Expect to see

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Didn't he play in the VFL. Maybe a couple more weeks.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:Re: Carlton - do we have someone to shut down Fevola? If we close him down, half the battle is won. The rest of the game will be won in the middle by the youngsters (theirs versus ours).
That's the difference between last year and this year.

Last year when we played Carlton and lost, we had Reynolds standing Fevola (remember the uproar over that!). Fletcher was a late withdrawal from the team on that fateful day. This year, we've got a choice of Michael or Fletcher, and perhaps even McPhee as a back up if those two get beaten. Also Fevola is playing with a bung knee and is well below his best, which naturally works in our favour.

One more thing RE Fevola. Last year, although Reynolds was never going to be a good option, Fevola probably would've kicked a bag on anyone because as i recall there was absolutely zilch pressure on Carlton's midfielders as they were delivering the ball to him. Reynolds was a sitting duck most of the time and i'm not sure Fletcher could've done much more. This year, based on the first two rounds, we'll apply much more midfield pressure to the Blues which will hopefully stop Carlton's ability to deliver the ball to him exactly as needed.
But he also, he kicked 5 goals in the return match last year - with a busted finger! He also kicked 5 goals in the NAB cup a few weeks ago - with Mal Michael and Fletcher in the team!

He might be a knob, but I reckon he is a top footballer. His efforts last season were outstanding considering their patheticness. He is a thorn in our side, and whoever stands him, will have their hands full.
Yeah i know Benny, but some things to consider:
- In the match we drew with Carlton where Fevola kicked 5 with a broken finger, Fletcher didn't play again. Solomon stood him and was way too slow. So last year we played Fevola twice without Fletcher.
- In the NAB Cup, he got 2 or 3 of his 5 goals from soft free kicks. I didn't think he was all that good.
- His knee is stuffed. For a guy who relies more than anything on his burst of speed off the mark, his knee injury is a big impediment. He injured it in the GF of the NAB Cup, and since then has kicked 3 goals in 2 weeks. I've got no doubt he's well below par with this knee.

I agree he's a good player, but this time i'm confident for the abovementioned reasons that he won't sink us. My major concern is that Fletcher picked up some sort of leg injury in the 3rd quarter of yesterday's match and Fletch sometimes struggles with those sorts of niggles, so it's imperative that he gets himself right to play by Saturday.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

There is also the fact that we had more scoring options up forward, more importantly. All we have to do is virtually shut down Fevola, but they have to worry about Lloyd, Lucas, Laycock, McVeigh, Davey, Lovett and perhaps Hird...
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:There is also the fact that we had more scoring options up forward, more importantly. All we have to do is virtually shut down Fevola, but they have to worry about Lloyd, Lucas, Laycock, McVeigh, Davey, Lovett and perhaps Hird...
Precisely. To use inverted logic about the importance of Fevola, you could say that him being such a big factor is actually a negative for the Blues. He kicked eight when we lost to them by 5 goals (with us having massive injury concerns), we drew with him kicking five and then lost by less than a goal with him kicking five again in the NAB Cup. So going on that, if we can restrict him to 6 goals or less, they're f***** :lol:!
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:Re: Carlton - do we have someone to shut down Fevola? If we close him down, half the battle is won. The rest of the game will be won in the middle by the youngsters (theirs versus ours).
That's the difference between last year and this year.

Last year when we played Carlton and lost, we had Reynolds standing Fevola (remember the uproar over that!). Fletcher was a late withdrawal from the team on that fateful day. This year, we've got a choice of Michael or Fletcher, and perhaps even McPhee as a back up if those two get beaten. Also Fevola is playing with a bung knee and is well below his best, which naturally works in our favour.

One more thing RE Fevola. Last year, although Reynolds was never going to be a good option, Fevola probably would've kicked a bag on anyone because as i recall there was absolutely zilch pressure on Carlton's midfielders as they were delivering the ball to him. Reynolds was a sitting duck most of the time and i'm not sure Fletcher could've done much more. This year, based on the first two rounds, we'll apply much more midfield pressure to the Blues which will hopefully stop Carlton's ability to deliver the ball to him exactly as needed.
But he also, he kicked 5 goals in the return match last year - with a busted finger! He also kicked 5 goals in the NAB cup a few weeks ago - with Mal Michael and Fletcher in the team!

He might be a knob, but I reckon he is a top footballer. His efforts last season were outstanding considering their patheticness. He is a thorn in our side, and whoever stands him, will have their hands full.
Ah f*** it!! In the old Federal League he'd wake up after the game after being hit a seagull. 8)

Filthy, I have to ask: Who did you follow/play with in the old Federal League?
The Don
Top Up Player

Re: Expect to see

Post by The Don »

Filthy wrote:
But most of all............BEAT f****** CARLTON.....ITS PAYBACK TIME.
Nice Sentiment Filthy- What about Scott Camporeale, knows most of the Carlton Boys pretty well, he would have to be in contention for selection if fit.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:Played with Parkdale Swooper. :wink:

Two blues? My old man's a life member at Highett, played with them in the 60s. I have some very old pics of me as a toddler in the old style bulldogs jumper :oops:
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:
swooper wrote:

Two blues? My old man's a life member at Highett, played with them in the 60s. I have some very old pics of me as a toddler in the old style bulldogs jumper :oops:
Yep the Dales 2 Blues....Highett was ALWAYS a tough game especially up there. She was the toughest League I played in Swooper!! :wink:
Yeah, judging by some of the stuff I've been told over the years it sounded pretty brutal Filthy...
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Filthy wrote:
swooper wrote:
Filthy wrote:
swooper wrote:

Yep the Dales 2 Blues....Highett was ALWAYS a tough game especially up there. She was the toughest League I played in Swooper!! :wink:
Yeah, judging by some of the stuff I've been told over the years it sounded pretty brutal Filthy...
Yeah it was mate. I had a permanent booking at Sandy Hospital Casualty every Saturday night and my 3 front teeth are somewhere around CHF the City end on Parkdale Oval courtesy of some dog from Chelt....and I was wearing a Boxers mouth guard!! Crowns are so expensive.

And the AFL Maggots would have absolutely shit themselves trying to umpire it!!! :D
Mum recalls a game where dad was carted off with stopmarks on his face while his brother-in-law was trying to break the perps arm over the fencerail!
AS for the AFL Maggots, they would shit themselves even umpiring an Eastern District U/18 game!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Laycock will be a very good player.
Probably would have got a vote if he kicked straight yesterday. His pick ups at hsi ankles were superb and has great mobility.

I reckon the game in the NAB cup will still be in our minds. Carlton couldnt have played better and we have shown that we are playing better, not to mention that Lloyd is starting to get some milage in his legs as is McPhee and Thighs.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

As in Parkdale being next to the highway, what's it called ... Gerry Green Reserve?

I played cricket with Parkdale for a couple of years. :D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Laycock is good around the ground, but i remember what a friend of mine who worked with the essendon reserves at the time said to me. "He can't ruck to save himself". Years later, he still hasn't proved otherwise, as his barely competetive in the ruck, hopefully he actually learns a thing or two about the craft sooner rather than later and he will make a top footballer.
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

Ossie wrote:
As in Parkdale being next to the highway, what's it called ... Gerry Green Reserve?

That would be the one Ossie. I played for Mordialloc in the early 90s. Played some games against Parky and Highett and also Cheltenham. Not sure what the league was called then but it was rough then as well. I think Black Rock was in it as well.

Anyway, Parkdale cricket joined with St John Vianneys and are called Kingston CC. I played with St John Vianneys for about 3 seasons.
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

fordmania wrote:
Ossie wrote:

That would be the one Ossie. I played for Mordialloc in the early 90s. Played some games against Parky and Highett and also Cheltenham. Not sure what the league was called then but it was rough then as well. I think Black Rock was in it as well.

Anyway, Parkdale cricket joined with St John Vianneys and are called Kingston CC. I played with St John Vianneys for about 3 seasons.
Right on. I never played footy for Parkdale - played with Rye in the MPNFL for a season. Mind you, that was fairly rough too. :lol:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.