The Team (for our second final in July) vs Western Bulldogs

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Now come on Staggy...surely it depends on the individaul player. I mean playing a 17 year old Dustin Fletcher on the likes of Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Modra etc etc in 1993 didn't exactly kill Fletcher's career.

Slattery played on Nick Dal Santo in his debut last year and cut him a new one.

It depends on the individual player, some really revel in being the big taks, overs would be overwhelmed by it. Obviously the coaches would be the ones who would best be able to judge in which one of those categories Hislop falls into.

Besides if he does get play on Johnson and gets smashed then it will be the coaches who get torched not Hislop. Whereas, if he does play on him and beats him, he's just set his career up very nicely.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

ealesy wrote:Now come on Staggy...surely it depends on the individaul player. I mean playing a 17 year old Dustin Fletcher on the likes of Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Modra etc etc in 1993 didn't exactly kill Fletcher's career.

It depends on the individual player, some really revel in being the big taks, overs would be overwhelmed by it. Obviously the coaches would be the ones who would best be able to judge in which one of those categories Hislop falls into.

Besides if he does get play on Johnson and gets smashed then it will be the coaches who get torched not Hislop. Whereas, if he does play on him and beats him, he's just set his career up very nicely.
That's all fair enough. I would make a couple of points though.

Fletcher was obviously an exceptional talent. I am yet to see that from Hislop yet. Secondly, we only started playing Fletcher on big players after half a season where we knew he could play well at full back.

Thirdly - Hislop isn't even a full back! He was drafted as a midfielder, and has been playing there for Bendigo. So why would you play him out of position, on a very very good player, in his second game?

Lastly, I wasnt suggesting that Hislop would come under fire if he played on Johnson and stuffed up - you are right in saying that the coaching staff would cop that. What I am saying is that getting destroyed in your first few games can be very detrimental to a young player's development as they can lose a lot of confidence in themselves. Keps last year is a prime example, and Zac Dawson is another.

And for the record, I think that McPhee will probably get Johnson.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I'd rather see Hislop off a HBF or even on the wing. I think there are better options to go to Johnson, such as McPhee, Nash and Slattery.

Paddy Ryder (if he plays) would be a good match up also. He is quick as all hell and has the distinct height advantage.

At the end of the day, the game will be won and lost in the ruck duels. If Hille and Laycock beat Street and Darcy, we should win quite easily. Our forward line is far more powerful than their defence.

Welsh will play on Gilbee and keep him honest, Lucas should maul Hargraves or Williams and Lloyd will hoefully be set for a big one after missing last week.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Rossoneri wrote: Lucas should maul Hargraves
******* oath - but despite being a great performer for us this year Scotty has been playing too much from behind recently, and trying to take marks without jumping toward the football - too often giving defenders the chance to spoil. Harsh maybe for such a champion player - but could really be burning if he improved this.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Staggy wrote:
ealesy wrote:Now come on Staggy...surely it depends on the individaul player. I mean playing a 17 year old Dustin Fletcher on the likes of Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Modra etc etc in 1993 didn't exactly kill Fletcher's career.

That's all fair enough. I would make a couple of points though.

Fletcher was obviously an exceptional talent. I am yet to see that from Hislop yet. Secondly, we only started playing Fletcher on big players after half a season where we knew he could play well at full back.

Thirdly - Hislop isn't even a full back! He was drafted as a midfielder, and has been playing there for Bendigo. So why would you play him out of position, on a very very good player, in his second game?

Lastly, I wasnt suggesting that Hislop would come under fire if he played on Johnson and stuffed up - you are right in saying that the coaching staff would cop that. What I am saying is that getting destroyed in your first few games can be very detrimental to a young player's development as they can lose a lot of confidence in themselves. Keps last year is a prime example, and Zac Dawson is another.

And for the record, I think that McPhee will probably get Johnson.
Comparing anyone to Fletch is a harsh comparison. He is one of the all-time greats.

Johnson is the primary target and we need to put a tagger on him. He plays like a midfeilder up forward and whoever is on him has to be competely focussed on that role. Slatts or Nash i would say. It is just so painful to have the smiling assassin's kryptonite sitting on the pine.....

Bit harsh on Lucas, the guy is delivering every game and has pulled out of the fire on 2 occasions this year.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

I wouldn't be surprised if Sheeds plays Hislop on Johnson, he does have a habit of putting young players on big names.

Hislop is a bit taller, a bit heavier than Johnson, but is also very quick. He is quite good overhead and a fantastic tackler. He certainly has the attributes to play on Johnson, except of course he is lacking experience big time.

I agree that Slattery might play on im, not so sure about Nash as he is more of a rebound defender, where as Slattery is better at shutting down his opponent.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I reckon SLattery should take Johnson.
If M Johnson takes him we are screwed.
Maybe McPhee, who wouldn't be too slow and has the extra height.

On Johns, I still think he has a lot to learn. The guy is a full-forward but he leads all the way to half-back. Someone else could be getting that kick and then we'd still have two targets up forward. With him behind the ball, the opposition can swamp Lucas. (last week).
Plus last year he tired himself out early by making too many long leads.
Just keep it simple - lead from the square and stay withing 60m of goal.
Doesn't matter for this week though.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

[quote="j-mac"]
On Johns, ...
quote]

Correct-a-mundo.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

j-mac wrote:I reckon SLattery should take Johnson.
If M Johnson takes him we are screwed.
Maybe McPhee, who wouldn't be too slow and has the extra height.

On Johns, I still think he has a lot to learn. The guy is a full-forward but he leads all the way to half-back. Someone else could be getting that kick and then we'd still have two targets up forward. With him behind the ball, the opposition can swamp Lucas. (last week).
Plus last year he tired himself out early by making too many long leads.
Doesn't matter for this week though.
Yeah, could that be a tactic so Lucas and Lloyd can have more space to move in. Whenever i see Johns leading that far, i think he's done it on purpose to give time for Lucas to lead up in the space left.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Maybe. But when one of Lloyd or Lucas is out (like last week) it mean that there is only one target up forward and the other team can double- and triple-team him.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.