The fish rots from the head....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: The fish rots from the head....

Post by Windy_Hill »

1) Injuries to key players hurt us more than most other teams - especially if they are midfielders as we have no depth whatsoever - so Im prepared to cut the team somne slack with the likes of Watson, Myers, Zaharakis and even Buddah being either out injured or playing injured. Wont make us world beaters but surely cant hurt

2) Coaching - I truly think Hirdy is lost in the role at the moment - the coaching from the sideline thing - if it was all that effective then why isnt every coach standing down on the sidelines. I would prefer to see Mark Harvey down with the players giving them a rev up and Hird up in the box calling the shots. I dont think Hird is a bad coach - but I agree with some others who state that he is too conservative and perhaps a little over protective of the playing group. I think it was Billy Beane the iconic GM of the Oakland A's who said he never got close to the players coz sooner or later he would be sacking them.

3) Administration - really cant comment because the clubs Supplement Saga overshadows everything. However, you would have to say that we have perhaps the best training facilities in the league and an exceptionally well resourced back of house operation. Cash flow is good, membership is at all time highs. My question is the CV's of so many staff in the football department. A lot of recycled coaches that maybe lack new ideas?? Recruiting still irks me and seems to be a genuine weakness of the club. We also lack a long term vision and understanding of where the club needs to go in terms of trading and list management. You have to be brave and be prepared to trade in good currency to fill holes where they need filling.

For example, with Hooker, Hurley, Gwilt, Carlisile and even Pears - we have 2 too many Key defenders. Yet our midfield has no grunt at all. SUrely sacrificing one or two of these guys to grab a key midfielder is the best mid term strategy. Letting go only hurts if you get nothing in return
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Our defenders have been great. Our midfielders have been getting the ball to the forward zone.

We've missed simple shots on goal. Our forwards play from behind too much. Occasionally the ball isn't kicked with enough penetration and they do a Hooker on us. Taylor was their main man last night. JD has started to play more in front and has been getting his hands on it. If he'd've kicked 2.2 or 3.1 in Q1 I wonder how the game might've evolved?

Our forwards seem to frequently try for the mark from behind. Carlisle's main weapons are his bucket hands. He tries to use them, but he'd be better off on the lead. Unfortunately, he tends to lumber along and doesn't have a burst of pace. LIoyd, Hurls, Daniher were/are able to do that. We miss Myers who can kick with penetration, and we've seen Cooney do it when he has space. That tactic has not been working.

Their spread is frequently to the pockets but sometimes it's altogether. Spread in different directions and provide alternative targets. Put pressure on the opposition backline and make it hard for them.

Putting a score on the board is clearly a no brainer issue. Because we miss the opportunities, keeping the thing in our half becomes the next issue. One leads to the other.

There's more to it of course as great footy is played between the ears, but there are some fundamentals that junior footballers get drilled into them that aren't happening.

Toll took 7 days to deliver something 200kms from Geelong to a friend of mine. He had to chase them and they "found" his stuff locally. It still took another 36 hours to get it.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:Once Mysey, Hocky, Zaky, Kommy, Browney are back, we'll be top 4 material.
Mate, as the commentators said last night, could bring in Coleman, Van Der Haar and T.Watson and it still wouldn't have made f*** all difference...what was served up last night was worse than pathetic and was downright disappointing...
I don't think it's the worst side on paper, but on performances since round 2, it is definitely a close call now...
What gets me is the forwards and mids complete failure to man up and defend and work both ways as if their lives depend on it...butchering the ball doesn't help, however, the amount of space and time Geelong had was ridiculous...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gyoza wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
kelvin_sheedy wrote:Lol. I've worked for Toll. Most of the senior management are underperformed hacks.

They just sold the company to a japanese firm because they cant grow or cut it anymore. Every attempt to grow overseas has failed dismally. Share price was dropping and now they've saved their bacon by selling and crucifying a lot of their Australian workforce.
So you're saying, potentially, we could have a Japanese coach next year...

8)
Found him!
http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/11/05/th ... -in-japan/
Like the sound of this! Although, I did get a flashback when I read the word "bullish" lol #-o
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D>
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I think you spelt it wrong Gyoza...should it be Go Boombers? :wink:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Great team song!

=D> :lol:
Essendunny
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I really thing so
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Gyoza wrote:Image
Stuff that - I had enough of Kamakazi footy under knights
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

MH_Bomber wrote:I think we are now realising our worst fears about the effect of the ASADA/WADA saga. Players that were capable are now not capable. Can someone tell me what has happened to Goddard's disposal?

I am holding out a thin hope that someone at WADA has a look at the complete lack of evidence and just pulls the pin on pursuing the case. When we were exonerated the players played fantastically despite not being match fit. As soon as that decision was brought down by WADA we have been rubbish apart from patches as in the North game and Brisbane didnt show up.

What I am worrying about is how we attract any decent new recruits with this hanging over us.
If Goddard has dropped because he's worried about WADA he's soft as butter.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
MH_Bomber wrote:I think we are now realising our worst fears about the effect of the ASADA/WADA saga. Players that were capable are now not capable. Can someone tell me what has happened to Goddard's disposal?

I am holding out a thin hope that someone at WADA has a look at the complete lack of evidence and just pulls the pin on pursuing the case. When we were exonerated the players played fantastically despite not being match fit. As soon as that decision was brought down by WADA we have been rubbish apart from patches as in the North game and Brisbane didnt show up.

What I am worrying about is how we attract any decent new recruits with this hanging over us.
If Goddard has dropped because he's worried about WADA he's soft as butter.
Why would Goddard be worried about WADA?
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I am just saying his disposal has gone to sh-ite not that he was involved in the ASAGA incident.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Flip wrote:....or so said Watson the Elder.

I will be interested to see the reaction from Paul Little in the short term. He took Toll from just another Transport & Logistics Entity into a multi-billion dollar company and became a billionaire himself.

He didn't do it by playing Mr Nice Guy.

Our magnificent Footy Club is clearly in a mess. You don't go from playing Footy like in Rs 1-2 to last night for no reason. Yes WADA is/was unhelpful but the insipidness last night defies logic. Having lost Crameri and Ryder, I can easily see Jake Carlisle already dreaming of a juicy contract in more peaceful surrounds and maybe others.

Perhaps the guys see WADA and then look around and the only one left standing is James.

So what does James do? Just looks glum with either folded arms or hand on chin. I have had doubts of his coaching "ability" but these past 7 weeks have confirmed in my mind he cannot Coach.

He neither inspires, nor is tactically sound match day. He is Conservative beyond belief. He lacks the aura that coaches we have had in the past that say follow me and the troops do. He has lost this group big time.

We need a new Coach untainted by 2013-15.....unjustly or not, but the Club is bigger than the individual.

Perhaps this chap: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... hi6et.html

In any even it will be interesting to see what Mr Little does. If Hird was a Senior Manager at Toll, do you think he would have a job on Monday?

James needs to move for the sake of the EFC. He should afforded the dignity his legacy deserves and be persuaded to resign on his terms. And probably a couple of his middle managers should Google SEEK.

Similarly the same with Chappy; he deserves to retire with dignity, not played out in a rapacious Media. Maybe Fletch too? Maybe straight to Backline Coach? Dunno.....just thinking what Little would do given a free hand as CEO and Chairman at TOLL.

And just games into the kids.....find out who can play like young Orazio last night.....build from a position of strength with a core of top players we have.

Shove Conservatism up your couta and just SO SOMETHING.

Whatever, sitting on your hands is not a option. JUST DO IT PAUL!!
You are entitled to your opinion and so I am. That's just crap. No one could coach this group atm, they are spent. (with tongue in cheek>) I reckon we should play most of the two's in the AFL for the rest of the year just to stick it up the AFL. Have a clean out at the end of the year and draft some good draft picks. Tank we don't have to tank - our players could be on r and r.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

Sheesh....MDSO who said you aren't. FFS.

I thought you one of the more sane ones hereabouts. :(

Although I like the idea of just playing the 2's ..... f**k them all to hell.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Now that we know the fish rots at the head, do you reckon we should offer CASA a bribe???? Joke I'm only joking.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

mdso wrote:Now that we know the fish rots at the head, do you reckon we should offer CASA a bribe???? Joke I'm only joking.
Is the Civil Avaiation Safety Authority investigating us as well? FMD, what next? I know we have a plane as our logo, but this is utter bullshit!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:
mdso wrote:Now that we know the fish rots at the head, do you reckon we should offer CASA a bribe???? Joke I'm only joking.
Is the Civil Avaiation Safety Authority investigating us as well? FMD, what next? I know we have a plane as our logo, but this is utter bullshit!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Careful BD, Dick Smith will chip in with his 2c worth and become the clubs newest sponsor - welcome to Aussie Bombers :wink:
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

BenDoolan wrote:

hahaha
Apparently the club is simply refusing to pick up the phone when Gillian Triggs calls at the moment. Stand by.
Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives