2017 Fixture

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: 2017 Fixture

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/swans.html#0a

8th table down says since 97 ;).

We go North more then others because we boost crowd figures in the non traditional markets.
The sample is too big. You need to break it down by decade. I'll wear that we drew more crowds up in Sydney because we were great in the 90's to early 2000's. It would stand to reason why we'd play more games up there in that period. But the last decade has been scheizenhausen, and so have our crowds up in Sydney compared to others.

I just checked Geelong's last 10 years up there and they've averaged a crowd of 32.8K compared to our 29.4K. So that's another club to add to Collingwood and West Coast above us. I'll keep checking...
:lol: Benny that sample isn't to big as it demonstrates what happens when teams are flying AND when they're down.

Last 10 years Geelong have had huge bandwagon fans and they only get 3k more? :Lol: You've just cherry picked their most successful period and they've barely beaten us.

Mate you do realize you're making the argument we aren't one of the biggest clubs in Australia here?
LOL, you obviously don't like the grouped samples and actual figures.

The last 10 matches (years) we've played in Sydney, we've averaged 29.4K. Hardly "big club" boasting rights. In that same period, other clubs have averaged greater numbers. I'll even throw a really "small club" figures in for you and show you there's stuff all difference (to use your point above) between a "really big club" as opposed to a "really small club". The Western Bulldogs have averaged 27.2K in the 5 matches in 10 years. Now you would hardly hang your hat on the reason for playing Essendon every f****** year just for a 2K difference from a "really big club" and a "really small club" would you?

Now that the "really small club" has just won the flag, it's fair to say they can start stepping up and play more in Sydney so they can "boost the numbers". I'm tipping they'd attract more of a crowd than we would.

Sorry to make sense, but it has to be said.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

And you don't like my period. :lol:

And you haven't actually made a sensible argument mate, you've cherry picked the most successful period of a club where they've averaged 3k more then claimed a gap of 2k the other way isn't that big.

We're a big club. We have drawing power.

Its how we get 2 Friday nights despite finishing stone cold last.

I seriously can't believe I'm having to make the argument that we're a big club on here but obviously you have your views and I have mine. I'll leave it be.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:And you don't like my period. :lol:

And you haven't actually made a sensible argument mate, you've cherry picked the most successful period of a club where they've averaged 3k more then claimed a gap of 2k the other way isn't that big.

I seriously can't believe I'm having to make the argument that we're a big club on here but obviously you have your views and I have mine. I'll leave it be.
Cherry picking clubs in their most successful period (as in the current period) is the logical thing to do. Because if it's about crowd drawing power, then you use those clubs to play up there to do just that. It doesn't make sense to still use US as their crowd drawing power when we're in our worst period ever. So when we eventually crawl back up the top, we'll STILL see the lopsided fixturing because we'll be back to our crowd drawing best. Then we'll probably see the stat that shows we've played them up there 24 times in the last 25 years while they've been down here 8 times...and so it goooooeeeeeeeees

You pitching for a job in AFL House?
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:

Cherry picking clubs in their most successful period (as in the current period) is the logical thing to do. Because if it's about crowd drawing power, then you use those clubs to play up there to do just that. It doesn't make sense to still use US as their crowd drawing power when we're in our worst period ever. So when we eventually crawl back up the top, we'll STILL see the lopsided fixturing because we'll be back to our crowd drawing best. Then we'll probably see the stat that shows we've played them up there 24 times in the last 25 years while they've been down here 8 times...and so it goooooeeeeeeeees

It does make sense when we're in our worst period ever and still out drawing most clubs and only 3k behind one of the leagues current powerhouses.

I'm not pitching anything mate, its a well known fact we're a big club. As a result of that we go to the northern states.

Pretty simple logic that you're refuting for reasons that don't make sense to me.

I'm not saying we shouldn't play them down here, we should and a lot more then we have. But from a commercial sense it makes sense for us to play them up there.

Which you'll see this season when we are, again, in the top handful of clubs attendance wise.

But as I sad mate I'm happy to agree to disagree.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

It does make sense when we're in our worst period ever and still out drawing most clubs and only 3k behind one of the leagues current powerhouses.

I'm not pitching anything mate, its a well known fact we're a big club. As a result of that we go to the northern states.

Pretty simple logic that you're refuting for reasons that don't make sense to me.

I'm not saying we shouldn't play them down here, we should and a lot more then we have. But from a commercial sense it makes sense for us to play them up there.

Which you'll see this season when we are, again, in the top handful of clubs attendance wise.

But as I sad mate I'm happy to agree to disagree.
That's the crux of the argument. There is no justification on the discrepancy of 11 games in Sydney to 5 in Melbourne in a 12 year period (soon to be 12 to 5 in a 13 year period). Saying we are a big club and then displaying crowd numbers not big in comparison doesn't make sense to that discrepancy.

By the way, I agree with you
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Which part of "Do not change the starting time of the Granny" does fuckingGil not understand.

Being "here" for the fans actually means listening to them.

.........and who gives a flyingfuck whether the pre match entertainment will be enhanced with a twilight start.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

I'm over the moon with our draw, the best we have had in a long time! Doesn't really both me playing Sydney up there again, will be hard to beat them so I'd prefer more winnable games down here anyway.

the only downside I can see is now we have absolutely no excuse not to make the 8.... first half of the year id expect us to bubble around 8th but then once we learn how to play together again properly id like to see us rise to 5-6th
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Anyone from here planning on going to the first game at the G and the march? I'm thinking I may drive down.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

mdso wrote:Anyone from here planning on going to the first game at the G and the march? I'm thinking I may drive down.
I'm in
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

rockhole wrote:Which part of "Do not change the starting time of the Granny" does fuckingGil not understand.

.........and who gives a flyingfuck whether the pre match entertainment will be enhanced with a twilight start.

Agree Rock,but they're a Law unto themselves mate. :evil:

Talk more later,but I'm watching the 6th at Fleminton now.The Myer Classic.What's Joao on? :D
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

hop wrote:
mdso wrote:Anyone from here planning on going to the first game at the G and the march? I'm thinking I may drive down.
I'm in
Me too but planning to make a big day of it so may be more of a stagger than a march. :D
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'll be at the game.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

rockhole wrote:Which part of "Do not change the starting time of the Granny" does fuckingGil not understand.

=D> The AFL don't give a shit what we think.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:
I'll be at the game.
I'd probably have to be dead to miss this one.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Gimps wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
I'll be at the game.
Even if you don't get the corporate box?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:
Gimps wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
I'll be at the game.
Even if you don't get the corporate box?
I'm a shoe-in. But would probably prefer to sit in my reserved seat.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Where do Bombers supporters usually gather at the G? Where are the best seats to sit with like minded supporters?
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

mdso wrote:Where do Bombers supporters usually gather at the G? Where are the best seats to sit with like minded supporters?
Seats???> What are they???
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

mdso wrote:Where do Bombers supporters usually gather at the G? Where are the best seats to sit with like minded supporters?
See if you can get an outer seat GSS aisle one or two, about 3/4 back. :)
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

No Sunday twilight games and I'm happy.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.