Changes

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Changes

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Gimps wrote:I swear some of you people don't watch our games. Drop Hooker? Give me a ****** spell. No.1 in the league for intercept marks, his direct opponents are doing anything special, he's been solid as a f****** rock.
His opponents are nobody, so of course they're doing nothing. Hurley would be BOG most weeks in his role. And I'm still not convinced on Hooker's disposal or decision making.

Also I'll add that you sound like Sismis with your intercept marks stat.
Stat contradicts your opinion, must be irrelevant.
Hooker has improved a lot this year. 1.45345781954377664287 contested marks or not.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:
Sismis wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Gimps wrote:I swear some of you people don't watch our games. Drop Hooker? Give me a ****** spell. No.1 in the league for intercept marks, his direct opponents are doing anything special, he's been solid as a f****** rock.
His opponents are nobody, so of course they're doing nothing. Hurley would be BOG most weeks in his role. And I'm still not convinced on Hooker's disposal or decision making.

Also I'll add that you sound like Sismis with your intercept marks stat.
Stat contradicts your opinion, must be irrelevant.
Hooker has improved a lot this year. 1.45345781954377664287 contested marks or not.
As a defender, you would think that would be near the top of your list got stats that you want to excel in.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

What has suddenly made Gumbleton a lock for the team for some people. Is it simply because he is finally fit and can get out on the ground.

For mine, unless Gumby marks the ball, he is f****** putrid. Is pathetic below his knees, offers no defensive pressure, and doesn't provide the same aggressive presence that either Hurley or Crameri do.

It is good that he has been able to get some more games into him and has been good in most of those games (was very quiet against Geelong); however, have no idea how he has jumped ahead of Hurley as a key forward in some people's opinions.

Hurley was very good the two weeks playing as a key forward in the two weeks before he was injured. One quiet game back and suddenly he is to be banished to the backline.

Don't f****** think so, don't f****** think the TRB think so either. Let's face it, if he is fit and selected to play, Hurley for the forseeable future will be playing as a key forward. It's where the coaches want him to play and he has said himself it is where he wants to play to.

So it comes down to whether the TRB believes Gumbleton offers more up forward that Hooker does down back combined with Hurley up forward.

To accomodate Gumbleton in the team at the moment it means that Hurley would have to play back, and Hooker would be dropped. I would argue that given form this season so far Hooker is far more deserving of a spot in the team, irrespective of where you feel Hurley might be best suited to play.

Ryder has to come in, that means Gumbleton has to go back to the ressies and keep kicking bags of goals there to maintain selection pressure on Hurley and Crameri.

So my changes would be:

Out: Davey (Inj), Gumbleton, NLM, Hardingham (not that he has done much wrong)

In: Stanton, Dempsey, Ryder, Coyler/Merrett
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Hurley may be good as a forward but he is not great - conversely, while Gumbleton is putrid below his knees, Hurley is almost as bad when it comes to marking - surely a must have skill for a key forward

The logic of sending Hurley back is to allow Gumbleton to remain the key marking forward with Crameri in support when the ball hits the deck or as an option on the lead. Then you have Winderlich, Davey (when fit) and the resting ruckmen to complete the cast.

Hurley has the potential to be the leagues supreme CHB. Carlisle drops into Fletch's full back role and Hooker remains the third tall.

As for Fletch, he needs to be managed going forward. Looked very slow last week but I am sure he still has a lot to offer - certainly deserves the right to play - but probably best in a loose, sweeping role.

Finally, the bigger issue is we need to prepare the way for the inevitable arrival of Joe Daniher. This is when Gumbleton will be tested - the CHF spot is likely to be a fight between these two player. However if Hurley remains in the F50, it becomes problematic when trying to squeeze Daniher in, let alone Gumby

Hurley is a good option up forward but for team balance and playing players in their best suited position, he has to go back
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ealesy wrote:One quiet game back and suddenly he is to be banished to the backline.
No, I've been saying it since he started playing forward.

I'd like to know what those who think we can't play Hurley and Gulmbleton because we'd be too tall think should happen in a few years when Daniher is in every week?

robbie67 wrote:Hooker has improved a lot this year. 1.45345781954377664287 contested marks or not.
I never said he hadn't, just that I think Hurley would be much better back there.
Sismis wrote:Stat contradicts your opinion, must be irrelevant.
I was trying to get a rise out of Gimps, not you. But stats have limited usefulness in football.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I have a feeling that the are going to wait with Daniher and are maybe grooming into a ruckman to combine with Ryder and TB...

Hille will retire this year and I have a feeling that Fletch will too...no inside information, just a feeling I have...

Therefore, my personal preference is to have:
Gumby and Crammers up forward with one of the resting rucks...
Hurley and Hooker down back with Carlisle to replace the role of Fletch

If we have injuries, we have enough to cover with Paddy also able to play Key Back and Hurley able to go up forward...

Also, the sub MUST be a player that can run and break lines...I don't care if we lose the hit outs, but if we have no run, we are f***** regardless...
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Looks like a strong "Hurley to Defence" movement is forming
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Hurley may be good as a forward but he is not great - conversely, while Gumbleton is putrid below his knees, Hurley is almost as bad when it comes to marking - surely a must have skill for a key forward

This is a really good point, JockStraps. If only we could get a combination of the two - able to take a mark but also able to crumb - and we would have an absolute superstar in the making. Crameri at times shows the ability to do both (above his head and below his knees), but he does seem to get injured fairly easily and therefore has trouble stringing together consistent games (or even quarters, sometimes).

My overall feeling at the moment is that defence is going well, with the emergence of Carlisle and Hibbered in particular. Midfield is going well, with the addition of Goddard and the development of Myers and Howlett. The one area that still isn't quite right is the forward line: play Hurley or not? bring in Joe or not? resting ruckman? Winderlich? Davey? So many questions still to be answered here!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

One issue I have at times with the forward line is the spread. Too often they lead to one side close to the boundary, almost enmasse. This happened time and again v Geelong. That setup enables a back line to bottle up their defensive zone too easily.

It's like the only option is to aim for the talls and everyone else tags along hoping for crumbs. That in itself is good, but some separation of the talls might be an idea.

A true spread allows an open forward line, maybe Hurley one way, Gumby the other or back in the square. They take their own crumbers... who will have more space and time.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

F111 wrote:One issue I have at times with the forward line is the spread. Too often they lead to one side close to the boundary, almost enmasse. This happened time and again v Geelong. That setup enables a back line to bottle up their defensive zone too easily.

It's like the only option is to aim for the talls and everyone else tags along hoping for crumbs. That in itself is good, but some separation of the talls might be an idea.

A true spread allows an open forward line, maybe Hurley one way, Gumby the other or back in the square. They take their own crumbers... who will have more space and time.
Yeah, that really gave me the shits. The one area we could really test Geelong was with height in the F50 & we preferred to kick to the boundary. May as well have kept Gus with that sort of crap.