Oh shit - Dean Wallis Betting Scandal

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Oh shit - Dean Wallis Betting Scandal

Post by Windy_Hill »

I am not sure the AFL can be blamed or chastised over this incident. The revenues from licensing and gaming must keep a lot of clubs solvent.

No, Wallis is just a peanut for dabbling in something he simply cannot dabble in. I am sure he gets paid ok so cant see why he would even feel the need to win a few grand when it puts his career at risk and the clubs reputation on the line

I dont think this has anything to do with whether gambling is right or wrong or whether the AFL should wear some of the blame for promoting gambling. This simply a tale of a stupid man, possible exploiting his inside knowledge for personal gain.

Dumb, greedy goose
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Was the lead story on the 10 news....

apparently wasn't on an EFC game and he was placing the bet for someone else, not for himself...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:I am not sure the AFL can be blamed or chastised over this incident. The revenues from licensing and gaming must keep a lot of clubs solvent.

No, Wallis is just a peanut for dabbling in something he simply cannot dabble in. I am sure he gets paid ok so cant see why he would even feel the need to win a few grand when it puts his career at risk and the clubs reputation on the line

I dont think this has anything to do with whether gambling is right or wrong or whether the AFL should wear some of the blame for promoting gambling. This simply a tale of a stupid man, possible exploiting his inside knowledge for personal gain.

Dumb, greedy goose
Inside knowledge of who is going to lead at the end of each quarter?

You trying to say that the 44 players who took the field that day conspired to help Deano out? Now this could be the greatest scandal in AFL!
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Was the lead story on the 10 news....

apparently wasn't on an EFC game and he was placing the bet for someone else, not for himself...
Really? Haha....so he betted on a game not involving our club. And the issue is?
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:

Really? Haha....so he betted on a game not involving our club. And the issue is?
saw that too, hope to hell this is the case, if nothing more to lessen the charge for himself and the ramifications for the club in terms of media coverage and lead up to finals focus
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:I am not sure the AFL can be blamed or chastised over this incident. The revenues from licensing and gaming must keep a lot of clubs solvent.

Dumb, greedy goose
Inside knowledge of who is going to lead at the end of each quarter?

You trying to say that the 44 players who took the field that day conspired to help Deano out? Now this could be the greatest scandal in AFL!
Depends on when he placed the bets - his knowledge of team selection, possible injuries, positional changes, etc. Not saying its fullproof but it does give him an advantage that you and I dont have
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Very very stupid thing to do. I don't think it's the end of the world, but it is surely extremely dumb.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote:

The issue is that any AFL employee, player or official is forbidden from betting on AFL games (AFL rules).

If Dean's defence is to be believed - its like sending your 13 year old to the supermarket to buy your durries for you...

As (allegedly) its not involving the club - not a swinging offence, but if guilty we may anticipate a stiff fine and a suspension for a few weeks.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

The issue is that any AFL employee, player or official is forbidden from betting on AFL games (AFL rules).

If Dean's defence is to be believed - its like sending your 13 year old to the supermarket to buy your durries for you...

As (allegedly) its not involving the club - not a swinging offence, but if guilty we may anticipate a stiff fine and a suspension for a few weeks.
Not directed at you, but what a crock of shit.

I'd assume that any AFL employee, player or official is also forbidden from taking illegal drugs. But for some reason, the AFL don't want to name, shame or punish anyone until they have blown 3 chances.

Yeah, lets protect the "integrity" of the game by punishing a bloke betting on a game not involving his club, but hush up about real illegal activities.

:roll:
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Really? Haha....so he betted on a game not involving our club. And the issue is?

I'd assume that any AFL employee, player or official is also forbidden from taking illegal drugs. But for some reason, the AFL don't want to name, shame or punish anyone until they have blown 3 chances.

Yeah, lets protect the "integrity" of the game by punishing a bloke betting on a game not involving his club, but hush up about real illegal activities.

True - As the AFL is in bed with the betiing agencies - its hard to take this issue seriously (well as the AFL are not)... but I'm afraid that thems the rules ... (And you are correct about the rampant institutional hypocrisy by the AFL ... lets talk about the draw for starters and altering the chances and therefore odds of certain teams making finals!)

But teams that play doggo (like tonight) and clubs that "rest" 8 players ... when bets are being taken ... are also complicent in rorting gamblers! I seems to recall from my economics lectures about "information assymetry" and Australian laws about full and honest disclosure...

The whole system is farked ... so its easier to pick out an individual to make an example of ... so the AFL can say to all that thay're clean... rather than properly addressing the issue
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

BenDoolan wrote:

I agree with your point that the punishments given out over betting so far are exaggerated however I think gambling is a more significant issue for the AFL than drugs because of the risk of match fixing/insider trading.

The AFL has got its drug policy right however they have no choice but to be heavy handed with gambling of AFL matches.
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gnome Chomsky wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I agree with your point that the punishments given out over betting so far are exaggerated however I think gambling is a more significant issue for the AFL than drugs because of the risk of match fixing/insider trading.

The AFL has got its drug policy right however they have no choice but to be heavy handed with gambling of AFL matches.
How do you have "match fixing" / "insider trading" over a match in which your club is not involved?
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Okay. All club officials know they are not allowed to bet on the footy - full stop end of story. Why anyone involved in footy would be silly enough to be seen putting a bet on like this is really incredible.

The fact that the bet was placed on non Essendon games means that what he did was could in know way be construed as in any way corrupt. I would have been very worried if a qtr quad had been taken on our game given that we were meant to thrash them.

Rules are rules and they need to be followed.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

He made the bet in Bendigo - he probably thought he wouldn't be clocked :roll:
That's if he thought at all.

Put these two words together in a meaningful way - head dick.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 1jqe1.html

even so, if it was a cash bet and there are no cameras to show when his identity and the exact time he lay the bet, how on earth can they be positive?

wallys mate would have thrown out the dud betting slip anyhow..(unless it was a winner??)

whilst dumb I guess, I am really surprised this story made the light of day...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Outcome expected by the end of the week.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news ... 1jvdk.html
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.