ourselves for a few games, I think we will he lucky to make the top 8. We have no forward line, too many passengers (ryder, Stanton, reimers, Davey), we are at least 2 a-grade midfielders short of being a top team.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:I just think we played above ourselves for a few games, I think we will he lucky to make the top 8. We have no forward line, too many passengers (ryder, Stanton, reimers, Davey), we are at least 2 a-grade midfielders short of being a top team.
LOL
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:I just think we played above ourselves for a few games, I think we will he lucky to make the top 8. We have no forward line, too many passengers (ryder, Stanton, reimers, Davey), we are at least 2 a-grade midfielders short of being a top team.
LOL
Ok, apart from a top 8 thing, don't you agree with the rest?

On the top 8, our next four games are:
Melbourne - at the g, coming off a bye. Haven't won at the g for a while
Freo - in freo, we all know how well we travel
Roos - 6 day break coming back from Perth
Hawks - again MCG.
Then we have Geelong.

We will be lucky to win 2 of our next 5.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Absolute crap - been playing ahead of ourselves...
Tell me that Collingwood for example would win without the likes of Hocking - Pendelbury,Watson - say a Swan,Hurley - say a Cloke.etc etc etc...
Plain facts were we desperately needed the bye after last week to refresh and recharge...
The umpiring was disgraceful - When did our great game of football become chuckball???
We were in it even up until the end without our great players...
And Ninthond threw everything including the kitchen sink at us... Just got over the line with some help...
Big mistake too I believe that Mcveigh and Hirdy said the players are fatigued. Not a good look.
Oh well rest up and start again. tear Melbourne a new 1...
Still in the 8 and sitting there comfortably...
Expect a different side to come out after the break...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
LOL
Ok, apart from a top 8 thing, don't you agree with the rest?

On the top 8, our next four games are:
Melbourne - at the g, coming off a bye. Haven't won at the g for a while
Freo - in freo, we all know how well we travel
Roos - 6 day break coming back from Perth
Hawks - again MCG.
Then we have Geelong.

We will be lucky to win 2 of our next 5.
We're down on quality personnel. Any team would struggle with that. Yes we do have a few passengers - but most teams have them too.

If you are purely looking at the team that took the field last night and the performance they put in as a gauge for the rest of the year - then yes, cause for concern. But I look at the other 8 games we've played and see a far different picture.

Get Watto, Hocko, Hurley back - Geelong don't worry me in the slightest.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

The problem is that they are the only three to come back (in the next 3-5 weeks). The three ruckman is not working as paddy is horribly out of form. We have no forward structure, only Crameri actually presents when Hille is not there. Even Hurley when up forward has looked out of sorts (possibly due to the injury though).

I think the Melbourne game will be out acid test (funnily enough) it's at the g, cold night, probably windy and we are coming off the bye. By rights, we should smash them but we should have pumped Richmond too.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I thought Davey was pretty horrible. Back to his old trick of running past the contest but giving the impression he is doing something.

All in all we were outplayed tonight and I think their game plan caught us out. The other factor that we need to consider is how we play at the G. Remembering back to the Carlton draw and Collingwood loss we seem to get lost in transitioning from back to forward line. We also refused to play in front all night.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote: We also refused to play in front all night.
Yes, I noticed that quite a lot.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

MH_Bomber wrote:I thought Davey was pretty horrible. Back to his old trick of running past the contest but giving the impression he is doing something.

All in all we were outplayed tonight and I think their game plan caught us out. The other factor that we need to consider is how we play at the G. Remembering back to the Carlton draw and Collingwood loss we seem to get lost in transitioning from back to forward line. We also refused to play in front all night.
Bottom line, we can't play the G. And some fans want us to play there more often!
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:Bottom line, we can't play the G. And some fans want us to play there more often!
Jeeez Windy, what sort of short sighted comment is that? Until Grand Finals are played at Etihad, we better make it a f****** priority to learn how to play well at the MCG. Do you know why Collingwood play so well there? Maybe because they play so much football at the f****** joint. #-o
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

robbie67 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Bottom line, we can't play the G. And some fans want us to play there more often!
Jeeez Windy, what sort of short sighted comment is that? Until Grand Finals are played at Etihad, we better make it a f****** priority to learn how to play well at the MCG. Do you know why Collingwood play so well there? Maybe because they play so much football at the f****** joint. #-o
Yeah and it's very difficult for them to fit their 70,000 members at Etihad :roll:
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What's with the sudden "we can't play at the MCG" thing?

FFS, we played the reigning premiers there on Anzac Day (no-one gave us a chance in hell), yet we got within a kick in the last quarter.

We then played Carlton there minus 2 running players who went down with season ending injuries during the first quarter. We courageously drew the game.

Then we played Richmond minus a glut of quality players and were still in the game during the last quarter.

Suddenly, we "can't play at the G"

:roll:
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Actually under Knights we played the 'G better than the dome. It is slightly worrying the fact this year we have struggled at the 'G, but as Doolan said, we have only played one shit team there this year.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

stryper wrote:Tell me that Collingwood for example would win without the likes of Hocking - Pendelbury,Watson - say a Swan,Hurley - say a Cloke.etc etc etc... -
They would have smashed Richmond
stryper wrote: Plain facts were we desperately needed the bye after last week to refresh and recharge...
Hepple has only played 9 games and looked better than most of them. Richmond still haven't had their bye (though you could argue they only play one quarter of footy a week)
stryper wrote: The umpiring was disgraceful - When did our great game of football become chuckball???
Our skill level was worse. 55% efficiency? Pathetic
stryper wrote: Expect a different side to come out after the break...
Hope so.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

nudder12 wrote:Yep, we had that loss comng alright - but personally I'm blaming the "dream" coaching panel.
The game plan going inside 50 sucks the big ones - any numbskull can see what we'll do - bomb it long...every...single...time. Yawns.
So the rest of the comp have woken up to us, and are effectively countering it. Have done for the last few weeks actually.
You'd reckon with the "best coaching panel in history", they'd have worked out some sort of better system by now.
And I think maybe that's part of the reason the players named earlier aren't living up to expectations - this game plan doesn't utilise their strengths very well. If we could run and carry a bit, and use the ball effectively to outside players some of the time, we'd look a lot slicker and more threatening.
I reckon the scoreboard flattered us tonight. Every time Richmond went forward they looked dangerous. When we went forward it was just hoping we'd get lucky from the mad scramble that followed the inevitable pack marking situation. I guess we'd be a chance if we had three Jetta's down there.
We're playing with a lot of energy and determination, and after the last couple of years that's great to see, but we're going to need some more system to our play to actually be a threat.
I don't disagree with much of what your saying mate. But I reckon the bigger problem is how easily we get sucked down the ground (to the forward half) and then teams simply burst past us, leaving us looking like mac trucks turning to chase ferrari's. Too many times are teams getting easy open goals in their goal squares (or within 20 or so) - either because we don't play defensive side of opponents, or we are too slow, or not fit enough, or not hard-working enough. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with all those potential explanations.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

BenDoolan wrote:What's with the sudden "we can't play at the MCG" thing?

FFS, we played the reigning premiers there on Anzac Day (no-one gave us a chance in hell), yet we got within a kick in the last quarter.

We then played Carlton there minus 2 running players who went down with season ending injuries during the first quarter. We courageously drew the game.

Then we played Richmond minus a glut of quality players and were still in the game during the last quarter.

Suddenly, we "can't play at the G"

:roll:
yeah i can't get it either? ffs. we will beat the demons in a fortnight. unlike richmond they are playing like shit.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robrulz5 wrote:
stryper wrote: Good to see though that Stants had a shocker and nobody booed or jeered him...
You must have been at a different game as he was booed every time he went near the ball.
I didn't hear it either, although we were on level 2 at the back, surrounded mostly by Richmond supporters.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

what got me angry is they allowed richmond to just moesy on down the field with no pressure into their F50, couldn't even seen an EFC player on a couple of occasions
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals