Who has been to the most games?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Who has been to the most games?

Post by bomberdonnie »

Carl fighter wrote:If you include Ansett Cup matches i'd probably have another 20... i used to go always to go them... I was there that night the lights went out at Waverley... i remember seeing Darren Bewick turn into a Jack Russell.

But anyway seriously if you are not walking dead (over 60) and have seen more then 200 games, you need something else in your life. I dont know what else there is.... maybe Darts with steady eddy.... Getting touched by Females is apparently awesome as well....

this has reminded me, I have downgraded my tally to 130 games... i spent one winter getting mad hand jobs. By this thing who lived down the road from me.... i'm still not sure what it was.... but it painted its fingernails for me... to put me at ease.
That is actually quite funny
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Started going to Windy Hill as a tacker with my older brothers in the early 70's.

Had a student membership '74 and '75.
Went to less games over the next 3 years - played footy on Saturady arvo.
Been a full adult member since 1979. 17/18 member since they came in. Attend all Melbourne games - unless extra-ordinary circumstances.
MCC Member to boot.

So it has to be more than 500 games attended.

Other than the wining G.F's - best game I've ever seen - 1993 prelim.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I've been going since I was a little tacker at Windy Hill in 1969.
Averaged about 15 games a year (more in the 80s, less now),
so I reckon probably about 600 in total.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Carl fighter wrote:If you include Ansett Cup matches i'd probably have another 20... i used to go always to go them... I was there that night the lights went out at Waverley... i remember seeing Darren Bewick turn into a Jack Russell.

But anyway seriously if you are not walking dead (over 60) and have seen more then 200 games, you need something else in your life. I dont know what else there is.... maybe Darts with steady eddy.... Getting touched by Females is apparently awesome as well....

this has reminded me, I have downgraded my tally to 130 games... i spent one winter getting mad hand jobs. By this thing who lived down the road from me.... i'm still not sure what it was.... but it painted its fingernails for me... to put me at ease.

I may have been to a lot of games of footy, by my reckoning, but gee, you gotta wonder whether thats as sad as getting hand relief from some old guy with nail varnish?

I am glad the nail polish put you at ease coz clearly the hand job didnt
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

First game was actually St Kilda vs Carlton in 1987 (Plugger kicked a bag, Carlton won, same old story for the Saints!) My old man is a Sainter, lived just round the corner from Linton St as a kid, but his attempt to get me into the Saints failed miserably.
I don't actually remember my first Essendon game - it may have been during 1989 when I think we were pretty good.
But the first Essendon game I vividly remember (may have been my first overall, I guess) was the 1990 semi-final when Collingwood spanked us. I sat in the first row out in the old Southern Stand and barely said a word all day. THAT was shit.

In terms of numbers, maybe only three or four games a year til I was about 17 or 18, then probably ten a year between 1998 and 2006, more in 1999/2000/2001, one year in Canberra in 2007 when I saw only three games, seven or eight a year since then ... also a few preliminary finals and a couple of Grannies ...

I'm going with 150.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

robrulz5 wrote:233.
Can you be more specific?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Carl fighter wrote: But anyway seriously if you are not walking dead (over 60) and have seen more then 200 games, you need something else in your life. I dont know what else there is.... maybe Darts with steady eddy.... Getting touched by Females is apparently awesome as well....
Not really (not sure if serious though)
My first game was in 1989 as a 7 year old (Windy Hill Massacre). Been going to roughly 16-18 per year since 1990, except for 2000 where I only went to 14 due to studies. I figured that because we were going so well, I didn't mind taking a game or two off because of studies as I didn't feel like a bandwagon supporter. When we have been rubbish (last 5 years) I have been to every game in Melbourne bar Mothers day (2 years ago) and Geelong last year as that was my mothers birthday.

So if we say 17 per year as an average (including finals), Ill be close to 400. And I have a missus, and I work 7 days a week. And up until I was 28, I was getting hammered most Saturday nights. It's called prioritising :wink:
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!