Hooksey and Buckets

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Re: Hooksey and Buckets

Post by DC2 »

Gimps wrote:Pears played well, down back, in the 2's on the weekend. Surely he could replace Steinlager this week?
I always wonder how Steinberg gets a gig ahead of pears. if hes still on the list give him a crack. he has showed he can play and his best is better than Steinberg.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

DC2 wrote:
Gimps wrote:Pears played well, down back, in the 2's on the weekend. Surely he could replace Steinlager this week?
I always wonder how Steinberg gets a gig ahead of pears. if hes still on the list give him a crack. he has showed he can play and his best is better than Steinberg.
Three words
Favourites
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Steinberg has unfortunately been mismatched with talls that Fletcher might otherwise had taken, eg Brown from Norf and Ryder last weekend. Both well exploited by the opposition. He wasn't to bad in that circumstance for 3 quarters last weekend.

He's been able to get his hands on the ball, and occasionally butchered the delivery, but that aspect has improved.

Pears has been overlooked and pillaged forever in this and other forums. I too would like to see how he goes now though, because before all his nasty injuries he was looking like a future champion.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

F111 wrote:Steinberg has unfortunately been mismatched with talls that Fletcher might otherwise had taken, eg Brown from Norf and Ryder last weekend. Both well exploited by the opposition. He wasn't to bad in that circumstance for 3 quarters last weekend.

He's been able to get his hands on the ball, and occasionally butchered the delivery, but that aspect has improved.

Pears has been overlooked and pillaged forever in this and other forums. I too would like to see how he goes now though, because before all his nasty injuries he was looking like a future champion.
The last memory I have of Pears playing in the Seniors was him getting absolutely destroyed by Jeremy Cameron, in a game which the Giants lead for a large amount of the game and got very close to beating us despite still being fairly rubbish at that point in time.

Unfortunately, it is long way away from the memories I have of him lighting it up in 2009 and making me laugh about the fact that Richmond took Alex Rance at 18 when they could have had Pears who looked a far superior player at that point in their careers.

Yet another example of the damage long term injury problems preventing a bloke from playing at any level and having the game and the developments in the game pass them by while they are on the sidelines, joins the likes of Johns and Gumbleton for us.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Yep I thought this also, or maybe for Gwilt, who's been pretty good recently, but still makes some horrible mistakes.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:Totally agree, Hooker is a monster. Even two on one he is making a lot of the contests a 50/50. Defenders are absolutely shitting themselves when the ball is coming in to him at the top of the square.
I think sometimes he goes for marks too often in defence, when a punch is the safer option, but he still rarely got outmarked and that practice will be (is) great for his forward line work.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

DC2 wrote:
Pears hasn't been at his best for years and that's sad because he had so much potential. His body let him down. Mark3 Gumby model.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

mdso wrote:
DC2 wrote:
Pears hasn't been at his best for years and that's sad because he had so much potential. His body let him down. Mark3 Gumby model.
Watch him in the ANZAC comeback game, he was a titan in defense that day!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I cannot see the point of hanging on to Pears if we won't give him a game in the Ones.
Everyone including the bootstudder is getting a run at the moment, (except Giles for some reason) so with all the current experimentation, FFS give him a run.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark