Hurley - will he stay or will he go?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hurley - will he stay or will he go?

Post by Gimps »

BERT wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
danstar84 wrote:I don't think any amount of money could tempt me to live in Western Sydney!

On $1Million plus a year, I am pretty sure it will be Mosman, Double Bay or Point Piper.
And drive an hour to training every day fighting Sydney traffic.

I think he could be looking at $500k+ more per year up there.. I'd fight the Sydney traffic on a F****** rikshaw for that money..
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BERT wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
danstar84 wrote:I don't think any amount of money could tempt me to live in Western Sydney!

On $1Million plus a year, I am pretty sure it will be Mosman, Double Bay or Point Piper.

About the same travel time from his plush bayside digs in Beaumaris to the new training facilities in Tullamarine :wink:
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BERT wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

About the same travel time from his plush bayside digs in Beaumaris to the new training facilities in Tullamarine :wink:
Pswar!!! ... haven't we booked a daily shuttle 'copter from Morrabbin to Essendon Airport and back again ... with so many former Frankston players and peninsula boys recruited recently - would make sense
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

:?: :?: :?:

Where'd this bullshit come from? LOL!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Quick someone get their kid to write a little note and tape a 50c piece to it and send it to Hurley asking him to stay, a la Chris Grant style!!!
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

There are some beautiful parts of western Sydney.
Easily as nice or nicer than Essendon.
imo that won't be a factor. (you should visit the suburb that the AFL/GWS have bought up a number of townhouses/apartments in to settle new arrivals, very nice)

Essendon will sign him up at fair value, which is what GWS will also offer.
The giants have already spent a good chunk of their cap.

Think about it. Outside of Jobe, who would be the big earners at Essendon?

Blind freddy can see Hurley is in our top 5 players now...so will be rewarded as such. lock him in.

Being the marque player at a club like Essendon in Melbourne opens a lot of doors for you to make extra $$$ for the rest of your life.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:
Think about it. Outside of Jobe, who would be the big earners at Essendon.
Mark "Shotgun" Williams :wink:
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

put him on a front loaded contract cause in a few years there could be quite a few on large salaries

not the smartest way to do things given potential for injury but with where our list is we might need some money to keep players in a few years, and if we teach him how to make his money work for him now he mightn't mind so much
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I think he will stay, he is already a star and fan fave of the club already, is now part of the leadership group, inherited Lloydy's famous 18, has the great man as his coach....... he would be mad to leave just for the cash.

The longer it drags out though the more nervous I would get. Still I think GWS sights will be on Pendlebury and Goddard first...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:I think he will stay, he is already a star and fan fave of the club already, is now part of the leadership group, inherited Lloydy's famous 18, has the great man as his coach....... he would be mad to leave just for the cash.
T Scully may not have had quite the impact Hurley has so far, but he is clearly going to be a gun, I imagine he was a fan fave, would have been in their leadership group this year (a 20 yo captain!) and inherited "Barrass's" number.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

I believe he is going to stay.
I also heard that he has signed and details will be released on the family day to boost memberships...
Time will tell...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

And even more speculation....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 6270963669

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 1t467.html

The world will be his oyster if he has a half decent season this year. Good luck to the young guy I say.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Tim Watson said on SEN this morning that he would run down Bourke St naked if Hurley left.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Sports News First article so take of it what you will
ESSENDON has taken bold opening steps to retaining budding superstar big man Michael Hurley.

And the emerging young game-breaker has declared he wants to stay a Bomber.

Essendon chief executive Ian Robson and football operations boss Paul Hamilton have met with Hurley’s manager Paul Connors to launch initial discussions on what is believed to be a long term contract.

Hurley could be offered a lengthy new deal of as much as four or even five years to stay at Essendon.

Hurley, just 21, is out of contract at the end of this season and considered by Bombers management a crucial member of all long term plans for sustained finals success and premiership glory.

Connors confirmed on Wednesday he has opened talks with Bombers management.

With Robson also engaged in Hurley’s contract extension talks confirms the significantly high priority Essendon authorities place on retaining such a vital long term player.

Connors revealed that Hurley wants to stay with Essendon, dousing speculation the looming key position game-breaker could leave the Bombers at the end of this season.

“Our talks were very productive and we’re heading in the right direction,” Connors said.

“It’s fair to say that our dialogue is very open.

“Michael has indicated that he wants to stay with the Bombers and we will keep working in that direction.”

Connors could not define any specific time frame on when a agreement could be reached for Hurley’s new contract.

Hurley can play at either end of the ground in vital key position roles and is most likely a long term replacement in defence for champion veteran Dustin Fletcher, who at 36 and 347 games, could hang up his well travelled boots at the end of this season.

Hurley has already stamped an authority on the AFL and Essendon hierarchy as one of the game’s finest young guns of the future.

He finished third in Essendon’s fairest-and-best voting last season when he played 18 of the Bombers 23 games for 2011 and was elevated this year into the club’s leadership team.

Hurley has played 47 senior games since making his AFL debut in the opening Round of 2009 after he was Essendon’s first choice and pick number five overall at the 2008 AFL draft.
Kakadu Kangaroos
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Jazz_84 wrote:Sports News First article so take of it what you will
ESSENDON has taken bold opening steps to retaining budding superstar big man Michael Hurley.

And the emerging young game-breaker has declared he wants to stay a Bomber.

Essendon chief executive Ian Robson and football operations boss Paul Hamilton have met with Hurley’s manager Paul Connors to launch initial discussions on what is believed to be a long term contract.

Hurley could be offered a lengthy new deal of as much as four or even five years to stay at Essendon.

Hurley, just 21, is out of contract at the end of this season and considered by Bombers management a crucial member of all long term plans for sustained finals success and premiership glory.

Connors confirmed on Wednesday he has opened talks with Bombers management.

With Robson also engaged in Hurley’s contract extension talks confirms the significantly high priority Essendon authorities place on retaining such a vital long term player.

Connors revealed that Hurley wants to stay with Essendon, dousing speculation the looming key position game-breaker could leave the Bombers at the end of this season.

“Our talks were very productive and we’re heading in the right direction,” Connors said.

“It’s fair to say that our dialogue is very open.

“Michael has indicated that he wants to stay with the Bombers and we will keep working in that direction.”

Connors could not define any specific time frame on when a agreement could be reached for Hurley’s new contract.

Hurley can play at either end of the ground in vital key position roles and is most likely a long term replacement in defence for champion veteran Dustin Fletcher, who at 36 and 347 games, could hang up his well travelled boots at the end of this season.

Hurley has already stamped an authority on the AFL and Essendon hierarchy as one of the game’s finest young guns of the future.

He finished third in Essendon’s fairest-and-best voting last season when he played 18 of the Bombers 23 games for 2011 and was elevated this year into the club’s leadership team.

Hurley has played 47 senior games since making his AFL debut in the opening Round of 2009 after he was Essendon’s first choice and pick number five overall at the 2008 AFL draft.
Apparently Connors part owns Sports News First.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

robrulz5 wrote: Apparently Connors part owns Sports News First.
yep so pessimists wont take anything from it but the optimists will see it as he obviously had the news first hand
Kakadu Kangaroos
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

And the cynics will say it is a cold calculating move by a player manager to gouge ever last cent for his client (and ultimately himself as well) no matter if he re-signs with us, goes to a GWS or pulls one out of left field and f**** off somewhere else altogether.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

This is good news.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

What is the chance of this being resolved prior to the start of the season. Don't want any distractions.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

despite having no idea of the goings on inside an afl footy club and how the players meat market really works. this is how i would speculate contract negotiations would work....

i reckon they will sort something out.

the skeptic in me says that if any player this season says "will discuss contract negotiations at season ends" actually translates too - i am signing with another club.

Hurls and his manager are making it a big deal now because they actually want to him to stay at Essendon, but not at the expense of him losing out on his fair market price.

Nothing dodgy is going on. I would be much more worried if they were hosing down contract talk. Because GWS cant officially deal until season end anyhow.

Connors wants Hurley to get a good price. But he also wants him to sign so he can focus his energies on signing up some of his other players too.(managers need to make their commissions).