List Assessment (so far in 2015)

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: List Assessment (so far in 2015)

Post by paddyl90 »

No worries BD. I've become a lot more critical in my old age ;)

The VFL games are great to get along to, to see who's looking to come into the team. No one has really made a case at this stage but bloody work has me missing games next little while.

This list has the potential to be great, but just needs the right tweaks in recruiting and obviously effort / game plan from the team.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Gimps wrote:
grassy1 wrote:Oh yeah Donnie,at every turn you disagree with me,you Pain in the Arse. :roll:

A lot of the current group don't stack up in your eyes,that's fair enough.

But until season's end,we are stuck with them.Any suggestions from you that might help make them a better team?
Replace them with robots?
They're already playing like robots!! Seems to be half the problem with them.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

That's how the Germans play at the World Cup.It's won 'em 4 World Cups.

Methodical,workhorses,relentless,ruthless machines.

Prefer Jogo Bonito despite the 7 - 1 Flogging they gave my lot,but I digress,...
Last edited by grassy1 on Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Pretty much agree with both JP and BD.
Special mentions.....

2. Tom Bellchambers - very poor and needs to go back to VFL to find form
5. Brent Stanton - I'm one of his fans, but I confess it is hard to see what he gives the team. My only defence is that if the team were playing at their best, he'd improve too - it's the running he does to put him in position IF everyone else plays their role.
6. Joe Daniher - he's coming along, but needs to work on playing in front.
9. Brendan Goddard - not up the usual high standard, but I think that's also a "Stanton scenario" - he'd be better if the team were.
10. Nick O'Brien - Nick who? Forget him..
14. Jason Ashby - a skinny trier. Happy to give him more time to show something.
15. Courtenay Dempsey - I think it was early last season people here said he was too soft. I've seen lots of hard attacks on the ball late last year and this year so far, big improvement. Now just get your disposal improved a little too please.
16. Tayte Pears - seems to be going OK in VFL as a forward, but is there a spot in AFL for him?? Maybe replace Ambrose?
18. Michael Hurley - going to defence has been the making of him.
20. Jackson Merrett - seems to be going nowhere, and doesn't get the ball enough.
22. Jake Carlisle - not easy for any of our forwards with the delivery they get. Jake needs to be leading up to the ball and have it kicked to his advantage for us to see his best. It's not a big ask, surely.
27. Jonathan Giles - give him a go, can't do any worse than TBC so far.
28. Elliott Kavanagh - never gonna make it.
29. Patrick Ambrose - last couple of weeks have been better, but as a forward he isn't going to scare any defences.
30. Kyle Langford - let's see him after another pre-season or 2.
35. Martin Gleeson - not sure he has the body for defence. Might be useful up forward with his skill and smarts.
38. Nick Kommer - like Ambrose he just doesn't get enough of it to hurt anyone.
40. Ben Howlett - is missing Hocking and Myers more than any of us - he aint big enough to be at the bottom of every pack.
41. Will Hams - give him more time, and fingers crossed he isn't another guy who looks good at VFL level but can't cut it AFL level.
46. Orazio Fantasia - at AFL level hasn't done anything to think he's gonna make it.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote:That's how the Germans play at the World Cup.It's won 'em 4 World Cups.

Methodical,workhorses,relentless,ruthless machines.

Prefer Jogo Bonito despite the 7 - 1 Flogging they gave my lit,but I digress,...
Well, I guess our robots are programmed differently then!!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gwilt has been good.

Any other assessment is off the mark
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Opinion divided on Gwilty by the looks of it.I think he has something to offer,but haven't seen enough of it.

Furthermore,he houldn't be playing Ressies in that case,but read somewhere,his attitude there was at least admirable,not self indulgent.
Last edited by grassy1 on Thu May 21, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Didn't you hear Hirdy say Kommer is back on the track on Tuesday night Paddy?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

JP_40 wrote:No worries BD. I've become a lot more critical in my old age ;)

The VFL games are great to get along to, to see who's looking to come into the team. No one has really made a case at this stage but bloody work has me missing games next little while.

This list has the potential to be great, but just needs the right tweaks in recruiting and obviously effort / game plan from the team.
I think we need to remember how well we performed in the first couple of weeks. The last three have been bad but I was actually impressed with how they bounced back against the roos. We were moving the ball faster and taking more risks.

We need to get tougher over the ball, something we have been good at over the last couple of years and we need to work on our f****** delivery into the forward 50!
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Reading it in black and white, I pretty much agree with what's been said, the question is, how the bloody hell are we, where we are on the ladder??
With only about half a dozen players playing anywhere near what they can do, its incredible we're not down nearer the bottom.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

boncer34 wrote:Didn't you hear Hirdy say Kommer is back on the track on Tuesday night Paddy?
I did but we have heard that before. Just feel like his body hates him. Hope I'm wrong

And nah based on what I've seen Gwilt has been poor.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Someone tell Nick,that'll make Bob,Sam and Andy at East Perth,happy chappies.Be seeing the 1st at the State Game,Saturday.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

JP_40 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Didn't you hear Hirdy say Kommer is back on the track on Tuesday night Paddy?
I did but we have heard that before. Just feel like his body hates him. Hope I'm wrong

Gwilt has been good I reckon. Worth preservering with when the circumstances are right.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

JP_40 wrote:

True.

But I had a chat and he said he feels like they've finally solved his issues.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Trust me I want him to be good. I didn't believe he would be when we drafted him, then over the pre-season it was Gwilt stand out. Come game time....I've seen nothing. Please prove me wrong.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Gwilt has been solid when in the side.

While Kommer's pressure is good he doesn't get enough of the ball to be dangerous much like Ambrose.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robrulz5 wrote:Great assessment BD. I'd like to see some hard decisions made at seasons end regarding players who have been at the club for some time without playing much at all or not contributing when in the side. We can't afford to keep players that Rnent going to contribute.
Indeed. But on the other hand we clearly can't afford to keep the players that are currently taking us nowhere.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:The last three have been bad but I was actually impressed with how they bounced back against the roos. We were moving the ball faster and taking more risks.
Agree. I thought we probably over-adjusted (if that's a thing) last week and played on a little too often. Sometimes there was nothing ahead and it was reminding me of the Knights era. Hopefully we'll be better again this week.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Thoughts on a couple of players.

Ambrose was better last week I thought, at least early on. He seemed to get a bit more of the ball and kicked a couple of goals (I think). Hopefully with Carlisle back he can continue to improve. Great tackling from a big forward, but needs to do more each week IMO.

Gwilt is seriously f****** slow and not really tall enough to be relied upon if the other team plays two tall forward and two ruckmen or whatever. I think he's been solid in the two games he played, but I'm glad they seem to not want to play him when Fletcher's fit. I'd rather give Steinberg another run or even Pears. Yeah, I went there.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Our VFL form has been much better the past few weeks so I think a few players are starting to realize it's make or break time for them

These players are out of contract currently at seasons end...

Baguley
TB (restricted FA)
Browne
Buckets
Chappy
Dalgliesh
Daniher
Demps (FA)
Fantasia
Fletch
Hams
Kavanagh