Watson and Pev

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

keri wrote:I hate people who go to the football and sit there and bag the living hell out of their team. I mean why pay for a membership and then turn up and just give them shit? It makes no sense to me. I mean if you hate Essendon so much, why not just go and buy a Collingwood membership and have done with?
I have had more verbal run ins with our own supporters than I do with the oppositions. And I'm serious.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

This thread is so stupid it barely deserves comment.

By anyone's estimations, Peverill was in the best 3 players on the ground. He was outstanding.

I also can't get over the Watson-bagging in this thread. He did have a couple of clangers by foot (and I cringed badly when he got it as well) but he also had 25 possessions, including 11 contested possessions and 6 clearances. Far from our worst, surely!

The guy's kicking confidence is down. That's bad. He's also probably our best in and under midfielder, and finished very high in our B&F last year. For f**ks sake, you people should all give him a break.

I think a few people on this forum should actually think about things a little more before they post.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Was listening on the radio and you would have thought there were 2 Peverills on the ground!!! His clearances after half time out of the centre square were excellent!

Has been rejuvinated after a solid finish to last year and will be important again against Collingwood (should get Swan!).
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Got a lot of it and good on him, but the fact remains that his kicking was very bad. A few went 10-20 metres from the target and then he kicked one that went closer to the target and I said to my brother "thank god, abuot time" but it went over the Essendon players head and the St K defender to an uncontested mark.

I'm not bagging his toughness or ball finding ability, but his disposal does let him down too often. I feel he often handpasses to someone who is under just as much pressure as he is and why does he keep running around in circles? I reckon he's done it at least once a game this year. If you get stuck, bomb it long to Lucas and Lloyd!

And Watson's kicking is beyond a joke. He is being paid 10s of thousands of dollars a year to play FOOTball. Even his handpassing was ordinary on Saturday, he is best when he doesn't have time to think about it, like when he wins the clearance and just gives off the quick hands.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

BenDoolan wrote:
keri wrote:I hate people who go to the football and sit there and bag the living hell out of their team. I mean why pay for a membership and then turn up and just give them shit? It makes no sense to me. I mean if you hate Essendon so much, why not just go and buy a Collingwood membership and have done with?
I have had more verbal run ins with our own supporters than I do with the oppositions. And I'm serious.
I think keri, its by supporters who really love the team rather than the player.

everyone wants to see our best side out on the park.

i'm sure its not meant to be personal, but ends up that way.

I think with Jobe, fans(myself included) want to see him be an absolute gun, rather than just a good player. its probably because we carry memories of Tim...who knows.

No one likes too see consistent clangers and the commentators of the game on the telly have picked up on it too.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

BenDoolan wrote:
I think keri, its by supporters who really love the team rather than the player.

everyone wants to see our best side out on the park.

i'm sure its not meant to be personal, but ends up that way.

I think with Jobe, fans(myself included) want to see him be an absolute gun, rather than just a good player. its probably because we carry memories of Tim...who knows.

No one likes too see consistent clangers and the commentators of the game on the telly have picked up on it too.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Clangers?

1) James Hird's run from half back and poor pass into our foward 50. The rebound went to his man who passed to Reiwoldt for a goal.
2) Leroy Jetta's pass across half foward that went straight to the opposition then down the other end.
3) Chris Heffernan's intercepted handpass at half back that nearly cost us a goal
4) Jason Laycock's dropped sitter on centre wing. Followed up and gave a free kick away. Followed up to St.Kilda's goal square at a ball up, and missed the tap and Reiwoldt snapped a goal. 3 "clangers" in succession!

Yet no mention of them. Just Pev & Watson.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

5) Stanton kicking 50m across St Kilda's goal to a St K player for a quick goal.

But it's not just clagners/turnovers.

Often Essendon players get the ball from a Peverill or Watson kick, they just have to work harder to get it than if it hit them lace out.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac wrote:5) Stanton kicking 50m across St Kilda's goal to a St K player for a quick goal.

But it's not just clagners/turnovers.

Often Essendon players get the ball from a Peverill or Watson kick, they just have to work harder to get it than if it hit them lace out.
I agree with that. It does happen a fair bit. I think Pev often has to dispose of the ball under pressure because he actually throws himself into a contest more often than not. At least he busts a gut in an attempt to get the ball going our way, and sometimes, it has to be a mongrel of a pass. That's my view anyway :wink: