Groundhog Day, Deja Vu, The Same Shit Again....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jjono
High Draft Pick

Post by jjono »

bomberdonnie wrote:I think we lost a huge last quarter lead to the Dees in the early 90s... Vague memory as a young teenager of it

Don't remember that one bd, but I remember we pinched a game off Melbourne in 1992. We were trailing by around 33pts at 3/4 time, plus the Dees kicked the 1st goal of the last quarter.
I'll stand corrected on the margin at 3/4 time, but the year, the opponents and the fact that they kicked the 1st goal in the final quarter are all correct.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jjono wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:I think we lost a huge last quarter lead to the Dees in the early 90s... Vague memory as a young teenager of it

Don't remember that one bd, but I remember we pinched a game off Melbourne in 1992. We were trailing by around 33pts at 3/4 time, plus the Dees kicked the 1st goal of the last quarter.
I'll stand corrected on the margin at 3/4 time, but the year, the opponents and the fact that they kicked the 1st goal in the final quarter are all correct.
Anzac Day 1992. We were 41 point down at 3Q time and Melbourne kicked the first goal. We ended up winning by a point. Might have to watch that tape again to erase today...
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

BenDoolan wrote:
swooper wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
swooper wrote:Been following Essendon since 1975. If I'm wrong, let me know, but I can't remember coughing up as big a lead over the last 32 years as we did today. Was really hoping the 3 late goals they got in the second qtr was just due to a momentary lapse in intensity by us. Alas...
1991 Elimination Final? We were up a significant margin and then Allen Jakovich pulled his finger out of his ass and kicked 8 goals....
Think we were up by 30-odd in that one. Michael Werner flattened Steven Stretch and it was all downhill from there. Think that may have been the game when the talked back from retirement Shane Heard spent most of the game on A.Jakovich and was stitched right up. MIght have been his last game.
Yep, Shane Heard was killing him up until half time (I think he only kicked the one). After half time it was an avalanche.....
Heard kept Jakovich quiet. Then Heard was shifted off Jakovich after half time. I remember Jakovich being interviewed after the game saying that it was right that Heard was shifted off him.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

dom_105 wrote:
Lloyd is King wrote:Re: that Hird game against WC in 2004, we lead 8.0.48 to 0.0.0 and almost lost.

Today we led by 48 and lost.

I remember being up by about 24 points late in the final term against the Dogs in 2002, and we ended up salvaging a draw after Lloydy kicked a point after the siren. That one sucked.

Today is gonna hurt all week.
Remember it well, both Hirdy's and Lloydy's first games back after Lloyd's finger tendon injury and Hird smashed his face in at Subi.

Thought he kicked it myself, so i was celebrating until i realised he missed. That wasn't nice
It was still a handy point worth celebrating!
bombers_rock
High Draft Pick

Post by bombers_rock »

F***ed up yet again - same sh*t, different year. The look on every single Bomber fans face as I trudged outa the 'G yesterday told the story, no words were needed. To listen to the scum fans belting out their song when it so easily should've been us was horrible - and due to the crowd, getting out was slow, which just made things so much worse.

Stupid thing is, we'll probably kick their asses later in the year. It'll be 1-1 and we'll probably be top 8, they'll be bottom 8. Or let's hope so. Can't we just beat them twice in a season again? They've got the wood over us, and they're absolute crap. It's about time the Bombers turned the tables back to the way it was and SHOULD be.

I just hope it was just another Essendon-Carlton close one (could've gone either way in the end) and isn't the crap we were subjected to last season coming back again. Back on track against the Saints next week Bombers!!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

dom_105 wrote:

I can't remember off the top of my head when we actually beat Carlton last. It's that bad. Maybe when the siren was busted that day....

We beat them by 99 points towards the end of 2005. We should have beaten them by around the same margin on Saturday.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

robrulz5 wrote:
dom_105 wrote:

I can't remember off the top of my head when we actually beat Carlton last. It's that bad. Maybe when the siren was busted that day....

We beat them by 99 points towards the end of 2005. We should have beaten them by around the same margin on Saturday.
Bingo, thats right. That was round 22 by memory.