Changes for final v Scum

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: Changes for final v Scum

Post by little_ripper »

Gimps wrote:There isn't a hope in hell that Lonergan will be back..
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/a/Bye ... mbers/8536
Midfielder Sam Lonergan, who made a remarkable return from injury in the VFL, had a best on ground performance against the Coburg Tigers in the Bendigo Bombers' 57-point loss on Saturday.
BOG in the twos, is better than a hope in hell. If he backs up and plays well this weekend, he is a good chance.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Lonergan would be a conundrum for the selectors. If he does play well this weekend with BB and continues to train well, it would be hard not to select him as an additional mid-field stopper against the Scum.

Hocking, McVeigh, Welsh and Lonergan would be the four players available for the 2 positions of run with taggers. Lonergans form before injury was excellent but as we all know, its a big step up from being best in the VFL to being half decent in the AFL. Will he be ready to step back in especially given the increased pressure and tempo of a final?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Windy_Hill wrote:Lonergan would be a conundrum for the selectors. If he does play well this weekend with BB and continues to train well, it would be hard not to select him as an additional mid-field stopper against the Scum.

Hocking, McVeigh, Welsh and Lonergan would be the four players available for the 2 positions of run with taggers. Lonergans form before injury was excellent but as we all know, its a big step up from being best in the VFL to being half decent in the AFL. Will he be ready to step back in especially given the increased pressure and tempo of a final?
If fit, he'd have to at least get a look in as a sub.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

loners is a better addition than mcveigh or welsh.

imo we should be going for a younger side against carlton. lets be honest, we aint winning the flag this year, so we need to give as many younger blokes finals experience as possible.

I see no benefit to the club going forward playing mcveigh or welsh. I dont think they would be the difference between winning and losing against carlton.

if we have to carry a player(which we do still), it may as well be a kid.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

little_ripper wrote:loners is a better addition than mcveigh or welsh.

imo we should be going for a younger side against carlton. lets be honest, we aint winning the flag this year, so we need to give as many younger blokes finals experience as possible.

I see no benefit to the club going forward playing mcveigh or welsh. I dont think they would be the difference between winning and losing against carlton.

Wot ... and deny Welsh a farewell game?
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i don't know how Pears is feeling with his leg or anything but if it's ok and he is allowed i think he should be playing VFL this weekend for sure, needs gametime BIGTIME
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Shit, we have enough "young blokes" in the team already. I want to go up against Carlton with a couple of older, hard bodied experienced heads who have played finals footy. Finals are a different ball game to the normal season and I want to win the bloody thing and not just turn up by experimenting with even more kids. If we are any good they will get their chance in the ensuing years.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

rockhole wrote:

Shit, we have enough "young blokes" in the team already. I want to go up against Carlton with a couple of older, hard bodied experienced heads who have played finals footy. Finals are a different ball game to the normal season and I want to win the bloody thing and not just turn up by experimenting with even more kids. If we are any good they will get their chance in the ensuing years.
SPOT ON.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

rockhole wrote:

I don't think our team is young enough though to require playing hard bodies for the sake of hard bodies. If Hirdy and Co. thought Lonergan was ready to go, I'd much rather him in than Welsh or NLM. And Lonergan is strong and goes in hard.

Having said that, I doubt he'll be right to play anyway.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.