HOW much have we missed...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: HOW much have we missed...

Post by j-mac31 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
ARCN wrote:im thinking that we have a 10 year back line in:

FB hibberd Pears Hardingham
HB Heppell Hurley ???

Just missing that last one unless ive forgotten some one

Dempsey/Hooker - although I prefer Dempsey for his pace as long as he can be accountable. Hooker I have some long term concerns with but does give options

Long term, maybe A Long or Tyson Slattery?
Yep, Dempsey at this stage, Long further down the track, when Heppell goes into the midfield full time. I don't think T Slattery will make it.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

And BTW I love Hurley in he backline.

At this stage (ie. depending on whether or not we draft/trade for someone better and/or how good Carlisle becomes) I think whether Hooker is in the team long term will depend on where Hurley plays.

I'd go with Hurley in the backline. It would be great if one of Gumby, Carlisle or even Hooker could become a good tall forward, or perhaps we need to get someone else, but I'd rather go with a dominant backline and work out the forward line after that.
ARCN
On the Rookie List

Post by ARCN »

j-mac31 wrote: I'd go with Hurley in the backline. It would be great if one of Gumby, Carlisle or even Hooker could become a good tall forward, or perhaps we need to get someone else, but I'd rather go with a dominant backline and work out the forward line after that.
its work for geelong all these years, not much of a forward line and an incredibly reliable back line. Granted they had the midfield to not get the backline under too much pressure. But hey got to start some where.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

ARCN wrote:
j-mac31 wrote: I'd go with Hurley in the backline. It would be great if one of Gumby, Carlisle or even Hooker could become a good tall forward, or perhaps we need to get someone else, but I'd rather go with a dominant backline and work out the forward line after that.
its work for geelong all these years, not much of a forward line and an incredibly reliable back line. Granted they had the midfield to not get the backline under too much pressure. But hey got to start some where.

hurley looks great in the forward line too though. I thought he was exceptional against the roos for example. I have no qualms if he is our next great CHF and we instead groom other guys for the backline. Or we keep Hurls playing back.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure gumby played both back and forward as well before being drafted, carlisle also plays well at both ends...so really i think we have such a stock pile of KPP talent that we can make a decent set up at either end.
patoman
On the Rookie List

Post by patoman »

While i agree our best three backmen are Hurley, Pears and Fletch we shouldn't forget some of the great games Hooker has played in Taytes absence.
Thought Hibberd and Hardingham were fantastic and Heppell is already a gun. So there doesn't seem to be a lot of spots up for grabs in the defence which is great for selection pressure. I'd like to see Dempsey on a wing so I guess that means NLM, A.Long, DD, Myers or Hooker for the final spot in defence.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

little_ripper wrote:I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure gumby played both back and forward as well before being drafted, carlisle also plays well at both ends...so really i think we have such a stock pile of KPP talent that we can make a decent set up at either end.
I could be wrong, but I think Gumbleton only played forward. Carlisle has played a lot down back this year and has been very good.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ARCN wrote:
Indeed.