Who you would expect to come in when fit?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Isn't it great to be debating how to make room for people? Selection pressure is one of the best things that can happen to a team.
(Hope we're still saying this later in the season)
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Gatsid wrote:
Pazza wrote:Hypothetical - say Bolton has a couple of good games at Bendigo - do we bring him in as a reward or not.
not, you dont just reward a good game in the two's, otherwise reynolds would have been in every second week whilst he was on our list. Sadly bolton is not in our best 22, he's a great bloke but probably not in our best 26 therefore in order for him to get a spot we have to have injuries/suspensions simply because he isn't good enough to warrant a spot ahead of other fit players.
Now see..I said a couple of good games - not just the one (I note today he kicked 3 goals in a half of footy for Bendigo after starting @ CHB).

See that's how Essendon worked up until quite recently - if you played well in the seconds, you'd get a few games in the firsts, whilst resting others. Gawd - I can remember blokes like Chris Waterson and Michael Thomson (even Stephen Carey) getting game time for the effort they put in away from the senior side. Nothing wrong with dangling the carrot.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Pazza wrote:
I can remember blokes like Chris Waterson and Michael Thomson (even Stephen Carey) getting game time for the effort they put in away from the senior side. Nothing wrong with dangling the carrot.
Blimey, Waterson and Thomson! It used to annoy me how a bloke by the name of Merv Harbinson would burn the oppostion week after week in the Reserves, but Waterson and Thomson would always get the nod ahead of him...
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Merv Harbinson..my god there's a memory.

Wasn't he a victim of the way too many rovers policy we had (like Tony West) - or even Steven Clark!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Pazza wrote:Merv Harbinson..my god there's a memory.

Wasn't he a victim of the way too many rovers policy we had (like Tony West) - or even Steven Clark!
I think he was a ruck rover type....he was up against it in that department as well! He did manage to play 2 insignificant senior games I think. Great reserves player though!