Solly showing a bit at Freo...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Here here Ealsy!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

ealesy wrote:Solly a leader of the club????

I'm sorry but that statement is f****** ludricous!!!!

The trip to Japan in the 2004 preseason that the leadership group went on, every single other player told Solly that they were sick and f****** tired of him giving away stupid free kicks and 50m penalties that it cost the team and robbed his team-mates of morale.

Solyl said at the time that this was a real-opener for him and he was really going to harnass his aggressiveness and just go hard at the man with the ball from now one, and cut out the cheap and late hits!!!

What happens 2005 & 2006, same if not worse pissweak, footy.

Solly reminds me off a ling from the usual suspects: "the greatest feat the devil ever achieved was to make the world believe he did exist."

The greatest feat Dean Solomon ever achieved was to make people think he was a hardnut.

An expert at cheap and late shots and bashing blokes 10kg less than himself while never getting within an inch of going at someone his own size or bigger unless it was a cheap or late shot!!!

Piss poor effort from a SENIOR player and just showed he had no desire or right to be consider a LEADER at the club. We had a bunch of young kids out there last year busting there arses off each and everyweek doing everything they could to win us some games and meanwhile you had a bloke like Solly playing shit footy and further hurting the team by still giving away stupid ill-disiplined free kicks and 50s.

No great loss, even if he does recapture his best form, at least Bacher Houli (who we got with one of the picks we got for Solly) has a far better attitude and more potential than Solly ever did!!
This is a mixture of truth and crap.

Comments on Solly over his performance the past two years are justifiable in terms of his lack of leadership and discipline. Most fair minded people would have to agree that he failed in so many areas at a time when the club needed him to stand up and show the young blokes what to do and how to do it.

I just don't get how people forget how good a player he was before that. I've managed to watch a heap of games over the years that he played in and I've never thought of him as a cheap shot merchant. Players stood taller when the likes of Solly, Hardwick and Mark Johnson were around in the early 2000's.

Sure, he's no longer a bomber player but before you knock his whole career, try and remember that he apart from the past few years, he played a lot of very good games for us.

And as for the comparison with Houli...I'll think it's a fair call AFTER Houli plays 100+ games and is a premiership player. At this stage, he has achieved nothing!
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Sure, he's no longer a bomber player but before you knock his whole career, try and remember that he apart from the past few years, he played a lot of very good games for us.

And as for the comparison with Houli...I'll think it's a fair call AFTER Houli plays 100+ games and is a premiership player. At this stage, he has achieved nothing!
Well said.

Everyone is up in arms when something is said about Bradley(who still has done nothing), or Bolton, or Henno etc...But when it comes to Solly(someone who actually done quite well for the club) he gets bagged and pulled down.

Solly is a genuinely hard player. Even Hirdy said he walked a little taller when Solly was out there. Solly probaby doesnt try and rough up or intimidate players like Hall etc because their not the type of players who will get intimidated, he would be wasting his time.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Well said.

Everyone is up in arms when something is said about Bradley(who still has done nothing), or Bolton, or Henno etc...But when it comes to Solly(someone who actually done quite well for the club) he gets bagged and pulled down.

Solly is a genuinely hard player. Even Hirdy said he walked a little taller when Solly was out there. Solly probaby doesnt try and rough up or intimidate players like Hall etc because their not the type of players who will get intimidated, he would be wasting his time.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Think some of us are being a bit harsh on Solly, he was always well respected at the club whilst he was there, there's no need to start getting the silverware out and aiming for the back now...

What are cheap shots now were considered fair and hard a few years ago.

Onya Solly. As a defender I respected you, as a leader I did not. Good luck to him at Freo... as long as we cane 'em everytime we meet, I'm happy.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.