What a dead set f****** disgrace of a performance.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: What a dead set f****** disgrace of a performance.

Post by paddyl90 »

I was staggered at how most players were jogging when opposition players were within the vicinity with the ball! TACKLE THEM!!!!! That was might little observation on the night. We'd press yet the tackling was ferocious enough for me! BRUISE FREE FOOTY!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

robbie67 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:From my vantage point I was staggered at how seriously SLOW we looked, and how we continually gave up front position in contests around the ground.
We miss Dempsey and Winderlich a lot more than people thought we would.
This is one of the most relevant comments with respect to the game. We have lost one of the few adavantages we had and that was blinding pace. We looked top heavy and slow, slow, slow.

We used to be able to lock the ball in the forward line with Davey, Winders and Jetta. Davey in particular would invariably score frees for his great tackling. Ain't happening now. Defences simply run away from us. Gus and Zaka are simply not opportune crumbers.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:From my vantage point I was staggered at how seriously SLOW we looked, and how we continually gave up front position in contests around the ground. This together with being easily pushed off the line of the ball and no intensity to run and tackle made for a scheizenhausen effort by ALL.

I could go into individual performaces (poor ones) but it is far easier to say well done to Lonergan, Heppell and Melksham.

I think the coaching department better start looking at their conservatism with regard to player injuries and re-consider their "lets give them the standard injury time off, multiply it by 4 and add an extra week".
Plus if you're going to make one player work hard on his discipline (and form) and drop him the moment he has a brain fart, then I'd expect the same sort of treatment to serial inconsistent performers from last night.
Agree with everything but that line. We need to start learning how to win without Watson and Hocking. If Watson comes back a week early, strains it again, he is gone for another 4-5 weeks. We are not going to win the GF this year, not even win a final, not even make the finals so it is time to start working out who has the mental strength to stand and who doesn't. On the evidence on the last 2 matches, I think we have found our answers.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:From my vantage point I was staggered at how seriously SLOW we looked, and how we continually gave up front position in contests around the ground. This together with being easily pushed off the line of the ball and no intensity to run and tackle made for a scheizenhausen effort by ALL.

I could go into individual performaces (poor ones) but it is far easier to say well done to Lonergan, Heppell and Melksham.

I think the coaching department better start looking at their conservatism with regard to player injuries and re-consider their "lets give them the standard injury time off, multiply it by 4 and add an extra week".
Plus if you're going to make one player work hard on his discipline (and form) and drop him the moment he has a brain fart, then I'd expect the same sort of treatment to serial inconsistent performers from last night.
Agree with everything but that line. We need to start learning how to win without Watson and Hocking. If Watson comes back a week early, strains it again, he is gone for another 4-5 weeks. We are not going to win the GF this year, not even win a final, not even make the finals so it is time to start working out who has the mental strength to stand and who doesn't. On the evidence on the last 2 matches, I think we have found our answers.
Well, I'd agree with you if we have the players to cover them, but we don't. So we would be a better chance to fininishing higher on the ladder with our key players back ASAP. Hamstring injuries are suddenly taking longer to heal than broken legs at our club.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I agree with both your assessments of injuries. #-o
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:Well, I'd agree with you if we have the players to cover them, but we don't. So we would be a better chance to fininishing higher on the ladder with our key players back ASAP. Hamstring injuries are suddenly taking longer to heal than broken legs at our club.
I'm not so sure, Watson is taking the full 3 weeks as with all hammys. Gumby is taking alot longer but that is obviously because of his history (same with long)
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Well, I'd agree with you if we have the players to cover them, but we don't. So we would be a better chance to fininishing higher on the ladder with our key players back ASAP. Hamstring injuries are suddenly taking longer to heal than broken legs at our club.
I'm not so sure, Watson is taking the full 3 weeks as with all hammys. Gumby is taking alot longer but that is obviously because of his history (same with long)
The full 3 weeks? There is no full 3 weeks for a hammy. All hammy injuries are different, can be anywhere between 1 week and a season.

Don't mean to use myself as an example all the time, but.. tore my right hammy for a 3rd time. Seemed like a shocker, but got back within 4 weeks. Hadn't torn my left in the past, but did so in my return match. Didn't seem too bad, and the scans showed fairly minimal damage compared to what I had recently done to the right hammy. Took me 9 weeks to get back. Played two games (for 13 goals mind you), then did it again. Out for 6 games. Season over.

Everyone is different..
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Rule of thumb is 3 weeks for a hammy. Yes everyone is different but you would say most are 3 weeks, except Chapman's who are usually one week or Gumby's who are usually 13 weeks.

So Watson takes three weeks, big deal. If we are to be any good, we need to start winning without him. Collingwood can win without Swan or Pendelbury (will struggle without both), Hawks can win without Buddy, Cats can win without Ablett last year and Bartel or Selwood this year.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Righto. I'm going off comments made regularly by Hammer on Bomber TV in regard to our injury status. I hear him continually say "we'll be very cautious with so and so", "we'll give it an extra week", "we're taking the conservative approach" etc.

Well f*** all that. It's about time we got serious about player management and invest some time in doing things differently if we wish to be ultra "professional" and competative. Other clubs always look for that cutting edge that sets them apart from the rest. Whether it be high alltitude training, hyperbaric chambers or other scientific methods, they are trying to keep their best players on the field.

Instead of wrapping our players up in cotton wool for a quarter of a season, it might be worthwhile trying the very best they can in looking for alternatives to "doctors orders" plus an extra week for good measure.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Rossoneri wrote:Rule of thumb is 3 weeks for a hammy. Yes everyone is different but you would say most are 3 weeks, except Chapman's who are usually one week or Gumby's who are usually 13 weeks.

So Watson takes three weeks, big deal. If we are to be any good, we need to start winning without him. Collingwood can win without Swan or Pendelbury (will struggle without both), Hawks can win without Buddy, Cats can win without Ablett last year and Bartel or Selwood this year.
Bloody oath, need to win without any player. Pity is, we didn't just lose our best midfielder over the last couple of weeks, it was our best 2. Hocking is only a smidge off being as important to our chances as Watson is.

But yeah, need to think of how many clubs would stuffed without their two best midfielders:

Richmond - Martin & Cotchin and/or Deledio = f*****
Norf - Swallow & maybe Wells = f*****
Freo - Mundy & Fyfe and/or Pav = f*****
Melbourne - Scully & Trengove = f*****
Eagles - Priddis & maybe Adam Selwood = f*****
Brisbane - Black & Rich and/ or Rockliff = f*****
Adelaide - Scott Thompson (no need for a 2nd) = f*****
Carlton - Judd & Murphy = completely f*****
Gold Coast - Ablett = f*****
Port - Boak & maybe Kane Cornes = f*****
St Kilda - Hayes & Dal Santo = f*****
Sydney - Bolton & Kieran Jack = f*****
Bulldogs - Boyd & Cross and/ or Cooney = f*****

Hawthorn - Mitchell & Hodge = just about f*****

Geelong - Selwood & Bartel = borderline f*****
Pies - Swan & Pendelbury = borderline f*****, but probably best equipped to cover them
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

When it comes to hamstring injuries it all comes down to the grade of the injury.

Grade 1 strain- usually a return to sport within 2-3 weeks.
Grade 2 strain- return to sport within 6-8 weeks.
Grade 3 strain- Usually a minimum of 12 weeks before training can commence.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gimps wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Rule of thumb is 3 weeks for a hammy. Yes everyone is different but you would say most are 3 weeks, except Chapman's who are usually one week or Gumby's who are usually 13 weeks.

Bloody oath, need to win without any player. Pity is, we didn't just lose our best midfielder over the last couple of weeks, it was our best 2. Hocking is only a smidge off being as important to our chances as Watson is.

But yeah, need to think of how many clubs would stuffed without their two best midfielders:

Richmond - Martin & Cotchin and/or Deledio = f*****
Norf - Swallow & maybe Wells = f*****
Freo - Mundy & Fyfe and/or Pav = f*****
Melbourne - Scully & Trengove = f*****
Eagles - Priddis & maybe Adam Selwood = f*****
Brisbane - Black & Rich and/ or Rockliff = f*****
Adelaide - Scott Thompson (no need for a 2nd) = f*****
Carlton - Judd & Murphy = completely f*****
Gold Coast - Ablett = f*****
Port - Boak & maybe Kane Cornes = f*****
St Kilda - Hayes & Dal Santo = f*****
Sydney - Bolton & Kieran Jack = f*****
Bulldogs - Boyd & Cross and/ or Cooney = f*****

Hawthorn - Mitchell & Hodge = just about f*****

Geelong - Selwood & Bartel = borderline f*****
Pies - Swan & Pendelbury = borderline f*****, but probably best equipped to cover them
Not to mention Dempsey and Winderlich
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'm just talking the best 2 midfielders.. Demps and Winders don't fit into that category.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i guess we'll see this sunday...... chances are we are the first team in a long time that freo will beat without sandilands
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals