Michael Hurley

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Michael Hurley

Post by Gimps »

swoodley wrote:It's funny how you talk about Hurley being a natural backman and then plonk Carlisle as your full back.

Carlisle was drafted as a forward and I think that he needs to be given a solid run in the forward line if/when Hurley goes back.

I also doubt Crameri's capacity to play long term as a KPP forward....he will always be better as a pocket or flanker with a "roving commission"

Hooker is going to be one of our KPP backmen and is already (imo) the best on our list in that regard.
We need Hurley/ Carlisle or Gumby at CHF.

Resting ruck at FF. This is why I'd like Hille in the team - Bellchambers isn't much chop down there,

Crameri pocket or flank.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I dunno about Belly. I think he is very good.

But in saying I do think we look a better side with Ryder taking on sole rucking responsibilities and we go with an extra mid in the side. we look a lot quicker. Ryder just excels when given the responsibility and our midfield group looks dynamic.

imo we should consider grooming perhaps carlisle as a chop out for ryder when he needs a short spell and as radical as this sounds keep Hille on as our backup ruckman and put Belly up on the trade block.

He should get us a top line player, because he is a very very good young ruckman in his own right.(might come back to bite us in the long run, but heck with daniher coming on, ryder being an established young gun we have for another 4....and perhaps we could squeeze 2 more years out of hilley until retirement).

depends on big dave if he is really up to it or not though.

Seems like a crazy suggestion, as generally I think you need 3 decent rucks on the list and they do not grow on trees. But I think because we have Ryder, who is so special...I think its something worth considering....
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

swoodley wrote:It's funny how you talk about Hurley being a natural backman and then plonk Carlisle as your full back.

Carlisle was drafted as a forward and I think that he needs to be given a solid run in the forward line if/when Hurley goes back.

I also doubt Crameri's capacity to play long term as a KPP forward....he will always be better as a pocket or flanker with a "roving commission"

Hooker is going to be one of our KPP backmen and is already (imo) the best on our list in that regard.
Carlisle looks like a full back to me. And he has done pretty well as a key defender this year. By the way, Hurley was always a defender in U/18 footy. I think he troweled Tredrea in his first game
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:

Carlisle looks like a full back to me. And he has done pretty well as a key defender this year. By the way, Hurley was always a defender in U/18 footy. I think he troweled Tredrea in his first game
And Carlisle was always a forward.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

swoodley wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

And has been average at best when playing there.

I am not getting your point, Carlisle has shown he is a better defender than forward therefore I have shown him at Full Back. Hurley is a more natural defender and I have him at CHB. No logic flaws, no conspiracy just my opinion based on what I have seen from both players.
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

The only issue for Jake is the fact that we do play the resting ruckman as a key forward. If and when Gumby comes into the side and takes the CHF spot and any growth from Joe Daniher, Jake will be pushed out, unless he is the back up ruckman to Ryder.
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

I reckon it would be easier to go from a forward to a back, than the other way around.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ossie wrote:Hurley's having the same problem Lloyd had since about 2004. Our midfielders just don't give him a chance. Every kick is either on top of his head or to the defender's side. Sydney's pressure made a lot of that unavoidable last night but we just don't kick it to him well enough.
I don't subscribe to this theory though. Most of the time Hurley isn't providing good timely leads. And when he is leading out to meet the ball he is running so hard that he ends up running "under it" or the ball is hitting his hands too hard and he spills it.

No forward receives 100% perfect delivery. None. They have to fight for possession just like everyone else and win their contests. If we have 78 F50 entries, then surely to f*** he will win some of them.

And then there have been the occasions when the kick has been perfect and he has wasted his opportunity by missing dead set simple shots.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

And has been average at best when playing there.

I am not getting your point, Carlisle has shown he is a better defender than forward therefore I have shown him at Full Back. Hurley is a more natural defender and I have him at CHB. No logic flaws, no conspiracy just my opinion based on what I have seen from both players.
Carlisle has spent very little time forward in his career so far.

The point I am making is not a difficult one....I am comparing Hurley playing juniors as a defender with Carlisle playing juniors as a forward. I would of thought the comparison was obvious.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Hurley was the diffence between us winning and losing several games last year. He has not lost this talent, he is just down on confidence. I remember Hirdy going through a bad patch early in his career when he could not kick the ball to save himself. This seemed to remedy itself as it will for Hurls.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

rockhole wrote:Hurley was the diffence between us winning and losing several games last year. He has not lost this talent, he is just down on confidence. I remember Hirdy going through a bad patch early in his career when he could not kick the ball to save himself. This seemed to remedy itself as it will for Hurls.
I reckon he is proving a lot of worth when he moves up the ground at the moment. Which i don't mind him doing whilst he has the goal kicking yips.